The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,732 of 3,003
This is just another reason why spending anymore than a few hundred euro on a DAP is foolish. A complete piece of expensive technology gets trashed because the battery can't be replaced.

It's replaceable, you just send it to Sony and they'll do it for you - Sony is still replacing batteries for A models released in 2015 for like 30 bucks (battery and service included).

Models released before that you can then find third party batteries. There's no info for replacement batteries for newer models because there's no demand for it as the A100 is just a couple of years old - if the battery is dying now it's either covered by warranty or you can send it in to get it officially fixed for cheap.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #2,733 of 3,003
It's replaceable, you just send it to Sony and they'll do it for you - Sony is still replacing batteries for A models released in 2015 for like 30 bucks (battery and service included).
That's nice of them, better than companies like Apple ha!

Once my battery eventually craps out I'll do a teardown and supply it to iFixit so check back in a year or two 😛

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #2,736 of 3,003
I love tearing things down. Trouble is I can never get them back together again. 😅
Ye that shud be perfect honestly . if battery isnt too hard to replace that wud be perfect .

Issue still would be though to find any half decent third party batteries.

For this reason i was using one of the old sony ericsson xperias as dap before because they were small and had swappable battery. But after a time they were just too lacking in ram to run streaming stuff and too old of android versions.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #2,737 of 3,003

Models released before that you can then find third party batteries. There's no info for replacement batteries for newer models because there's no demand for it as the A100 is just a couple of years old - if the battery is dying now it's either covered by warranty or you can send it in to get it officially fixed for cheap.

That really depends on where you bought it from. If you live in North America for example and you imported it from China then it is not cheap to get a battery replaced. I know people who have paid over $100 US (even more CDN) to ship their DAP's to China for a battery replacement. They had to pay shipping both ways as imported items aren't covered by Sony under warranty plus labor and the cost of the battery. A handling charge is almost always added to the return shipping to make the process even more expensive. Most DAP's are now milled out of single piece of aluminum or some other metal making it much more difficult to take the apart.

Sony also does not maintain repair departments in most countries outside of Asia, I know this as I use to sell Sony products. If I can't buy a DAP in Canada to get a proper warranty then I won't spend more than $300 to import one with the hope the battery will last at least 2 years.

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,739 of 3,003
Oct 4, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,741 of 3,003
Thanks but both female have to be USB for me since that’s what my DAC uses

This one uses the female USB-C for power and female USB-A for the DAC connection. It works just like an Apple USB 3 adapter but with USB-C instead of lightning. Are you saying the DAC uses USB-C only?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #2,743 of 3,003
Another question. Is it possible to set the Walkman to output PCM audio through USB so that I can output into a dac like the Schiit Multibit? I seem to remember a setting for it somewhere but can’t find it now. Doing so should improve sound by bypassing the onboard delta-sigma DAC. Thanks!

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #2,744 of 3,003
Another question. Is it possible to set the Walkman to output PCM audio through USB so that I can output into a dac like the Schiit Multibit? I seem to remember a setting for it somewhere but can’t find it now. Doing so should improve sound by bypassing the onboard delta-sigma DAC. Thanks!

Yes, you can use an external DAC. You may have to switch the USB mode (pull down) once it's attached but it should just work.

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #2,745 of 3,003
Yes, you can use an external DAC. You may have to switch the USB mode (pull down) once it's attached but it should just work.
I have external DACs that it works with such as the FiiO Q3, BT5, and Q5S. But those specifically have the ability to decode file types like DSD, FLAC, etc. The Multibit DAC is not capable of those. It needs PCM. How do we get the Walkman to output PCM? I remember there was a setting somewhere for it no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back