The Stax SR-507 Thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #256 of 361
Ah...I see...according to dates in your album that sexy BHSE is a new toy...:wink_face: ...wish you to enjoy it thoroughly,
but why to state that STAX own amps are inadequate, as in your reply to audiokid?

I got the BHSE in June 2012 so I wouldn't say it's a new toy.

I say the Stax amps I've heard with the SR-007mk1, mk2 and 009s are inadequate because I'm comparing them to the BHSE and KGSSHV, I've also seen some of the posts written by astrostar59 and the replies he got.

However, the SQ I like will probably differ to what you like so if you're happy with whatever Stax amp you have then enjoy.

I also prefer the BHSE to the KGSSHV driving the 009's which are the Earspeakers I have, but seeing this thread is about the 507's ( Earspeakers I've never heard ) then the Stax amps might make 507's sounds very good.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #257 of 361
I got the BHSE in June 2012 so I wouldn't say it's a new toy.

I say the Stax amps I've heard with the SR-007mk1, mk2 and 009s are inadequate because I'm comparing them to the BHSE and KGSSHV, I've also seen some of the posts written by astrostar59 and the replies he got.

However, the SQ I like will probably differ to what you like so if you're happy with whatever Stax amp you have then enjoy.

I also prefer the BHSE to the KGSSHV driving the 009's which are the Earspeakers I have, but seeing this thread is about the 507's ( Earspeakers I've never heard ) then the Stax amps might make 507's sounds very good.

Such an esoteric amp, with it's price tag and with ~2 yrs wait time is still a new toy, IMO.
BTW, how did you compared them? You used blind listening tests? - You know, that's very subjective hobby...

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #258 of 361
Such an esoteric amp, with it's price tag and with ~2 yrs wait time is still a new toy, IMO.
BTW, how did you compared them? You used blind listening tests? - You know, that's very subjective hobby...

I waited 15 months for my BHSE.

The only amp I heard at the same time as the SRM-007t and 717 was my BHSE, and I didn't do a blind test.
However because the difference ( IMO ) is so obvious I think I could've quite easily known which was the SRM-007 t / 717 ( they are the only two Stax amps I've heard ) and the BHSE.

If you haven't got the funds for a BHSE or are not prepared to wait, then I suggest you never listen to that amp, especially when Psvane EL34PH tubes are being used.

P.S. This is while using the 009's and 007's, I don't know about the 507's, also when using the PH tubes, I found the 009's sound much much better than the 007's, but the 009's give me the SQ I prefer, others will probably feel different and like the 007's more.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #259 of 361
I use the SRM-600 Limited with my 507 and have always been impressed by the bass quality and quantity.  I've also been very impressed with my SRD-7SB box pair with various speaker amp that I own.  I certainly won't be letting go of my 507 for some time and think it's price to performance is one of the best out there.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Sep 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #260 of 361
If you haven't got the funds for a BHSE or are not prepared to wait, then I suggest you never listen to that amp, especially when Psvane EL34PH tubes are being used.

There is better things to do with the time and the money...life is short and the sense of hearing doesn't improve as we grow older. 
Once in a while (~7 yrs) I change the gear and spent the time listening to the music.
Farewell, and enjoy the music דוד 
smile.gif

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #262 of 361
Hi guys,

I have a Woo Audio WES + Stax 507, and I can't be happier! Well, may be with a BHSE + 009...

I bought the WES 1 month ago to a headfi member, and it's totally amazing!! Even though, i'm thinking about sell it and get the "the end of the way", a BHSE. Do you think it worth it to pair with the 507? Or only if I'd buy the 009 in the future?

Sorry for my english....

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #263 of 361
Hi guys,

I have a Woo Audio WES + Stax 507, and I can't be happier! Well, may be with a BHSE + 009...

I bought the WES 1 month ago to a headfi member, and it's totally amazing!! Even though, i'm thinking about sell it and get the "the end of the way", a BHSE. Do you think it worth it to pair with the 507? Or only if I'd buy the 009 in the future?

Sorry for my english....

Hello, 

The biggest improvement for the SQ comes from the headphones. 

Buy an SR-009 and keep the SR-507 headphone with your WES amp.

This way you can listen the music for two, or one if the SR-009 or SR-507 headphone should fail.

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #265 of 361
Hello gusGGG, 

What I meant to say is that the differences in sound quality between amplifiers are generally less pronounced than the differences between headphones. 
The Stax SR-507 is very good, as well as the SR-009, for those who like the sound Stax. As always in Hi-Fi, you must bring a lot more money to get a little better. 
If you like the 507, the 009 should please you even more, especially with a WES amp ; indeed, it is a bit better in everything, compared to the 507.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #267 of 361
Hi Guys - second post i think :), I have a SRM T1 recently serviced & in perfect working order, running my Lambda SR Signature, as these are a fairly old setup I thought I would treat myself to a set of ear speakers - the 507's They will arrive later this coming week, I am looking forward to using them but am wondering exactly what difference they will bring? Anyone here experienced the differences first hand? Thanks Nick

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #269 of 361
I've heard the STAX 009 at several head-fi meets and while it's certainly very impressive overall I find to be only marginally better than the SR-507.  As a matter of sonic preference I would prefer to own the 507 as it seems to sound better with a wider array of music.  The HD800 was another headphone which I felt wasn't a good all-rounder to justify me keeping it.  The most impressive dynamic headphone i've heard is still the K1000 which I hope to own again.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Oct 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #270 of 361
  I've heard the STAX 009 at several head-fi meets and while it's certainly very impressive overall I find to be only marginally better than the SR-507.  As a matter of sonic preference I would prefer to own the 507 as it seems to sound better with a wider array of music.  The HD800 was another headphone which I felt wasn't a good all-rounder to justify me keeping it.  The most impressive dynamic headphone i've heard is still the K1000 which I hope to own again.

I can relate to this. I tried the 009 for a while with the 007tii Kimik. Overall I preferred the 507, well, for the money at least! The 009 were very good but I couldn't decide which I preferred against the 507 after a week of trials. Surely that's a sign to keep the 507. I also like the classic Stax design. Very iconic. 

I also own the HD800 and it's a tough contest. Sometimes I prefer them to the 507 as the spatial qualities are so good. Overall, if I had to keep a pair, I would probably go for the 507 / 323s over the HD800 driven by the Chord Hugo. Each day differs though. A problem to have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back