The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #513 of 1,866

biggrin.gif

Honestly, my point was everyone is untitled to their opinion. That is but one data point.

Agreed...and I've more often than not disagreed with his data points. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #517 of 1,866
I have been reading this thread for a while and trying to figure out whether to buy and L700 or just keep saving pennies for the 009.  I have no place where I can try them out so I have to buy.  I vacillate regularly between the two options or just sticking with my Senn HD800S.  There are a few outliers here from time to time but I have come to recognize we all have different audio preferences and hearing which results in wildly differing opinions.  Different sources and playback systems add to the divergent opinions.  

So since the data points are all over the place one day I think to myself "do nothing the 800s is very good,"  then we get a post that says 009 is still the top dog so I shift my focus back to buying them. Then someone says they like the 007, L500 or L300 better than any of them.  Who am I to argue, I've never heard any of them.  Then I think I'll just buy the L700 which is where I've had my eye pricewise. That lasts for a day until I think if I buy the L700 I may then wonder forever just how much better the 009 really is, or the 007 which some like more.

Nobody is going to make this decision for me.  At the end of the day all the odd data points and outliers have served to assure me that the whole neighborhood is pretty good and odds are I may need to try several of the phones mentioned here to find the one I like the best.  Isn't it really always that way?

Today I'm thinking I'll buy the 009 but a good price on a used L700 and 353X amp might tempt me... 

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #518 of 1,866
I'd go with L700 and try to find a used stax tube amp to pair with rather than buying a new 353x. I'd only push it to sr-009 once I could make sure this is the kind of sound I am after.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #519 of 1,866
Yeah, I found a decent deal on a used L700 and SRM-1 Mk2 Pro. Someone FAR more knowledgeable than myself asserted to me that SRM-1 is fairly comparable to the (new) 353......just MUCH cheaper because it's 20 years old :p

Look at SRM-1 prices, you could be pleasantly surprised :)

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #520 of 1,866
Congrats on your new fine acquisition ! Well done !

Figured these 2 ss amps are pretty close; SRM1-MK2 Pro is quite fine & powerful amp, and possibly currently replaced by SRM-353X.

Anticipate your sound impressions when these arrive to you after some good listening sessions & compared to your other Stax system !

Since new SR-L500 is extremely close to SR-507, guessing strongly SR-L700 may be best Lambda now, some may have preferences either way.

SR-L700 and ZMF Eikon Padauk are the only headphones I desire & are saving up for now.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #521 of 1,866
Eager to read impressions, if anyone has heard comparison and can post, of -

Stax SR-L700 vs...(any of the following great lambda-types) -

Airbow/Stax SR-SC11

Stax SR-404 LE (LTD, Limited)

Koss ESP-950

KingSound KS-H3 (noted design is non-lambda type)

Airbow/Stax SR-SC21

Airbow/Stax SR-SC1

Hopefully tested on same amp as SR-L700 preferably, but otherwise OK too.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #524 of 1,866
joke aside
biggrin.gif
 i know the one of the reason why Katz hear 009 so bad. One of the reason is Tyll's KGSSSRE is not tubed amp.
here is the evidence why almost Stax HPs needs tube amps to sound just right for some. almost past Stax HPs ware voiced/tuned for tubed amps.
ofcouse L700 can sound right with cheap used Stax tube amps.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650210/stax-interview-and-factory-tour-12-12-12

"11. What amplifier does Stax uses to design your earspeakers? For instance do you use high power amps like the T2 or production amps for the design and / or final voicing?

[Mr. Meguro] Until recently, we used the SRM-T1(tubed) as the base. It is a product with a long history. It started as the T1(tube), then the T1S(tubed) and the 006t(tubed). Currently, we are using 2 production models as references, the SRM-727A solid-state and SRM-007tA tube amps."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back