The Stax Lambda Thread
Sep 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #79 of 101
Stax Lambda Pro SRM-1/MK2 recently updated by Accutech (serial A) with SR-307 is so much more detailed and deeper bass than my old HD600 with silver cables and the Valhalla tube amp. The SR-307 are a major improvement over the original Stax SR V headphones.

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #81 of 101
I have both and belong to the Houston Audio Society whose members have pretty good equipment and often we compare live vs. a recorded version in the same space and at only moments after the artists finish playing. Everybody has an opinion just as I do

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #82 of 101
  I have both and belong to the Houston Audio Society whose members have pretty good equipment and often we compare live vs. a recorded version in the same space and at only moments after the artists finish playing. Everybody has an opinion just as I do

wasn't knocking your opinion.  just disagreeing.  I won't list my credentials.

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #85 of 101
Got mines finally....woooo

What did you get mate?

I have some 404 Signatures and a SRM1 MK2 Pro amp - but the amp had a dead left channel so is at the shop (hopefully) being repaired.
(I bought the amp from the US so hopefully can get it fixed locally - shipping back would be very expensive)
Really keen to have a listen and see what all the fuss is about.

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #86 of 101
What did you get mate?

I have some 404 Signatures and a SRM1 MK2 Pro amp - but the amp had a dead left channel so is at the shop (hopefully) being repaired.
(I bought the amp from the US so hopefully can get it fixed locally - shipping back would be very expensive)

I got some original lambda normal bias and the portable energiser srd-x pro.
Soon i will have some sr-207 as well.
I use a pono player as source, with mainly high quality files (24/96 or higher)
I never trust very much in what others said, tastes can be different.
But yes for me, this is heaven... it is just amazing how this 35 year old things sound
Impressed and very happy...very very happy
I hope you can fix your gear soon. Let us know!

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #87 of 101
Any thoughts here on adding acoustic damping material (e.g., a thin layer of mineral wool, wool batting, cotton) into the outside cavities of Lambda earcups to absorb the outward sound radiation in order to minimize reflections off the earcups' inside surfaces back toward the ears (which interferes with the sound radiation toward the ears, which results in comb filtering and a "phasey" sound)?  I was a long-time SR-X MK 3 user before I first heard Lambdas many years ago.  Unbeknownst to me until recently, SR-Xs DO have thin mineral wool pads in their outer earcups, and their sound character is more direct and much less affected by the external acoustic environment such as hands or cushions near the earcups.  I couldn't believe how much different Lambdas sounded when I first auditioned them.  When I recently learned about the SR-X mineral wool pads, I checked my Lambdas (SR-307s) and found no damping pads at all.  I did an experiment of adding cotton terry cloth (I couldn't find any mineral wool like in my SR-Xs, including from Stax USA's rep Yama's Inc/Accutech) and I find the sound to be an improvement - the inherent phasey comb filtering affect is virtually eliminated, as are effects from the external environment, with no detrimental affect on the sound, at least to my hearing.  Since Stax at least used to do this with the SR-Xs, and it's so easily done with relatively cheap material, I'm wondering why they stopped doing it with the Lambdas - what am I missing?  I wonder if some prefer the relatively phasey Lambda sound because, although it's an acoustic artifact, it sounds like added ambience or "air" (just as planar speakers do to a larger degree with room reflections over a broader and lower frequency range), to which most audiophiles are attracted.  Am I nuts, or possibly onto something here?  The only semi-related thing that I've found on the Stax forums here, quite different though, is adding sorbothane to dampen mechanical resonances of earcups and transducer assemblies.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #88 of 101

What did you get mate?

I got some original lambda normal bias and the portable energiser srd-x pro.
Soon i will have some sr-207 as well.
I use a pono player as source, with mainly high quality files (24/96 or higher)
I never trust very much in what others said, tastes can be different.
But yes for me, this is heaven... it is just amazing how this 35 year old things sound
Impressed and very happy...very very happy
I hope you can fix your gear soon. Let us know!

I forgot about this thread.
Shop said the amp was fine but the HP needed a new driver.
Thank goodness they couldn't source one!
Found a tech who actually knew about STAX gear, and a couple hunde=red $ later the amp was working, with all new caps. and a few other parts replaced.
I've been enjoying - very much - for a few weeks now.

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #89 of 101
I need some help!º1

I have a STAX Lambda (I believe they came with the SRD 7/SB). I need to know the internal connections of the earpads. The ground, the positive and the negative! I can't find the information anywhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back