The "State of Your Xin" Thread
Nov 27, 2006 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
Fellow Xin-folken,

A bit of time has now passed since the drama associated with the introduction of the Xin IV amps (SuperMicro; SuperMini; SuperMacro--see www.fixup.net --). If you want the full, unabridged saga of the Xin IV story, see http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&highlight=xin

I assume we now have a good number of Xin IV amp owners who are now settled in with their marvelous little amps and have come to conclusions about their relative pros, cons, and favorite configurations of opamps and settings for various applications.

As for myself, my SuperMicro IV (firt release--no tweaks) provided much joy since September. It was my amp of choice for all of my headphones/IEM's except the GS-1000's, where I experienced a bit of sibalance. I use the past tense because, alas, the thing has a loose connection somewhere, and it won't stay "on." I also managed to break one of the delicate copper battery contacts awhile back despite my best efforts to avoid doing just that. (I was aware of the flimsy battery contact problem since I also encountered it on the SuperMicro III).

So, I will now be sending my SuperMicro IV in for repairs & tweaks, and will have to "get by" with my SuperMicro III and Headroom Microamp for awhile. Neither of these alternative amps can match the SuperMicro IV in the clarity + soundstage departments to my ears, with my gear.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun if Xin owners who have had their amps for awhile now would post their impressions, including such things as model, synergy with phones, preferred configurations, any disappointments, etc.

I personally am still considering purchasing a SuperMacro IV if anyone knows a configuration that works well with GS-1000's. I am also interested to hear experiences from owners who have purchased the new "LE" version of the SuperMacro.

Thanks in advance for any participation.
cool.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 54
I have an Supermacro IV LE on order (since Sep 15th) so as soon as it gets here I'll let you know what it's like with the Grado GS-1000s (Black Dragon version).

Patience is not one of my virtues, but I do have a perforated eardrum at the moment, so there's no rush...

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 54
I ordered my Supermini IV on June 29 I think, received shipping notice on August 30 and received the amp on Sept.1.

I sent the amp back on Oct. 17 and Xin received it 3 days later. After waiting for over 4 weeks I decided to send Xin an email because I was getting anxious.

I sent the email this past Saturday(Nov. 25) at 6:30 PM and Xin replied within 2 hours!

Amazing. He told me it will ship in 3 days.

I can't wait!!

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 54
I have had my SM IV since early October and it's been back once for something or other! Xin wants it back when things calm down for another something or other.

My internal configuration is a 627 opamp with IxBuf 634 in HiC mode. I use the SM IV with an RWA iModded 4th Generation 60gb iPod photo and an Wyvern AG16 IC and with a variety of headphones: two re-cabled ksc75s (with impedance and bass boost); the AKG 81DJ (no switches enabled); an AKG501 (with bass boost and gain); and a DT880 (with gain...sometimes). I listen mostly to classical and jazz. I do not know how to swap amps so I go with whatever Xin recommends.

I cannot make claims about isolating the SM IV's contribution to overall sound with so many components in the mix, but compared with my Grado RA1, I think the SM IV provides a wider frequency spectrum with greater clarity (especially cymbals and their decay), a wide soundstage and better instrument separation. I think the sound is ultimately fuller and richer. And I say this really liking the RA1 and using it a lot when I'm home.

I am not sure this contributes much to what already has been said in many other places on head-fi and on Xin's website. But I love to travel with the SM IV (and I do so regularly) and am grateful for what a beautiful sound it produces.....along with all the other compmemts in my rig.

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 54
Would you guys say that the supermacro is really worth the extra over the supermini?

Only difference I can really see other than the external bits and bobs and the batteries is that you can have dual 627s over just 8620s etc and more buffers....is it worth it?

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 54
OK--I'll play: Supermacro IV with solidtube op amp running thru an Ipod 5g with either Moon Audio Silver Dragon or ALO Cryo interconnect.

After about 100 hrs. EFFING FABULOUS. This after having several other $300+ amps and all I'm doing is portable-absolutely NO compter-to-Ipod kinda stuff. Portable like Ety 4p/4s and Im 706 IEMs. Bg cans are Beyer 880s but they're just for bedroom listening.

SMIV opened up all kindsa soundstagees I never kneew existed and with the ALO Cryo was a perfect match to the tube-like sound of the op amp from Xin. the Silver Dragon from Drew at Moon Audio sparkles jazz--like Miles and Chick Corea CDs--while the copper from ALO does justice to symponies.

Totally happy with the synargy between SM IV and my connections

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the Supermacro you can roll single and dual chips. In the Supermini you can only roll dual chips on channels 1/2.

But does it make $100+ difference (once you've added all the opamps you want)?

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But does it make $100+ difference (once you've added all the opamps you want)?

And also the metal case and external switches
The jumpers are quite a hassle if you like to change them frequently

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Vorlon1 please post on your Supermicro IV and Supermini IV. BTW, IMO the Supermicro IV is the best portable amp, amazing! Of course I am biased.
biggrin.gif

mrarroyo,
I can't recall the specifics of your personal Xin-journey (they all tend to be a bit complicated). Have you had the opportunity to listen to a fully "tweaked" SuperMacro IV and the SuperMicro IV?

I know the sound of my SuperMicro IV was simply stunning, but the construction quality issues with the SuperMicro are frustrating.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the SuperMacro "LE" version is supposed to best replicate the sound of the SuperMicro--could be wrong. I'm looking forward to reading some reviews of the "LE."

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo,
I can't recall the specifics of your personal Xin-journey (they all tend to be a bit complicated). Have you had the opportunity to listen to a fully "tweaked" SuperMacro IV and the SuperMicro IV?

I know the sound of my SuperMicro IV was simply stunning, but the construction quality issues with the SuperMicro are frustrating.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the SuperMacro "LE" version is supposed to best replicate the sound of the SuperMicro--could be wrong. I'm looking forward to reading some reviews of the "LE."

No I have not listened to fully tweaked Supermacro IV. I had an order for the Supermicro IV which thanks to Voltron1 I have listened to on a couple of ocassions. Simply amazing! When the Supermacro LE came out I changed the order from the Supermicro IV to a Supermacro LE.

I do not see any reasons to be concerned with the quality of the Supermicro unless you are planning to use it as hockey puck.
blink.gif
icon10.gif

Edit 1: I have also listened to the Supermini IV and the Supermacro III Version 6.

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

I do not see any reasons to be concerned with the quality of the Supermicro unless you are planning to use it as hockey puck.
blink.gif
icon10.gif

If you velcro it to you DAP it isn't going anywhere. Should you not want to use velcro on your DAP, you might want to wrap it in a skin first.

Nov 30, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 54
Burning in my Supermacro MAX-OUT OPA627, High-C buffer now 48 hours.

I can say it's all about synergy and the type of music you listen to.

SR-71 with HD650 is such a great combo, very sweet SWEET, involving, huge soundstage, very open and airy, loose, and relaxing, Laid Back, very MUSICAL.

SR-71 with Sensaphonics 2X-S are pretty much the same results as HD650 in term of sweetness except, 2X-S bass becomes less tight and less defined. It's still great when I am in the mood for Jazz, vocal, audiophile emotional music, but when I want the bass to kick in for some hot R&Bs and dance albums, Supermacro IV win hands down. SR-71 is very revealing and detailed, if your songs are not a good quality, you will hear the harshness, sharpness, and sibilance. I hear the sibilance a lot with dance, pop, or R&B music.

Supermacro IV and etymotic I guess are made for each other. I wouldn't even touch SR-71 when I'm using my ER-4S. Supermacro gives the ER-4S rich sound, midrange fullness, deepest bass possible.

Supermacro IV with Sensaphonics will sound more forward and involving compared to SR-71. Much better texture, warmer, and the bass is deep, clean, and strong which is very nice for Pop, R&B, Dance, etc.

I still have my Supermacro LE coming my way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Getting more confused as to which one to keep, because they serve different purpose.

But as summary I guess:
Supermacro IV - more like transistor, with speed, texture and POWER OMPH
SR-71 - more tubey, airy, sweet, and laid back

Is it save to say, Supermacro IV is more similar to Hornet M than SR-71?

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 54
nice. i wish i had an SR-71 to compare with my supermacro 627 maxout. i'm still waiting on xin to send me the AD8397 and AD8620... but so far, i am extremely impressed with the opa627 on L&R and op275 on 3rd/4th channel with my imod ipod, jumbo cryo, and UE-10. the sound is crystal clear yet fun to listen to.

one complaint is that i notice the first switch, which raises the impedance for IEM's, actually makes the sound muddy. the sound is absolutely disgusting with it turned on.

has anybody actually receive or heard the supermacro LE? i wonder what the battery life is like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back