The STAX finally arrived...
May 28, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #61 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Ok, first thing first.. Now just to clear the spelling of my username. its mocok, no additional "C" before the "K" or else you'll get my username banned here on head-fi.
biggrin.gif
But actually I was thinking whether I can change my username to my surname, not sure if its possible.

Anyway, Australian is 240V, I think it's the same in UK (230V?) The plug is different, but it's an easy fix with adaptor.

Which camera thread were you talking about? You're really interested in pictures aren't you? lol
biggrin.gif

I'll take the amp pictures today or tomorrow the latest.
By the way, if you are interested in pictures, you can see some collections of my pictures taken with the "aussie camera" on Photo.net. Let me know if you wanna see, I'll send the link.

Oops, typo!!! But I bet the sheila's really dig it. It's no good me telling you anything about power leads as you have to hear them for yourself and make your own judgement. For a split second I did think about sending you the Omega 2's or kgss for a laugh but I forgot Australian import tax is a nightmare I hear.

On Uk power leads we have the 3 pins like Europe. On the other end of the power lead is an IEC connector. I have one in my collection that might help with the slight harshness but you would have to try it out for yourself.

Hmm, like I said post amp pics so us lesser mortals can view your setup or you get no goodie bag to try out...
wink.gif

As for my interest in photo's. One of things I want to try and learn is how to take better pictures. I only have a sony dsc-t1. One of those point and clicks. But I would like to explore photography more besides headphones as well.

May 28, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #62 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

Hmm, like I said post amp pics so us lesser mortals can view your setup or you get no goodie bag to try out...
wink.gif

As for my interest in photo's. One of things I want to try and learn is how to take better pictures. I only have a sony dsc-t1. One of those point and clicks. But I would like to explore photography more besides headphones as well.

You don't really need expensive DSLR camera to take nice pictures. Some decent prosumer grade camera is enough to do the job well. The important bit is practice and maybe some slight photoshop skill.

Anyway, as our headfier GoRedwings19 requested, here are more pictures of the rig:
biggrin.gif

This is the picture of the amp (as requested!):
1.jpg

This is the set picture; It's magic listening to the Diana Krall SACD using these... I put the CD there so other headfiers can pretty much approximate the size of the amp/headphone.
4.jpg

Now this is something cool that I didn't know 'til I got them. I didn't know that the "drivers" are 'see through' (1.35 micron thickness), those are actually my fingers you can see through the headphones.
2.jpg

This is the 404 cable:
5.jpg

And finally, this is the "eye candy" shot that I made for 404. I was thinking to do more, but it's time consuming and tiring for me to do this. Not enough talent.
tongue.gif

6.jpg

So THERE YOU GO. Any more picture request ??
biggrin.gif

PS: Do we really have to pay import tax for something we are not buying?

May 28, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #66 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Killer pics. I'm on the verge of taking the Stax plunge...

Any more impressions? After the weekend perhaps?

What do you say we make more of those nice pics and try to make people get the Stax because of the pictures instead of the sound?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I think when it comes to pictures, GoRedWings19 will agree on it.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, about the sound (impressions), I've just had a few more hours just now... going through some of my CDs... probably the one that impressed me the most (out of those few CDs that I listened) was The Corrs Unplugged. Almost felt like I was in the concert.

May 29, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #69 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
I was looking at that CD in a shop today, what type of music is it?

Nice Stax, very nice pics.

It's Jazz... Like Norah Jones but a bit different. More laid back and intimate, I think. To me her voice is better than Norah Jones'.

Here are some of the reviews:
Review 1
Review 2
Review 3

The music is much better to be listened to at night when everyone's asleep and you're in the bed going to sleep. Well, at least thats the best time for me for this CD.

GoredWings19,

Hey, "on-head" shot was not on in the agreement. Only amp shot that was. I'm not going to post my self looking stupid in the internet for the whole world to see...
icon10.gif

May 29, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #70 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
You don't really need expensive DSLR camera to take nice pictures. Some decent prosumer grade camera is enough to do the job well. The important bit is practice and maybe some slight photoshop skill.

Which digicam dost thou own?

More photo hints for everyone: very soft, even lighting; out-of-focus backgrounds that are slightly darker or lighter than the subject; use a tripod; never use on-camera flash. Mocok does it right.

Quote:

I didn't know that the "drivers" are 'see through' (1.35 micron thickness), those are actually my fingers you can see through the headphones.

Yep, electrostats-- you can tell people they're just miniature bugzappers. I'm thinking of putting blue LEDs in mine to add to the effect.

This is actually one of the coolest things about electrostats-- wispy screen-door electrodes driving a clear plastic (or thinly gold-evaporated) diaphragm. Without even touching it. Where are the magnets? the coils? the wire? the gears and levers?
...It's magic.

May 29, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #72 of 94
dj mocok>I am looking forward to your impressions on the 404. I will be interested on how you find them compared to the MS2's. I have the MS2's but don't really care for them. I have a Stax system but haven't got round to listening to it. I have spent time with the sennheiser take on electrostats the he60 and enjoyed that a great deal. I wonder which is the more important aspect of a stax system the headphone or the amp.

A lot of opinions seem to regard the headphones the star of the system rather than the amp.

Okay lemme try and see you funny aussie logic. You spend money on super duper nice camera and from the pics a great setup by all accounts, but your not willing to post pics of "on head shots" which cost nothing? That's like saying you got a female adult movie star as a girlfriend but she won't go on a topless beach to sunbathe as she think she would look stupid for the whole beach to see...
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

You do know funnily enough this is a headphone site...people sometimes post pics of them wearing headphones, apparently...but this might be just a cruel rumour going round....

Pity you aussie blokes are nothing like the aussie women, believe me they are not shy
wink.gif

Pm me your address and I will post something to you.

May 29, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #73 of 94
Quote:

Which digicam dost thou own?

It's Panasonic FZ20.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedWings19
dj mocok>I am looking forward to your impressions on the 404. I will be interested on how you find them compared to the MS2's. I have the MS2's but don't really care for them. I have a Stax system but haven't got round to listening to it. I have spent time with the sennheiser take on electrostats the he60 and enjoyed that a great deal. I wonder which is the more important aspect of a stax system the headphone or the amp.

A lot of opinions seem to regard the headphones the star of the system rather than the amp.

Okay lemme try and see you funny aussie logic. You spend money on super duper nice camera and from the pics a great setup by all accounts, but your not willing to post pics of "on head shots" which cost nothing? That's like saying you got a female adult movie star as a girlfriend but she won't go on a topless beach to sunbathe as she think she would look stupid for the whole beach to see...

You do know funnily enough this is a headphone site...people sometimes post pics of them wearing headphones, apparently...but this might be just a cruel rumour going round....

Pity you aussie blokes are nothing like the aussie women, believe me they are not shy

Pm me your address and I will post something to you.

Now about the latest impressions...

So far, maybe they got around 5-6 hours of play.
On my last session, I got the 313 connected (headphile standard silver) to the CDP, and my headsave classic amp connected to the 313 (using the stock RCAs that came with 313), and turn both of them on at the same time.

Now, this might sound controversial...

What I noticed is, tonal quality is very similar between 404 and MS2, to be honest, the main difference is, the way the music is presented. As you know, MS2 is very forward, but 404 is more spacious.

However, this is 404 at 5-6 hrs total running time. So if burn in does exist, that means if now they both perform almost equally in terms of tonal quality, after 200+ hours, 404 will smoke the MS2. That provided burn-in existed.

But it might be because of other factor as well, who knows... maybe the way I connect the two, or it's not a good idea to run both amp at the same time (might decrease the overall quality??), or maybe my NAD is just not good enough and has already pushed to the limit, I don't know. I hope someone with much more technical knowledge on this matter may offer his explanation...

One weird thing. This might be another controversy. I think 404 produces better bass than those Grado (MS2 in my case). Now you can call me crazy, but to me the 404 offers better bass quality.
"Lack of visceral impact" you might say ?? I tell you what, the bass from 404 is so quick and precise, it creates its own impact in its own "Stax" way.
It's like the 404 is sending the bass directly to your brain without passing your ears. That's how fast and direct I think the bass has the effect on me.

But if you talk about the overall involvement, even though its not burned in, I can pretty much figure out already, some songs are better listened from the good old grados.
I tried some Metallica and other rocks, Although they sound nice from 404, but they didn't move my head. When I put on my MS2, I felt totally connected to the music straight away... great stuff... 404 is somehow a bit too 'polite' for this type of song.

Anyway, that's my latest impression. I actually can't wait to write a review/comparison between the two, but considering how most people say it needs many hours of burn in, I think it might not be fair if I did the review now.

Okay, now back on less serious note, GoRedWings19, I think your analogy is slightly off the mark, because I did take the "supermodel" to the beach by posting the 404 on headfi.

What I didn't do is: 'The lucky person who got that supermodel girlfriend didn't come to the beach with her'. Which I think is good, no?
icon10.gif

And yes, address PM'ed. Thanks !
icon10.gif

May 29, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #74 of 94
Okay, I will throw a wild idea out. Is the amp SS? if it is why don't you keep playing music 24/7 on repeat? If burn in does/does not exist depending on your viewpoint then it can do no harm. IIRC stax headphones need to be charged to sound their best. I don't know how much truth is in that but when I use my he60's I feel they sound "better" after the first hour or so if run from cold. But it could be either down to the headphone or amp. I have not tried the he60 with another amp hence the extra electrostat amps to try.

I wonder how much it would be to send a kgss to Oz? Let's see how you do with a goodie bag then we will talk about the kgss. Wonder how the kgss and 404's would synergise?

my analogy, off??. Do the head shot, meatstick
rs1smile.gif

May 29, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #75 of 94
I can't really do a 24/7 burn in. My partner at home will be annoyed with the sound constantly coming from the headphones.
But I did let the amp on for a few hours before listening, so maybe it's just they don't have enough burn in.

I'll post my impression in this thread from time to time and see if there is any change in progress...

About headshot... You gotta send me the whole Linn Sondek CD12 with all the remaining setup in order to get me to do my headshot mate.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back