The STAX finally arrived...
Jun 5, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #76 of 94
cmon man, having had these things for this long you should be bragging them up pretty good by now. you cant tell me your not happy with them! stax rule and you should be telling the world.......

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
cmon man, having had these things for this long you should be bragging them up pretty good by now. you cant tell me your not happy with them! stax rule and you should be telling the world.......

Hehe.... I don't like bragging.. and it's not that I have much to brag anyway... Unless I have those Sondek CDP....
icon10.gif

But don't worry, I am happy with the system.. But just didn't have that much time to listen to them at the moment... So far I think they only had 10 hrs playing time on them...

So far, accoustic guitar sounds very very good with them.
Jack Johnson - Sitting, Waiting, Wishing is just a pure joy to listen to using Stax. Lots of guitar goodness there. Especially the intro...

Hmmm... should I just burn in the headphones or not... Because at this rate I'm listening, it's not going to be burned til at least 2007.
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Hmmm... should I just burn in the headphones or not... Because at this rate I'm listening, it's not going to be burned til at least 2007.
icon10.gif

Just burn them, methinks. Tell your partner you'll treat her to a candlelit dinner and some romantic outings if she puts up with the sounds coming from the headphones for a week - offer to do the dishes, get affectionate whenever she gets that "About to complain" twist to the features. Any little manipulative trick you can think of
wink.gif

I doubt the burn-in will be very effective done a few hours at a time. This is just speculation, but methinks if you keep at it as you have you'll be adding a significant amount to that 200hr figure. If possible, heft your system to a spare room/distant corner of a large room and partition it off, then set it playing and leave it. IMO, the best advantage of this sort of practice is after you've left it to burn in completely, then listen to it again, you'll be able to tell all the changes immediately, rather than missing most of them if you listen to them as they burn in. Just my 0.02c worth
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, i remain undecided if the masses of Head Fi are more envious of your new Stax, or your digital camera...
blink.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #79 of 94
Heh... Nobody will be envious with 500 bucks cam,
tongue.gif
Unless I own one of those Hasselblad stuff.

Anyway, yeah, I'll try to burn them in for a few hours tonight when I go home, and maybe start doing this little routine for awhile and see how far I can go...

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #80 of 94
Quote:

Anyway, yeah, I'll try to burn them in for a few hours tonight when I go home, and maybe start doing this little routine for awhile and see how far I can go...

Your decision
tongue.gif
I couldn't resist with my new Grados either... i should have left them home today to complete the burn-in... but i couldn't pass up the first oppertunity to take em to work. Not as many "omg look at THAT freak!" stares as i'd thought
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
hey mocok please refresh my memory cause I can't remember the thread: why did you settle on the 404 with the 313 instead of the 4040 signature system (with the tube amp)? (costs about 300 more for starters...)

You answered the question by yourself there... 300 bucks... hehe... I think it's slightly more than that.. You can say the tube energizer costs twice as much as the SRM313.
And reading the review by Srajan Ebaen (6Moons), he pretty much implied that the 4040 isn't worth the price considering how close the 313 gets you...

You know with the 300 bucks I save, I can get some decent interconnects, or some ice cream or something you see...
biggrin.gif

But the headphone is different story. the 404 and 303 costs only a tad difference. I think around 100 bucks... Although many mentioned that they sound pretty much similar, but the improvement in the cable quality itself is well worth it already IMO.
Plus, I personally think the "disgusting brown" colour looks better than the "plain old boring grey" one.
icon10.gif

But seriously, they (the 404) actually don't look that cheap and ugly in real life, especially after you feel them and put them on your head.
I think they seriously need to change the picture in the website since the colour doesn't really look like that (ugly) in real life.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #83 of 94
hmmmm very tempted to buy them myself (though I still need a source).
Wonder if the k1000 are compatible with the 313 amp

...reading the 6moons review now...

huh...the review reads like I should jump off of the fence and get the same combo before it's too late 'specially since I could just leapfrog the K501 cans and go for the k1000s
k1000smile.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #84 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
hmmmm very tempted to buy them myself (though I still need a source).
Wonder if the k1000 are compatible with the 313 amp

...reading the 6moons review now...

huh...the review reads like I should jump off of the fence and get the same combo before it's too late 'specially since I could just leapfrog the K501 cans and go for the k1000s
k1000smile.gif

AKG K1000's ?
They are a very different animal and will not work with the Stax 313 amp, as the latter is designed for the Stax electrostatic range only.

Setmenu

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #85 of 94
Quote:

Plus, I personally think the "disgusting brown" colour looks better than the "plain old boring grey" one.
icon10.gif

No, no, no! The 303 are not plain old boring grey. They are "fresh mediterranean olive" (that's what I try to tell myself
lambda.gif
).

Regards,

L.

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #86 of 94
The "plain old boring grey" one reminds me of Computers from 1980's...

But anyway, I think once you put your "plain old boring grey" headphones, they suddenly become not so boring anymore eh ?
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #87 of 94
I am new to team STAX. I rececived my SR-404 on thursday and opened it on Friday at the FL meet. I liked what I saw...nice color and nice headband but the driver housing suspension was a bit flimsy. I have to make alternatives for that...maybe mould it and make one out of aluminum...

My new SR-404s seem to be changed in design. The driver is prominently visible through the grille and it has a red colored ring around it. What does your SR-303 driver look like? I will post pics in another thread shortly.

Sound - very nice until you make the mistake of hearing an Orpheus. For those of you on the fence...I prefer the SR-404's forwardness and gradoness to the sluggish and chocolatey darkness of the Omega-II. the Omega-II REALLY sounds dark in comparison...wow! The Orpheus pwns all so dont listen to one or else you cannot go back to the SR-404 for a few days.

I still dont have an amp but I expect to have a 007T or KGSS in a couple of weeks...havent decided which way to go.

gs

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #88 of 94
GS:

So you do find the "disgusting brown" quite attractive?
icon10.gif

Which part did you mean was flimsy again ? I couldn't see any flimsy part in the headphones, only "risky part"...

I was looking at the 404 design the other day, observing the drivers and such, and noticed the sponge-like material that covers the inner driver, and I almost poke it out of curiosity...

And then I suddenly regained my saneness and remember that 0.13 or something micron thing, that means I WILL damage the thing if I poke them ?

But those soft thingy inside the drivers are just asking to be poked seriously... they keep telling me "Poke me..." "Poke me..."

But whatever you do, DO NOT POKE THE DRIVERS... I repeat, DO NOT POKE THE DRIVERS...
icon10.gif

Ok, on more serious note, I do not find the 404 forward as in Grado though, but for some weird reason, I find the tonal quality is similar with my MS2 (but better)...
Anyone find this as well?
If not, maybe it's just because of my source or the cable, I'm not sure. Or maybe I have hearing problem... Or maybe it's the whole idea of not having them burned in yet...
tongue.gif

But I might be wrong though, because I haven't really seriously observe the sound... I don't like to do that anyway... I usually just put them on and enjoy them...

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #89 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
My new SR-404s seem to be changed in design. The driver is prominently visible through the grille and it has a red colored ring around it. What does your SR-303 driver look like?

In my SR-303 the elements and the red rings are quite clearly visible, at least from certain angles.

Regards,

L.

Jun 6, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #90 of 94
Quote:

Ok, on more serious note, I do not find the 404 forward as in Grado though, but for some weird reason, I find the tonal quality is similar with my MS2 (but better)...

OOH you have to do a comaprison for me cause I am considering going back to ms-2is...
How does the relative brightness and sibilance (if you hear them) compare between your ms2 and 404s (female vocals like bjork in particular if you have any)? how about the soundstage? I found these 595s to have a far too distant soundstage and am missing the engaging and detailed ms-2i grado headstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back