The "State of Your Xin" Thread
Dec 1, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #16 of 54
My SuperMacro IV has been back with Xin for quite a while for all the fixes/upgrades but he tells me it is now ready to ship. I've also now got a nice selection of opamps/buffers including those for the 627 maxout configuration. Needless to say I'm awaiting it's arrival with bated breath.

Dec 1, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #17 of 54
you're gonna love the maxout 627 setup! however, i thought about sending my supermacro back for the LE tweak when xin first posted it and thank god i didn't! i would've been ampless for another 2 months. i'll probably send it back after my order for the tomahawk comes in.

Dec 1, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're gonna love the maxout 627 setup! however, i thought about sending my supermacro back for the LE tweak when xin first posted it and thank god i didn't! i would've been ampless for another 2 months. i'll probably send it back after my order for the tomahawk comes in.

Well for the past few years my experience with Xin Service has been prompt and fast. Amp delivery has always been within one month. I think this time is a really special case, Xin was really struggling with the 4 Channel development.

But now I think his development mode is over. He is into production mode now so the delivery time should be more prompt from now on.

Dec 2, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but why? surely you would then have two amps that were rather more similar than different? more substitutes than complimentary?

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but why? surely you would then have two amps that were rather more similar than different? more substitutes than complimentary?

Well, It's best to own both SM IV and LE version. They seem to have a completely different character. It's more like SR-71 and Hornet.

SM IV is fast, dynamic, lively, nice for dance, R&B, POP, Rock!(Like Hornet?)

LE is more tubey, airy, laid back nice for Jazz, slow dance, classical(Like SR-71?)

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I have not listened to fully tweaked Supermacro IV. I had an order for the Supermicro IV which thanks to Voltron1 I have listened to on a couple of ocassions. Simply amazing! When the Supermacro LE came out I changed the order from the Supermicro IV to a Supermacro LE.

I do not see any reasons to be concerned with the quality of the Supermicro unless you are planning to use it as hockey puck.
blink.gif
icon10.gif

Edit 1: I have also listened to the Supermini IV and the Supermacro III Version 6.

Thanks for the reply.

Although I did crack one SuperMicro case on my SuperMicro III by sitting on it (stupid), I agree that if you are careful the enclosure itself isn't likely to break. My problem has been with the *bleeping* battery contacts. The are so thin and don't put enough pressure on the battery to keep good contact over time, so you have to keep messing with them--then they break. I have had this problem on both the v. III and v. IV. Really annoying.

Xin may have beefed up the contacts on the SuperMicro IV since I received mine; I hope so.

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #23 of 54
Yes, I got a confirmation on mine today. I'd assume I was quite high up the queue though considering my amp was with Dr Xin since early November, hopefully he'll be getting the rest out as soon as he can.

Dec 4, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #24 of 54
I got mine about 2 months ago, it was the "finished" version. I'm not sure whats changed since then (but would like to!) eg, if it's worth sending back again.

I guess I could email Xin one day.

I got a few opamps with it and heard minor differences with DT 880, 990 and ER-4S but never decided what I liked best, need more time. I have the standard ones and OPA134PA, 5532D, OPA2134PA, OPA604AP.

Now Iv'e sold ER-4S and DT 880 and am waiting for the 'phones in my avatar, should be a few more days.

I travelled with the Xin and ER-4S for 5 weeks and really loved it, I use all the switches depending on the music. Sounds far better than straight out the iAudio X5, even at low levels.

By better I mean soundstage, instrument seperation and power. I used the HP out on the X5.

I would like to get other opamps/buffs but not sure what to get and should play with what I have a bit more first.

Dec 4, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to get other opamps/buffs but not sure what to get and should play with what I have a bit more first.

you can go to the Analog Device website and get free samples. I got the AD8937 and AD8620 and send it to Xin to solder into the standard opamp modules to fit into my supermacro. xin charged $5 per opamp, which isn't that bad...

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #26 of 54
I just got the opamps from xin and I just put on the AD8397. Man it is an awesome sounding opamp! It pushes the vocals forward, making the voice sound very intimate. The best $10 I could spend!

Dec 10, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #27 of 54
Burning in my Supermacro MAX-OUT OPA627, High-C buffer now 200 hours.

GOD I have to come back, again!! Sorry I have to re-write the whole impression again since it's a competely different impression. Supermacro IV becomes a totally different beast!!! BIG SOUNDSTAGE!! it's very very close to SR-71 in terms of soundstage but with much better resolution much more involving! The first time I received my supermacro I thought, hmmm, it's a different synergy, with SR-71 being very airy and airy. But WOAH! supermacro IV has completely converted now, very very open and airy! I can't believe it.

So now after 200hrs Supermacro has the soundstage very very close to SR-71 with the resolution and depth beyond SR-71, you feel like moving your head and body, you are part of the music. SR-71 sounds as if you are listening to the music from a distance, less involving. It's like SR-71 is trying to put you in a more relaxing sleepy mood, and Supermacro IV is more like SR-71 on Red Bull Caffeine drink! I think because Supermacro IV has AMAZING TEXTURE TO IT!

I have to really concentrate now to notice the difference in soundstage/air between Supermacro IV and SR-71. I mean it's really that close now.

Supermacro IV has a much better bass extension than SR-71, very tight, solid, deep, and defined. The bass in SR-71 is kinda loose, relaxed and blurry in comparison. Supermacro IV is more on the warm side. SR-71 is more on the sweet side(good for sweet dreams!).

So it's no longer about the synergy, instead it's about the mood. you want to be part of the music? or you are about to go to bed listening to your headphones

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #28 of 54
My SuperMacro IV arrived back from tweaking a few days ago. Xin had installed the OPA275 on 3/4 but also on l/r as well. The treble roll off I had originally seen with the 134/2134 combination was less but all of the warmth was gone and it sounded less lively than before. I opened it up and swapped in some stacked buffers, 2xbuf634 in Hi-C on l/r and 2xHA5002 on 3/4 which improved bass impact but the sound still felt quite lacking overall. Next I tried putting OPA627s on l/r and this was a big improvement, everything tightened up, everything sounded more smooth and liquid, the warmth was back but the treble still sounded a little weak. I tried a few other combinations, solid tube wv in l/r which sounded good but IMHO, not up to the OPA627. I also tried using the AD8610 in the l/r with an AD8620 in 3/4 but there was some serious sibilance and the sound was quite harsh.

For now I've ended up settling on the OPA627 in l/r with the AD8620 in 3/4 and I'm going to let it burn in like this. I do still want to try out some bufferless AD797s on l/r once I pick up some 20pf capacitors for compensation.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #29 of 54
That is strange about the high frequencies as even with my older SM's the extension is fine. I had a IV and sent it back in but the extension was fine.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is strange about the high frequencies as even with my older SM's the extension is fine. I had a IV and sent it back in but the extension was fine.

I think it's especially noticeable to me because the E500s have their own treble rolloff. With my current combination of opamps and buffers in my SM IV though the treble extension seems good. It would need a little more to pull it into "open and airy" territory but based on jlingo's comments a bit of burn in might have an effect here (I'm on the fence as to the effects of burn-in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back