The STAX finally arrived...
May 27, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #46 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Congrats on the setup. A few things:

- Burn in is definitely needed for that "magic" to kick in. Out of the box, they sound, well, flat. Mine had a congested treble without that airiness that Stax are famous for, and the lower treble was definitely pretty intrusive. Now, the treble has opened up nicely, and the lower treble has receeded, though it's still a tad forward. Don't judge the system out of the box - it needs a long time to cook.

Total nonsense. I spoke with Stax last year, and they denied any such thing.

May 27, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #48 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti

I believe that there is a break in period. I had to break in my 404's twice. When I first purchased them and then after having both drivers replaced because of a defect. Both times I have noticed a change after several hours of use. In fact, Yama's, the Stax US distributor/service center who did the repair, told me it requires at least 100 hours of break in before the 404's perform at it's best.

And by the way, I am Ken B and not the KenB posted above. this could become confusing.

May 27, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #49 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Depends on if you post pics...
rs1smile.gif

Okay Okay....

You're really hard to please aren't you ?
icon10.gif

I actually still need to finish up my essay... But since I already "promised" GoRedwings19, I'll just take some very quick snaps ok. No pretty, artistic pictures yet... Maybe later when I have more time.

Now answer the power cable question, damn it !
icon10.gif

STAX1.jpg

stax2.jpg

stax3.jpg

stax4.jpg

I noticed that not so many users here post their pictures.. Let me know if you need a more detailed picture, I'll do it when I'm free.... Damn it... Now Goredwings turned me into some sort of "photo by request" guy....
icon10.gif

May 27, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #50 of 94
Nice headphone stand DJ... now we only need a shot of the Stax on your head and the series is complete!!!

TonyAAA

May 27, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #51 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Nice headphone stand DJ... now we only need a shot of the Stax on your head and the series is complete!!!

TonyAAA

Nope... If you guys want, I can do product shot, close up shot, but no way I'm going to model for the stax... One of the strengths of Stax headphones is they are able to make you look so stupid while wearing them...
icon10.gif

PS: Glad that you liked the headphone stands. Made them by myself. Just wish that I made the Stax stand a bit taller from the base, to give the cables more room.

May 27, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #52 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
OK, read carefully: Stax headphones do not and cannot 'burn in'. The diaphragm is suspended around the edges. After a few months, the very slight 'wrinkles' (small variations in tension) may begin to even out, but that's it!

Man, every time I read one of your strong opinions carefully the inherent logical flaws knock me off my feet.

This time you are clearly contradicting yourself.In the first sentence you claim that such an effect is impossible, in the next sentence you are telling us that during the first few months ( = a few hundred hours playtime) they change from "new out of the box" to "burned-in".

Quote:

is another nice one.
A marketing guy without a clue or even personal experience did tell you total nonsense, and you believed in it.

OK. Mike Scarpitti, read carefully:

Why am I so sure?
1. : I've owned Staxes for years and therefor I was used to the general characteristics of the electrostatic sound.

2. :A friend of mine owns a Classic System II for years now.I've listened often through his rig, all in all for about 80 hours, and more than one time in direct comparison to my old and way inferior Stax Basic System.

3. : Soon after I had discovered head-fi.org I learned that it's quite easy nowadays to get a Stax directly from Japan for a reasonable price, and I ordered a Classic System II.

4. :I did not only listen in direct comparison to my Basic System, I've compared it to my friend's Classic System II ,too.
Naturally we did not only switch between Systems, but between components.
Result:
Both the headphones and the amp need burn-in.
The amp needed less than fifty hours, the headphones needed 200.

All this is based on personal experience and not confirmed by Stax marketing.

May 27, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #53 of 94
I should probably start a new "expecting" STAX thread, but today I am ordering a SR-404/SR-313, 2.5m extension cable, and STAX stand/cover from Koji at EIFL.

For those considering such a purchase, I compared detailed pricing with Merlion (Yama dealer in the US) and there ended up being a 33% net savings by buying from EIFL. The exchange rate is extremely favorable which created slightly more than a $400 savings just on the SR-404/SR-313 combo. I figure that the odds of my STAX system breaking down during the 2nd 12 month period are pretty small. Even if it did happen, the repair cost should not exceed $485 (total price differential); so, for that level of cost, the 2nd year warranty just cannot be justified IMO.

Incidentally, EIFL accepts int'l money orders which cost $3.25 per $700 (max). For me, it will take (2) money orders or $6.50 plus another $5 or so to send Global Priority Mail (4-6 days). That's a cheaper method than PayPal (1.5-3.0%), wire transfer ($20 min.), or credit card (6.0%).

Koji estimated that the shipment should arrive approx. 2 weeks from receipt of payment. I'm guesstimating mid-June.

Ken
lambda.gif

May 27, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #54 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Okay Okay....

You're really hard to please aren't you ?
icon10.gif

I actually still need to finish up my essay... But since I already "promised" GoRedwings19, I'll just take some very quick snaps ok. No pretty, artistic pictures yet... Maybe later when I have more time.

icon10.gif

I noticed that not so many users here post their pictures.. Let me know if you need a more detailed picture, I'll do it when I'm free.... Damn it... Now Goredwings turned me into some sort of "photo by request" guy....
icon10.gif

Seeming you obliged my curiosity then I will answer your question. I don't have a clue to be honest.!!!! Ha Ha

What do I care I got the pics didn't I?

Seriously, though. I once connected a highly regarded "Reference" cable to my cd transport. THe first thing I thought was it made my transport sound dull. So I switched back to the ordainary stock power lead. On other items it did make a slight difference. On some others I couldn't tell the difference. All I am saying is that I don't want to be looking out for the latest and greatest power cables all the time, that would distract me from listening to music. I just quickly pick one which is acceptable for me and then forget about it. It might be stock, it might not. I leave the tweaks and stuff to the hardcore.

But to be honest I don't go out of my way for fancy power leads. Is there any reputable hi fi shop near you that have some which will let you home demo them over a period of time? You can then decide if there any changes if it is suitable for your taste's.

With your fancy aussie camera are you willing to do "on head" shots, and if you can take some shots of some babes in bikini's that would be great as well
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

May 27, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #55 of 94
Quote:

I'm using fancy power cables for all of my components.
They look better.
blink.gif

And they are not too expensive if you are into DIY.

Seriously, you are better off to invest where the real improvements are found.
Most important is the source.
More subtle, but audible and worth it are good analog interconnects.
Some remastered recordings are worth the extra dough.
Given a decent power quality all this power related stuff doesn't make that much of a difference.
I could live without my power conditioner and the cables.
But, as always, YMMV, test the power stuff yourself whenever money burns a hole into your pocket.

May 27, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #57 of 94
Quote:

...One of the strengths of Stax headphones is they are able to make you look so stupid while wearing them...
icon10.gif

That, my good man, is strictly dependent upon who is wearing them...
tongue.gif

May 28, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #58 of 94
Ken B,

Glad that you ordered similar setup as mine. Maybe after you got it for awhile, then we both can do a combined review of the system or something (using our own different source) and see what we come up with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goredwings19
With your fancy aussie camera are you willing to do "on head" shots, and if you can take some shots of some babes in bikini's that would be great as well

Tell you what, you fly some of those hot British chicks to Sydney, then I'll do the Bikini&Stax photo sessions with them. How's that?
icon10.gif

And some one mentioning about Stax amp shots... Seriously, I saw that one coming. See tomorrow if I'm not so tired, I'll do some nice shots... I'm just too lazy to do proper shots. Takes lots of energy.

About power cord, I'm not sure whether I should get it or not, I mean, my CD player is no Mark Levinson, so maybe it might be an overkill... DIY is not an option. I know zip about electricity.

Now what I'm concerning is the cables, do you think Larry's (Headphile) standard silver (I'm using them now) is good enough for the system, or it's better teamed with the better one, eg. Blacksilver or something like that.
I never had good ICs connected to my system, so I have no idea whether such cable upgrade will make a difference in my system...
Unless one of you Headfi members don't mind lending me some of your spare fancy cables that are lying around somewhere...
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #59 of 94
dj_mocock>I think I have got a £19.99 lead to my ML power supply. I preferred that over the expensive stuff. Hey wait a minute you have the same plugs and voltage as the UK, I think. Lemme see what I can rummage up for my commonwealth cousins.

As for taking photo's I read your thread about camera's and saw some of the pics you took. Post the amp pics then I'll Pm you for your address. I will send you a goodie bag of stuff to try out.

May 28, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #60 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
dj_mocock>I think I have got a £19.99 lead to my ML power supply. I preferred that over the expensive stuff. Hey wait a minute you have the same plugs and voltage as the UK, I think. Lemme see what I can rummage up for my commonwealth cousins.

As for taking photo's I read your thread about camera's and saw some of the pics you took. Post the amp pics then I'll Pm you for your address. I will send you a goodie bag of stuff to try out.

Ok, first thing first.. Now just to clear the spelling of my username. its mocok, no additional "C" before the "K" or else you'll get my username banned here on head-fi.
biggrin.gif
But actually I was thinking whether I can change my username to my surname, not sure if its possible.

Anyway, Australian is 240V, I think it's the same in UK (230V?) The plug is different, but it's an easy fix with adaptor.

Which camera thread were you talking about? You're really interested in pictures aren't you? lol
biggrin.gif

I'll take the amp pictures today or tomorrow the latest.
By the way, if you are interested in pictures, you can see some collections of my pictures taken with the "aussie camera" on Photo.net. Let me know if you wanna see, I'll send the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back