The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Aug 10, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #2,686 of 3,003
didn't know that the main 1A/Z is closed by mods, is tjis thread also include those old classic or only for A100 and newer Walkmans?
This thread is only for the 2019 android walkmans

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,687 of 3,003
Apart from security updates I doubt if there will be any more "enhancement" or feature updates. Sony aren't known for extended support on any of their audio or indeed video gear. I would never invest heavily in Sony equipment for this very reason. Once they have your hard earned cash, they're gone.

Apologies re the double quotation. The joys of working on a mobile phone.

Hmm whilst true I am still hoping also features they need to add should be simple really to make walkman app better , but you are right knowing their history who knows.

I had another question if anyone can help , I had v20 before and I remember other than stock lg app or uapp you cudnt access quad dac without music going first through android mixer and hence bitperfect etc wasnt possible. I mostly use walkman for flac only so never looked this but for streaming apps in walkman is that same issue there , does walkman android mixer ( on chip dap ) just for the walkman app or systemwide ? I am assuming its systemwide , but just wanted to confirm if lets say I decide to put apple music on it or any other service !

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #2,688 of 3,003
Apart from security updates I doubt if there will be any more "enhancement" or feature updates. Sony aren't known for extended support on any of their audio or indeed video gear. I would never invest heavily in Sony equipment for this very reason. Once they have your hard earned cash, they're gone.

Apologies re the double quotation. The joys of working on a mobile phone.
This is largely true but also remember that Sony use to release updated models every year A10/20/30/40/50. But then there was the long delay from the A55 to finally releasing the A100. It does not appear at this point that Sony will release an updated A100 model this year. If Sony is hanging sales on the A100 for the near or long term future they may be more inclined to keep releasing updates to help with future sales. At least you would hope that would be the case. Also there are alot more features you can add to android DAP's than the much more limited and much older Linux based DAPs .

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,689 of 3,003
Want to stream music from the Walkman app, Spotify, Tidal to airplay speakers / receivers. Airmusic app does it, even all speakers at once, but only on android 10+ because of “root”? Any way around this or to install android 10 on the Walkman? Thanks!
Anyone know how to stream UPnP on this walkman at all or to multiple speakers at once?

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,690 of 3,003
Anyone know how to stream UPnP on this walkman at all or to multiple speakers at once?

I use UAPP for both server and renderer. I expect bubbleUPnP works as well, maybe better as it's dedicated to UPnP. I can test if that would help, although I don't have multiple speakers.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #2,691 of 3,003
Got the 105a…Wow, this thing is bad for the money. My over ears sound much better off a iphone & dongle. Max volume is awful too, and probably the main culprit. Maybe its the EU volume cap.

Sigh, possibly the worst audio purchase ive ever made.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #2,692 of 3,003
Got the 105a…Wow, this thing is bad for the money. My over ears sound much better off a iphone & dongle. Max volume is awful too, and probably the main culprit. Maybe its the EU volume cap.

Yes, the A105 is not a powerhouse (35mw+35mw at 16Ω), so it's not going to drive power hungry over-ears. Works fine with most IEMs, however.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,693 of 3,003
Yes, the A105 is not a powerhouse (35mw+35mw at 16Ω), so it's not going to drive power hungry over-ears. Works fine with most IEMs, however.
I mean they're just B&W portable over cans that every phone can drive to way past comfortable hearing. Pretty darn disappointed this can't even do that, so basically the EU volume cap renders it an iem only player

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,694 of 3,003
I mean they're just B&W portable over cans that every phone can drive to way past comfortable hearing. Pretty darn disappointed this can't even do that, so basically the EU volume cap renders it an iem only player
Yes. I had the Japanese version and much louder.

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,695 of 3,003
I have the Japanese version with the vintage Walkman case. Powers my B&W P7 Wireless headphones well (when I have them connected with a wire of course). I just tried it out to see and on those I can’t raise it above 55/120 comfortably with rock, 70/120 with jazz. The only headphones I need to crank it up for are my Sony MDR-7s which have a 55 ohm rating

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2,696 of 3,003
I have the Japanese version with the vintage Walkman case. Powers my B&W P7 Wireless headphones well (when I have them connected with a wire of course). I just tried it out to see and on those I can’t raise it above 55/120 comfortably with rock, 70/120 with jazz. The only headphones I need to crank it up for are my Sony MDR-7s which have a 55 ohm rating

Yeah, my JDM version has plenty of headroom with all of the IEMs I own. I knew when I bought it that is wasn't for my HD6XX at 300Ω.

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #2,697 of 3,003
Blimey. The European version is castrated.

Absolute shame as the form factor and build is fantastic I think.

Aug 14, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #2,699 of 3,003

I have the Japanese version with Sony NW- a106 32GB and the more that I listen in this little device the better it sounds like the good old wines. No regrets here. The Sennheiser Momentum true wireless 1 sound fantastic with the Sony NW- a106 Japan version.

Aug 14, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #2,700 of 3,003
I wud agree uapp is best and also gives you ability to use external dac , but if u want something free musicolet has everything u want in a music player.

On a side note are we going to see any more updates , esp to walkman app as it needs few important updates like playlists, que management and other basic stuff and since using any other player halves tge battery life i am hoping walkman app is updated. Any chance it happens ?
The only reason I don't use the Sony music app is for not being able to create playlist on the dap, I use Poweramp which is really good and very easy to manage playlists and the Onkyo HR app for clear audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back