The Stax SR-507 Thread
Jun 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #241 of 361
I've actually been thinking of the same setup as pixelcity's for the last few months, only difference is that I'll probably get them from a Canadian dealer, whom told me I'll get some warranty.

I'm just a bit worried about the channel imbalances which seem to plague electrostats. Is it a common thing (although it seems to affect more of the 009s rather than the 507s)? Although if the 323S can change the channel balances, then I guess that could be a temporary fix?

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #242 of 361
I highly recommend the 323s / SR-507 combo. 
I plunged right in without really appreciating any of the imbalance complaints, so knock on wood nothing bad happens. I just had a listen to some of my recent favorite tracks on my NHT Super Ones - I couldn't crank them this late, so they were no where as exciting as the 507s. Even still, the 507s perform really well at low volumes - better than the Super Ones. They just lack the beautiful stereo imaging of my monitors.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #243 of 361
I have to say, the SR-507s really show what a nice pair of HPs the Denon D5000s are too. I was worried I would come home to NY and hate the Denons. Yes they are colored and somewhat veiled in comparison. They don't give me shivers as though I were sitting at a live venue. But they do wrap me up in a lovely warm blanket of sound. Really toe tapping. So Denons will stay in NY, and my Stax will be the on-the-road rig. Realiser will be in tow with me wherever I go :)

I suppose all is well enough. The Denons, although considered laid back by many, are perfect cans for short bursts of fun listening; (just about all I can get while home with the family). And don't even ask me how fun bass boost is on my C5D with the Denons 
L3000.gif

While the Stax sink me into a land of music enjoyment I can only afford when by myself (i.e. alone in a hotel room). I am really spoiling myself here.

Edit: well the Smyth Realizer A8 is amazing

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #244 of 361
Another vote for SR-507+SRM-323s combo.
Having the combo for a week, wired to Audiolab M-DAC.
My cochlear nerves are "rewiring" now for electrostatic sound after 20 yrs of listening to dynamic cans.
I was afraid that they will lack in bass, but they produce a plenty of bass, quite on par with bass my Senns HD-700 can pump.
Well, HD-700 produce more "lower and tactile" bass, but SR-507 transparency, music details and transients are unbelievable to my virgin-to-electrostatics ears...
Now I have a lot of gigabytes of music to pass through with SR-507...I'm settled for a long time I guess..

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #245 of 361
I have the 507 / 323s combo also, fed by a chord Hugo and a halide DAC HD on rotation.

I recently owned the 009 / 007tII Kimk system, but I sent it back. It was already used, so had burned in. It was very good indeed, but couldn't justify the extra money. It didn't necessarily sound better to my ears, just different. The 507 has a more impactful, bouncy bass and a bit more immediacy. The 009 sounded nice and natural, but a bit sleepy and softer in the bass. I prefer the classic design of the 507 also, and the smaller 323s energiser on the desk,

I was really surprised, I was gearing up to pack the 507 away and move on when the 009 parcel arrived. But no, the 507 / 323s system has stayed.

I also sold my Audeze LCDX recently, as the 507 is so much more transparent, and much more comfortable too!

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #247 of 361
I have the 507 / 323s combo also, fed by a chord Hugo and a halide DAC HD on rotation.

I recently owned the 009 / 007tII Kimk system, but I sent it back. It was already used, so had burned in. It was very good indeed, but couldn't justify the extra money. It didn't necessarily sound better to my ears, just different. The 507 has a more impactful, bouncy bass and a bit more immediacy. The 009 sounded nice and natural, but a bit sleepy and softer in the bass. I prefer the classic design of the 507 also, and the smaller 323s energiser on the desk,

I was really surprised, I was gearing up to pack the 507 away and move on when the 009 parcel arrived. But no, the 507 / 323s system has stayed.

I also sold my Audeze LCDX recently, as the 507 is so much more transparent, and much more comfortable too!

I've never heard the 507's, but did you get the chance to hear the 009's with either the BHSE or KGSSHV ?

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #248 of 361
I've never heard the 507's, but did you get the chance to hear the 009's with either the BHSE or KGSSHV ?

No, afraid not. I just had the Kimik and the 323s amps. 

Don't get me wrong, the 009/007tII was a great system (and many say even greater with non Stax amps) but there was just something too laid back about overall, and £6k vs £1.5k is a big difference. I tried the 009 on the 323s also, which was different to the 007tII, but I still kept going back to the 507 / 323s. 

On the plus side for the 009, they were extremely comfortable and well made. Stunning. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #249 of 361
Obviously it's down to how much can be afforded when getting audio equipment, but after hearing the 009's with the SRM-007t and 717, then hearing them with the BHSE and KGSSHV, I'd never get any of the available Stax amps.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #250 of 361
Obviously it's down to how much can be afforded when getting audio equipment, but after hearing the 009's with the SRM-007t and 717, then hearing them with the BHSE and KGSSHV, I'd never get any of the available Stax amps.

In my personal experience, the SQ of a system affected by:
Transducer -> Source -> Amplifier (in that order). In my book, fancy interconnects and power cords are for audiophools.
Having auditioned same dynamic cans with various amps my ears tells me that difference is negligible.
Does in STAX universe one have to invest $5K in amplification to unleash the sound that STAX own's amp are incapable of?
Or we enter the psycho-acoustic territory here, where more expensive component sound/tastes better? 

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #251 of 361
That's the eternal question! 
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #252 of 361
In my personal experience, the SQ of a system affected by:
Transducer -> Source -> Amplifier (in that order). In my book, fancy interconnects and power cords are for audiophools.
Having auditioned same dynamic cans with various amps my ears tells me that difference is negligible.
Does in STAX universe one have to invest $5K in amplification to unleash the sound that STAX own's amp are incapable of?
Or we enter the psycho-acoustic territory here, where more expensive component sound/tastes better? 

So I take it you've not heard either the BHSE and or the KGSSHV.

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #254 of 361

Since you have, enlighten us !

Plenty has already been posted about both amps especially the BHSE, so I don't think I need to add to that plenty.
Rather than read others thoughts between the BHSE / KGSSHV and available Stax amps, the best thing to do is audition.

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #255 of 361

Ah...I see...according to dates in your album that sexy BHSE is a new toy...
wink_face.gif
...wish you to enjoy it thoroughly,
but why to state that STAX own amps are inadequate, as in your reply to audiokid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back