The "State of Your Xin" Thread
Dec 13, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #46 of 54
What is amazing is that you can buy that adapter in China for about 4 dollars.

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is amazing is that you can buy that adapter in China for about 4 dollars.

I can believe that. The RS adapters are overpriced. I do have a few low voltage leftover adapters but none have that same plug size/type. I'd have to find one to solder/combine the two.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess worth the wait?

I am always surprised to see how small the mini is! I've ordered the macro, it being small enough itself for my purposes. Of course the micro is impossibly miniature. And according to tests done by other members, the micro is the best sounding!

I find Xin to be unique in our world of audiophile-quality headamps. I feel as though I am privileged to be associated with his quest to design and develop the very best sounding product in as small a form factor as possible. I appreciate that there is a need to be patient, which to me is a small price to pay for the many months of enjoyment that follows delivery.

And of course, the feedback from so many users of his products is what led me here in the first place. Thank you all. (If I am gushing, it's because I just woke up and am not quite awake yet!)

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #49 of 54
My system is iMod iPod -> DIY Silver in Braided Teflon Cable -> Xin SuperMicro IV

My headphones are pretty modest, AKG K27i's & ultimate ears studio.fi 3's, but the sound is terrific. I had planned to upgrade my phones (the source & amp are amazing and deserve the best you can afford) but then I went and ordered a Sig 30 from Vinnie. It sounds so good driving my Bastanis speakers that my interest in headphone listening has all but disappeared for anything but travel (which is what I put that system together for in the first place, and on a plane I think the UE 3's are "good enough" for now).

Gary

Dec 13, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And according to tests done by other members, the micro is the best sounding!

Do remember that those comments were made prior to the fixes and tweaks being made to the SuperMacro IV. I've not seen any recent comparisons between the latest Xin models people have been receiving, especially the opamp rolled ones. I can say for certain that after the fixes and with a OPA627 maxout configuration my SuperMacro IV sounds a lot better than when I originally got it back in August.

Dec 14, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do remember that those comments were made prior to the fixes and tweaks being made to the SuperMacro IV. I've not seen any recent comparisons between the latest Xin models people have been receiving, especially the opamp rolled ones. I can say for certain that after the fixes and with a OPA627 maxout configuration my SuperMacro IV sounds a lot better than when I originally got it back in August.

I have been wondering about this same thing. I believe that the early comparisons were favorable to the Mini over the Macro, but this was when Xin was still tweaking (especially with the Macro). Now those earlier Macro issues seem to be taken care of (and with the introduction of the Macro LE as well) has anyone listened to both the Mini and the newer version of the Macro or the Macro LE? I thought possiblt mrarroyo was getting an LE for instance, has he had the chance to post any impressions b/t the 2?

Anyone else that can shed light on this? Thanks!

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #52 of 54
I just wanted to post my revived excitement with this setup (pic above). After 6 weeks I'd forgotten just how good the Mini sounds with my ER4P. I'm using the impedance,bass boost and crossfeed switches.The Etys are sounding more like full size headphones rather than IEMs...that was my first impression after my first hour with my upgraded Mini. I'm not aware of anything really new and improved other than the crossfeed fix, I haven't paid enough attention to the discussions about the upgrades. I'm thinking that there's more opamp flexability??

With the bass boost the ER4P actually has bass impact. The boost seems to be just right with most music. Very bass heavy music seems to be at times a little too much for the ER4P and possibly causing distortion, this type of music really doesn't need bass boost to begin with imo.

I commented a few times about the problem with the crossfeed with my non-upgraded Mini, it had sounded very much like mono/very little hint of separation. I don't know what Xin did to it but it's fixed. The crossfeed is still just slightly more dramatic compared to the HeadRoom or Meier crossfeeds. I do like the "Xinfeed' and will be using it full time.

I found an old cell phone charger that tests at around 6 volts and has the correct plug size so I plan to try that before blowing $20 on a new one.

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #53 of 54
If anyone gets a SuperMacro LE or SuperMacro "regular" and finds a configuration that sounds excellant with GS-1000's, please post. I am looking for a portable amp that won't "break the bank" that I can use with my GS-1000's to replace my Headroom MicroAmp. (The MicroAmp works ok with the GS-1000's, but I know these phones have more to offer if matched with the right amp).

I'm confident there is a Xin configuration that will do that, but I don't know what it is yet, and will hold off on ordering one until I know.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after a total of 14 weeks of waiting(2 months the first time)...it was worth the wait but I did have other amps and I'm very patient. I knew what to expect going into this deal. I can understand how frustrating it could be to a young person who's saved a while for a Xin amp only to find out they have to wait for several weeks.

Now I want to experiment with rolling opamps but I'm a total newb in this area...not that it doesn't sound great as is (default).

No other amp I have can touch the SuperMini IV for IEM use.

hehehe, this reminds me of when I used to read the ads in the comic books when I was a kid. Anything you ordered via mail always came with the disclaimer: "Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery".

So has anyone done an a/b with a SM3v6 (or any of the SM3's) with a SMIV?

Also, any akg k701 users using them with an SMIV? I'm always looking for some good 701 synergy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back