The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #526 of 1,866
@Ali-Pacha

I read your older post about the L700 seal and your point is duly noted. As humans are different, our opinions also differ & it keeps the headphone world interesting.

Exactly because of the L700 design developments, all noted on the Stax site, redundant to repeat here, I would like to know what the very particular sonic differences are with SR-L700 Lambda vs the other greatest Lambdas to now. It is a valid comparison to me.

It could be hard for folks to go from memory, and A-B test comparisons is best, however most of the models I listed were made in small numbers to sell, and also hard to find; however these are great Lambdas and don't deserve being written off at all, for any reason but preference.

The models I'm most hoping to read an L700 comparison to, are -

Airbow/Stax SR-SC11
Stax SR-404LE (LTD, Limited)
Koss ESP-950
KingSound KS-H3 (non-Lambda type)

I own these 4 headphone models (& other Lambdas as a fan) and am contemplating buying a L700, but wish I could get a good feel of the exact specific sonic differences of the L700.

Have you heard any of these 4 listed models (or the last 2 Airbow models listed below) ; if so, do you recall any sonic impressions ? - I know that is hard if not A-B hearing for particulars.

Don't want to detail the listed 4 models' differences, as it will sidetrack the thread too far & really just want to know about the L700 sound comparatively.

The other 2 models to throw in comparison to L700 are -

Airbow/Stax SR-SC21
Airbow/Stax SR-SC1

If knowing L700 comparison to those last 2 models, a really good idea of some sonic characteristics would present, to apply to SR-SC11, knowing already how the 3 Airbows differ.

Note - we already have posts in this thread of SR-507 vs L700, which also gives a partial sonic glimpse of SR-SC21 relatively.

If anyone has L700 and any 1 or more of the other 6 listed models above, please give us your A-B sound impressions, hopefully on same amp, but OK if amp differs too.

beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #527 of 1,866
There's a thread on another site with a lot of intel about how different Lambdas sound + measurements.

I didn't listen to any of those in your list. Airbow are almost non existent on the market outside japan, 404LE should be not that far from a mix between 407 and LNS, and if KS-H3 are somewhere close to the KS-H4 I've listened to, they should be horrible 
biggrin.gif

All the Lambdas I've listened to share common traits. Lambda NB are about midrange, Lambda Signature are close with more air and technicality, LNS are flatter and somehow dull without severe amplification, 303/407 are punchier but a bit shouty in 1-2 khz region...but all of them have the same diffuse-and-narrow soundstage, the same flat bass (a little less with NB) very dependent on how they seal on your head, the same smooth but not that detailed highs.

L700 are quite different because of a larger soundstage (not 009 not to say HD800 style) thanks to deeper pads + cups, the low-mids hump and somehow low-fi bass because of the leak (very specific), and technicality / highs with 009 flavour you don't have on any other Lambda I've tried.

They're still Lambdas and estat, don't get me wrong, we're talking about differences far smaller than estat vs. edyn vs. ortho 
redface.gif

Ali

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #528 of 1,866
@Ali-Pacha

It helps somewhat better. The SR-SC11 and SR-404LE smooth out that 1-2 KHz shoutiness well. Also have LNB & LNS here too, and agree with your thoughts. KS-H3 are much more analytical, colder than H4, and place in mid-line Lambda pack, but bass is actually pretty nice.

For Lambda soundstage improvement & Stax-refined EQ, I sometimes run any of my Lambdas thru either my Stax ED-1 Monitor or my Stax ED-1 Signature. These boxes serve both functions in headphone EQ tweaking & sound-field expanse. The 2 units are similar but differ a bit in their calibration, and were made for specific Lambda models. Still, some different Lambdas improve soundstage with these units. Some improve greatly (especialy models designed for), and some don't match exactly, but those are due to fixed EQ of box. Will switch boxes in or out for certain music, and some is really nice.

With Stax, we often are splitting hairs between models' characteristics !

Have a better idea now of L700 comparatively. Could you also describe L700 bass (sub-bass, bass to mid-bass) to any of the best other Lambda bass you've heard, please ? The bass seems to be described so differently on different sites & posts, and is confusing, especially site that starts with "S". Any details about the bass can really help, please. Thanks.

beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #529 of 1,866
@Ali-Pacha

Went back and read thru the other site dedicated L700 thread again, and then also went thru the Compendium there - kudos for your input there, really nice work on Staxen. Thanks for those great posts.

The L700 attracts me as you said with its highs flavoured toward 009, soundstage and assuming great imaging, with mid detail but without shoutiness or glare. I'm just concerned the overall bass character may not ( ? ) be what I'm accustomed to with my best Lambdas ? It could be a deal breaker possibly. That seal difference must really be something if that is the sole design factor contributing to it. I must learn more about all the bass charecteristics before jumping in; almost reads that I may not like the L700, but need more bass description. If it were on an equal bass-basis with my Staxen (or better), I will jump in, off the fence.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #530 of 1,866
You're overthinking things.

At this level of hair-splitting, stay away from fora and their endless blabbering of disposable advices (mine on the first hand), and go try those L700. Maybe you'll like them, maybe not, maybe you'll consider my take of things like pure BS...in the end, what matters is what you like and what you want from your gear 
smile_phones.gif

Ali

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #531 of 1,866
  You're overthinking things.

At this level of hair-splitting, stay away from fora and their endless blabbering of disposable advices (mine on the first hand), and go try those L700. Maybe you'll like them, maybe not, maybe you'll consider my take of things like pure BS...in the end, what matters is what you like and what you want from gear 
smile_phones.gif

Ali

Good advice.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #533 of 1,866
I have been reading this and wondering: right now I have Basic 2107 system with srm-252s and sr-207. And the sound is amazing. If I purchase sr-L700, and still use 252s to power them, what the outcome would be? Honestly I think they will work just fine:) Also, I realize this is big upgrade, but is it worth it 207s are awesome, I wish I could listen to them (700) somewhere ..

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #534 of 1,866
  I have been reading this and wondering: right now I have Basic 2107 system with srm-252s and sr-207. And the sound is amazing. If I purchase sr-L700, and still use 252s to power them, what the outcome would be? Honestly I think they will work just fine:) Also, I realize this is big upgrade, but is it worth it 207s are awesome, I wish I could listen to them (700) somewhere ..

Depends on a couple of things, first, how sensitive you are to amplifier differences (some people are, some aren't), and second, how loudly you listen.  The major limitation of the SRM-252 is the low amount of current drive it has, due to its small size and hence limited heat capacity (the more current, the bigger the heatsinks you need).  This really becomes apparent as you crank up the volume, but if you listen at low volumes it is much less apparent.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #535 of 1,866

I currently own both the 2170 system, and L700 with SRM-1 Mk2 Pro amp. However, I can't give you comparative listening impressions as the L700 rig was sent off to a YouTube reviewer. I agree, my 207's (with "straw mod") are pretty darn close to ideal! But I couldn't pass up the chance to own L700 when I found one for the right price :)

Depends on a couple of things, first, how sensitive you are to amplifier differences (some people are, some aren't), and second, how loudly you listen.  The major limitation of the SRM-252 is the low amount of current drive it has, due to its small size and hence limited heat capacity (the more current, the bigger the heatsinks you need).  This really becomes apparent as you crank up the volume, but if you listen at low volumes it is much less apparent.

Ahh, that makes sense, thanks! I have Old Man Ears and prefer my music on the quiet side....but again, found an SRM-1 cheap enough that I couldn't resist :)

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #537 of 1,866

but if you listen at low volumes it is much less apparent.

Thanks, I actually always prefer low volume, rich sound, that 207 is providing, and I was expecting for someone that has both to come out and say: its night and day. Perhaps that's not the case. They are 12 13 hundred on ebay, I am not sure anymore.
But wait, what about comfort? I have this pads on them: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-angled-hybrid and cant say they are bad, I just prefer the sound when the original pads (not so comfy) are on them.

I forgot one other thing: the 207 I have sound noticably better after the amp was on for a few hours and 207s were connected to them. Does the same thing happen to L700s?

Thanks 

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #538 of 1,866

I currently own both the 2170 system, and L700 with SRM-1 Mk2 Pro amp. However, I can't give you comparative listening impressions as the L700 rig was sent off to a YouTube reviewer. I agree, my 207's (with "straw mod") are pretty darn close to ideal! But I couldn't pass up the chance to own L700 when I found one for the right price :)
Ahh, that makes sense, thanks! I have Old Man Ears and prefer my music on the quiet side....but again, found an SRM-1 cheap enough that I couldn't resist :)

HI i must have missed it but what is the "straw mod"

thanks

d

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #539 of 1,866
  Z Reviews?

Yes, Sir.

HI i must have missed it but what is the "straw mod"

thanks

d

The Stax earpads are glued on. To port them for a little better bass, cut a roughly 1" section of common plastic straw (or heat shrink I guess, as someone else posted). Peel up one corner of the pad (I like the bottom corners facing my neck), slip the straw underneath, and smush the pad back down.

In principle, it works sort of like porting a subwoofer.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #540 of 1,866
I have reached the point in which i want to dive into the world of ear speakers. Ive never owned a tube amp. What model should i buy ?
I have demoed tons of gear.

Headphones: utopia, hek/v2, hd800/s, Sem1, Z1r, D-7200, Ether /flow/ c/ flow, k812, w-5000, 1000z/x, srh1540/1840, Sine, Pm-1.
Iems: se846, ie800, kse 1500, isine 20, k3003

Amp/dac: burson, chord, schiit, hifiman, sony, A&K, beyerdynamic, Oppo.

Should i just buy the top model LR-700 & 007 tIIor 727 II and forget it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back