The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #1,006 of 1,866
Not me

May 19, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #1,008 of 1,866
May 19, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,009 of 1,866
Sorry for asking however can I have a detailed explanation of "the fart"
My understanding is it is limited to the round 007/009? and not the Lambdas?

I don't have it with my L300L

May 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,010 of 1,866
Sorry for asking however can I have a detailed explanation of "the fart"
My understanding is it is limited to the round 007/009? and not the Lambdas?

I don't have it with my L300L

The fart you would also get on old lambdas. The newer lambdas have a baffle which makes an ineffective seal much like the 007 sz2 which equates to more upper bass punch and prescense but at the lack of extention. If you close the baffle you will get back the STAX fart and have linear bass extention like planars. Side effect is potentially loosing a decent amount of the overall warmth for better bass extention

May 19, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,012 of 1,866
The fart you would also get on old lambdas. The newer lambdas have a baffle which makes an ineffective seal much like the 007 sz2 which equates to more upper bass punch and prescense but at the lack of extention. If you close the baffle you will get back the STAX fart and have linear bass extention like planars. Side effect is potentially loosing a decent amount of the overall warmth for better bass extention

Got it
Thanks

May 22, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,014 of 1,866
Does anybody have a solution if the unit creaks when moving the cable?

Look at red line
https://ibb.co/g84Ji8

When moving the cable a little bit, by moving the head, you can hear a creak in the headphone
I would like to eleminate that noise.

You can test it manually by turning the calbe a little bit by hand

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,017 of 1,866
Bicycle chain dry lube, or melted paraffin (candle) wax (heated to 300 degree Fahrenheit) is the cleanest and most durable solution. Silicon lube dries up fast when exposed to air, and attracts dust. Paraffin wax doesn't evaporate, and doesn't attract dust. I dry lubed all the hinges in my home a decade ago because they were all creaky, and to this day not one of them whispers a sound. Never had to reapply.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,018 of 1,866
I just got a SRM-T1 and might get a L700 later this year. I've read some comments that the L700 pairs very well with tube driver units. Does anyone have experience with the L700/T1 or other tube driver? I would be interested in hearing more thoughts.

Hi first I had the SR-L700 with a SRM-323A and a Gumby Schiit dac but I upgraded to an Ayre QB-9 24/96 and a SRM-T1S and an old Siltech balanced cable. Now I am happy. I lost a lot of sharpnes in the treble. The SRM T1-S is a bit newer than the T1 still quite old but the sound is convincing. At the moment I don't have more money to spend, I would like the KGST once but it is 3000 dollar/ euro. Now I am happy for a while and I can think not upgrading is for free. I advice the T1-S is a better buy than the srm-323A/323S. I liked the Gumby but the Ayre is more forgiving for normal recordings. I guess it gives everything the high end sauce. There is an Ayre QB-9 DSD that should sound much better but at a price. I had to settle for the 24/96. The machine makes music, what more can I ask?

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,019 of 1,866
Hi first I had the SR-L700 with a SRM-323A and a Gumby Schiit dac but I upgraded to an Ayre QB-9 24/96 and a SRM-T1S and an old Siltech balanced cable. Now I am happy. I lost a lot of sharpnes in the treble. The SRM T1-S is a bit newer than the T1 still quite old but the sound is convincing. At the moment I don't have more money to spend, I would like the KGST once but it is 3000 dollar/ euro. Now I am happy for a while and I can think not upgrading is for free. I advice the T1-S is a better buy than the srm-323A/323S. I liked the Gumby but the Ayre is more forgiving for normal recordings. I guess it gives everything the high end sauce. There is an Ayre QB-9 DSD that should sound much better but at a price. I had to settle for the 24/96. The machine makes music, what more can I ask?

You did good. The consensus is that the T1 series (T1,T1S, T1W, 006) does an excellent job driving any of the Lambda series, and while the more expensive amps ike the KGST are better, they really come into their own driving the SR--007/009. In fact the KGST is in many ways a more refined and powerful T1.

One thing, because the T1 amps are at least 20 years old, it is a good idea to replace all the electrolytic capacitors, as electrolytic capacitor's design lifetime is around 20 years, That should be less than $100 in parts, plus an hour or so technician time, if you don't do it yourself.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #1,020 of 1,866
Hello everyone. I have modded my L700 in various ways and i will report I now get the STAX fart. The bass is far more linear but I did lose some of that warmth that the L700 had due to the imperfect seal. Bass seems to be of way higher quality now though! Although less impact is felt extention is better. Overall it sounds a lot like the 009 now, uncannily so. I want to bring it with me sometime to put it right next to the 009 and A/B test it. It does still of course carry some of the Lambda series quirks still. Upper mids still have a rise for example and it still has that relaxed soothing character of the L700 in the highs. For me I suppose it really is a hybrid between the 009 and the Lambda series in sound, almost like a more laid back 009 with some weeb tuning in its bones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back