The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Aug 26, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #2,716 of 3,003
I very recently got the NW-A105 and I love it! I did have a Cowon Plenue D3 and although the battery was much better on the D3 the experience of using the NW-A105 is so much better. Maybe it's just because I'm used to Android/mobile interfaces.

Does anyone know if it's possible to sync music using anything other than Sony's sync software? Android devices usually have MTP mode but I can't get it to activate on this device.

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,717 of 3,003
I very recently got the NW-A105 and I love it! I did have a Cowon Plenue D3 and although the battery was much better on the D3 the experience of using the NW-A105 is so much better. Maybe it's just because I'm used to Android/mobile interfaces.

Does anyone know if it's possible to sync music using anything other than Sony's sync software? Android devices usually have MTP mode but I can't get it to activate on this device.

Yes you can just transfer data normally to sd card when u select file transfer instead of charging when prompted when u connect device, like any other android .

To sync u can use syncthing etc after connecting or put music on any cloud service ( like google drive etc ) and make phone auto sync music when connected to internet.

Various ways to do this basically, like any other android .

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #2,718 of 3,003
Yes you can just transfer data normally to sd card when u select file transfer instead of charging when prompted when u connect device, like any other android .

To sync u can use syncthing etc after connecting or put music on any cloud service ( like google drive etc ) and make phone auto sync music when connected to internet.

Various ways to do this basically, like any other android .
I get that you can transfer files manually but the benefit of using mtp mode is that you're then able to use other media library software to sync specific songs or playlists. Wondering if there's a way to enable mtp mode or if sony disabled it

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #2,721 of 3,003
By the way is there any way to buy the cassette case that comes with nw-a100tps model , separately from somewhere ?

I think the only way is if someone is selling it on eBay. I called encompass and Sony a while back to see if I could buy an extra one. They said it was limited edition and not a part for sale or produced anymore.

Someone please prove me wrong! I’d love to buy another!!! (And you can pm me if you want to sell yours :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #2,722 of 3,003
Clear audio + works really well with my new xba-n3. Both bass and clarity are improved to give enjoyable sound.

Attachments

• 2B3ADD02-6277-4388-B674-05197AE8C7BB.jpeg
    2B3ADD02-6277-4388-B674-05197AE8C7BB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 11, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #2,724 of 3,003
Is anybody having trouble with Gracenote on the PC version of Music Centre. For the past few days I'm getting an error code 6194 stating Gracenote is unavailable. I contacted Sony on line chat but they know nothing. No surprise there really.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,725 of 3,003
Problem is you cant put a batteey bigger than this in such a small device , u can try any compact android dap and its the same issue , its not something sony can change . Also more newer the android more battery it eats but to run streaming apps and longevity its imp to have android and as latest as possible but flipside is battery will be trash . Hence sony has a55 and a105 , you can choose , but you cant have android with great battery life in small device , not possible.
It's super annoying that on Sony's website they even say that the battery should be replaced if it's not holding charge but don't provide instructions on how to do it https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00031455

This video shows how to take apart from a45 Hoping that it's a similar process for this one or that ifixit will do a teardown soon! Would hate to not be able to replace the battery!

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,726 of 3,003
It's super annoying that on Sony's website they even say that the battery should be replaced if it's not holding charge but don't provide instructions on how to do it https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00031455

This video shows how to take apart from a45 Hoping that it's a similar process for this one or that ifixit will do a teardown soon! Would hate to not be able to replace the battery!

I had a battery issue with my old Sony A17. According to Sony the battery should be replaced once battery life per charge drops 50% below the rated value. Under this recommendation my A17 was replaced under warranty by Sony. Sony does not maintain service departments in most countries including Canada so unit replacement is the only option. I had to pay shipping to Sony and shipped my A17 to Sony Canada. Ten days later I had a brand new replacement A17. This is why you should always purchase a Sony DAP in your home country to get the warranty coverage. It is usually cheaper for Sony to send out an new unit than to try and fix one or even replace the battery. Sony may replace batteries out of warranty but you will need to pay shipping both ways and pay for parts and labor. It may in some cases be cheaper to just buy a new unit than to do this out of warranty.

You may be able to open the unit but getting the right replacement battery that fits can be a real challenge. I use to sell Sony products for years and have a friend who worked in audio product repair. He was able to find one for my A17 with right specs but it was to large to fit in the A17. I guess make sure you can first source the right battery for both specs and size before trying to mess with your unit.

Warranty coverage and battery issues are why I never spend more than $300 on a DAP.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #2,727 of 3,003

Agreed , I think for all intents and purposes it Should be same process to A45 , body is pretty much same , but you need to find the right battery as poster above said , thats the hard part. I dont think a105 is popular enough for ifixit to do teardown ( a45/55 was ).

Fwiw I just use mine with ultra portable 5k / 10k maH power banks that I have ( both smaller than device itself ) which are easy to use with it as battery life is an issue with the player but I love it otherwise.

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #2,728 of 3,003
I opened up the A105 and you have to start from the top if I remember correctly - removing a sticky plastic cover that sits there.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,729 of 3,003
Agreed , I think for all intents and purposes it Should be same process to A45 , body is pretty much same , but you need to find the right battery as poster above said , thats the hard part. I dont think a105 is popular enough for ifixit to do teardown ( a45/55 was ).
Any hints on the right battery to use as a replacement? There's only so many battery makers in the world so it can't be impossible, can it?

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #2,730 of 3,003
Any hints on the right battery to use as a replacement? There's only so many battery makers in the world so it can't be impossible, can it?

This is the big issue of course, if Sony is sourcing or making their own batteries then you likely won't be able to get a third party battery that will work. Given that the DAP market survives on us constantly updating our models. If people could just replace the batteries sales would suffer. I know that Sony stopped selling portable products with user replaceable batteries after 2013 for this very reason.

I did have one friend I sold audio gear with who actually got a battery for his ZX100 if I remember the unit correctly. It wouldn't fit in the unit so he got it connected internally and ran wires outside the unit and attached the batter in a pouch to the back of the unit. Kind of an extreme hack but given how expensive the unit was it was worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back