The STAX finally arrived...
Jun 7, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #91 of 94
Giga,

I can do comparison but maybe after I finish all my exams (in 2 weeks or something).
About sibilance, I think that depends on your source/cable/CDs too.

I don't recall any persistent sibilance (or at least something that's so bad it makes me realise it) using my MS2. Although I remember sometimes (but rarely) my MS2 sounded a bit harsh though. But I have to yet confirm whether it's just the source or the headphones.

If soundstaging isn't a big deal for you, I don't see any reason why you should leave your MS2. I really find them to be very very enjoyable and involving headphones.

Anyway, I will post more impressions further down the track when I have used them all more often.

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #92 of 94
i left my ms-2is cause they were a bit harsh and sibilant (beginning to think it was largely my source) and was wondering how bright the 404 / 313 combo compares to your ear with your gear
biggrin.gif
though i assume if you don't find the ms2s particularly harsh than the stax are not at all. I found the ms-2i soundstage very engaging but the brightness turned me away, hence my interest. Specially important cause it seems that a fully outfitted pair of ms-2is is just about as expensive as the 404s, and this sr-71 is almsot as much as the 313.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #93 of 94
Giga,

This might not be 100% correct, but I highly suspect that your source is the one that is causing those sibilance/brightness.

My CDP is considered warmish and punchy, so I think it goes well with something like Grado, (especially to tame the highs).
Maybe the fact that I am using MS2, I can't really sense the "warmish" thing (this is not a bad thing), but the punchiness is definitely there.
I don't know, but with nicely recorded CDs, they just sing.

Would I go further and say that NAD 542 + MS2 is a synergy? I can say yes to that, or else I would've changed one or the other along the way...
( I think I have to mention that my Headsave classic is with 627 op-amps)
The fact that I can still keep my setup and enjoying until now, says a lot.
Plus, if it's still considered too bright for some, a warmer cable can further help. Although I am currently using Headphile Standard silver.

I would never link the word "bright" to the 404+313, but "detailed", Yes.
I think hearing cymbals crash is a good measure to distinguish the two.
But of course, if the recording is too bright to begin with, it won't sound right with the system.

Finally, if I were you, I would really look above the source first before jumping into any new setup. If you are happy with the source, then find something to pair it with and make it even better.

If you don't like your source to begin with, I think it's better changing the source than trying to get a system that can "mask" what you don't like in your source...

I know there are hell many more CDPs that can kick my source's butt anytime in terms of detail, soundstage and all that. But they are just very musical, I couldn't care less about anything else.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back