The "State of Your Xin" Thread
Dec 11, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's especially noticeable to me because the E500s have their own treble rolloff. With my current combination of opamps and buffers in my SM IV though the treble extension seems good. It would need a little more to pull it into "open and airy" territory but based on jlingo's comments a bit of burn in might have an effect here (I'm on the fence as to the effects of burn-in).

Please do allow sometime to burn-in. It did open up by quite a lot after 200hrs. I didn't notice that much improvements at 100hrs(Not to my standard anyway). after 100hrs, I left my Amp running for few days since I was away for a business trip. When I got back. WOW! BIG DIFFERENCE!

You can read my previous post when it was still less than 100hours. My comment has changed dramatically.

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do allow sometime to burn-in. It did open up by quite a lot after 200hrs. I didn't notice that much improvements at 100hrs(Not to my standard anyway). after 100hrs, I left my Amp running for few days since I was away for a business trip. When I got back. WOW! BIG DIFFERENCE!

You can read my previous post when it was still less than 100hours. My comment has changed dramatically.

you're talking about burning in the opamps right? i'm currently using the AD 8397 on both 3/4 and l/r channels with dummy buffers and so far it is my favorite setup. the vocal presentation is just out of this world!! i switched to AD8620 on both channels and it sounds kinda boring to me. however, the bass impact is a little stronger, but it was still not as strong as the OPA627 with 2x buffers.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

I'm definitely going to let it burn in for at least 200hrs before doing more fiddling. I do like the sound fine as it is now though, hopefully burn-in will just improve things.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're talking about burning in the opamps right? i'm currently using the AD 8397 on both 3/4 and l/r channels with dummy buffers and so far it is my favorite setup. the vocal presentation is just out of this world!! i switched to AD8620 on both channels and it sounds kinda boring to me. however, the bass impact is a little stronger, but it was still not as strong as the OPA627 with 2x buffers.

I'm not really that concerned as to burn-in opamps. But the whole supermacro system itself, i notice, it is very important to burn-in.

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

I'm not really that concerned as to burn-in opamps. But the whole supermacro system itself, i notice, it is very important to burn-in.

ok. just wanted to make sure. my supermacro iv probably has 300 hours on it already. haven't noticed any significant changes, but man the amp sounds damn good so far!!

Dec 12, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #36 of 54
just got my SMIII back from repairs.. didnt know there was upgrades to it until i looked on his forum. hah! it arrived back with a new volume knob + screws. and i suppose some internal upgrades. i havent had an amp in so long (sent it in october) i dont remember what it sounded like before, but it seems as if i need to do some opamp rolling to see which one is better.

kinda leaning to the opa637 in class a configuration. i have quite the collection of various opamps. maybe a little more than 10 different ones.

ive always just upgraded each time my amp broke. lol but upgrading to the sm4 is too pricey i think. or rather i dont have the money to do the upgrade.

at least now i can see what my beyerdynamics can actually do! and wow.
basshead.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #37 of 54
My Mini has returned!
icon10.gif
yea!

It arrived at my office yesterday but I didn't know. I still haven't listened yet...I'm letting the anticipation simmer for a while.

Can anyone give me a quick FYI about charging batteries internally? I plan to buy the proper voltage but I didn't know how long to charge it or if too long can hurt.I've read the info at Xins site but I was confused a litttle bit. I made a thread about it a few weeks ago but no replies.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #38 of 54
I just got a shipping notice. Soon the IV will land in China, again. This should be exciting.

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #39 of 54
I got a notice from Xin that he shipped my unit today...but I don't know if it's the new Supermicro IV that I ordered or the Supermacro 3V6 that I sent for repair and upgrades...or if I am lucky...both
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMG_0258.jpg

I guess worth the wait?

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #42 of 54
Heh, I wish I could get a hold of either the Supermacro or Supermini IV for a bit to test some op-amp configurations. I'm too broke to afford any of those things :p

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I wish I could get a hold of either the Supermacro or Supermini IV for a bit to test some op-amp configurations. I'm too broke to afford any of those things :p

Yes, the IV is a testing machine for the sound of opamps. So many combinations. There is nothing like this any where else. it is like getting a piece of equipment to test the sound of opamps and buffers. I look forward to receiving the new IV version.

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess worth the wait?

Well, after a total of 14 weeks of waiting(2 months the first time)...it was worth the wait but I did have other amps and I'm very patient. I knew what to expect going into this deal. I can understand how frustrating it could be to a young person who's saved a while for a Xin amp only to find out they have to wait for several weeks.

Now I want to experiment with rolling opamps but I'm a total newb in this area...not that it doesn't sound great as is (default).

No other amp I have can touch the SuperMini IV for IEM use.

Dec 13, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #45 of 54
I emailed Xin about 2 hours ago to ask him which Radio Shack AC>DC power adapter to use to charge my SuperMini. He responded quickly and recommended this one.

...thought this info might help others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back