The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Sep 5, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #332 of 3,003
When the zx300 came out, no wifi and no android people bitch and now with wifi and android people still bitch:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Probably not the same people

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #333 of 3,003
The big problem I have with streaming-service-capable players is the tradeoff between quick-start sleep mode, and its terrible battery life (guess it spends a lot of sleeping energy checking the WiFi connection to Tidal) vs. completely turning the device off and waiting 30 sec and 4 or 5 button pushes to get back on. I can see why Sony and others have been avoiding streaming. An interesting comparison is my FiiO X5ii (non streaming, FiiO operating system, sleeps for days (like me) without losing battery life) vs. my FiiO X5iii (streaming, Android operating system), which will die in its sleep in about a day or requires over 30 sec to boot up from full off position.

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #335 of 3,003
I have to agree, Android on a phone makes sense but I have yet to try a DAP with Android that I truly like. My Fiio M7 with Android and no wifi for streaming is just plain annoying to me. It takes forever to boot and Fiio's joke of a Music Player, they can't figure out how to sort in alphabetical order and it crashes multiple times whenever I scan for new music.

Shanling's Linux based M0 DAP boots fast and is quite responsive, but it's MTouch OS and usability is just plain annoying and way to cumbersome to use.

When I heard that the A100 was coming I thought finally maybe a DAP that has everything I want and need. Maybe it still will but the price might be a deal breaker, will have to wait and see.
I had a Pioneer 300R and it was a great DAP. Except for Android and like 8 hours battery life. I mean Android phones don’t have battery life this bad, why is a DAP so different? My iPhone can play music for like 30 hours. What the hell man.

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #336 of 3,003
For everyone complaining.. why don't you just keep using the zx300 or wm1a? Sounds like exactly what you want. They work fantastic.

I, for one, welcome Android and streaming. This is what I've been wanting on a Sony dap for years! If that a100 sounds as good as the current zx300, I will be happy. Looks like the battery life on it is quite nice.

My issue with the a100 is no 4.4mm. Is Sony trying to force anyone who has 4.4 cables up to the zx500? Almost every other dap in it's price range has 4.4 ports.

Sep 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #338 of 3,003
I have to agree, Android on a phone makes sense but I have yet to try a DAP with Android that I truly like. My Fiio M7 with Android and no wifi for streaming is just plain annoying to me. It takes forever to boot and Fiio's joke of a Music Player, they can't figure out how to sort in alphabetical order and it crashes multiple times whenever I scan for new music.

Shanling's Linux based M0 DAP boots fast and is quite responsive, but it's MTouch OS and usability is just plain annoying and way to cumbersome to use.

When I heard that the A100 was coming I thought finally maybe a DAP that has everything I want and need. Maybe it still will but the price might be a deal breaker, will have to wait and see.

The only reason I use android daps now is so I can install apps for audiobooks and podcasts. Something sony used to do back in the a15 days easily :frowning2:

Sep 5, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #340 of 3,003
My issue with the a100 is no 4.4mm.
I'm honestly liking the a100 form factor better.

Agreed on both fronts. It really doesn't make sense for the A100 to be single ended only, especially at its price point. I was also kind of hoping they would upgrade their UI a bit in their stock player, but oh well.

Sep 5, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #341 of 3,003
I had a Pioneer 300R and it was a great DAP. Except for Android and like 8 hours battery life. I mean Android phones don’t have battery life this bad, why is a DAP so different? My iPhone can play music for like 30 hours. What the hell man.

If I had to guess smartphones have alot more real estate inside and can fit a larger battery. Also Android though based on Linux is very bloated with all the crap they pile on top of the core. What we need is Google to come out with a nice stripped down version of Android better suited for DAP's. This is why Shanling has chosen to go with Linux vs Android. The benefits are speed and a much less resource hungry OS and if you don't need streaming a great option. Their DAP's do support wifi but streaming audio is very limited and not the best performing. Trying to do their own OS in house is proving to be a big challenge. But if they can ever figure it out they could offer some great DAP's.

Sep 5, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #343 of 3,003
Agreed on both fronts. It really doesn't make sense for the A100 to be single ended only, especially at its price point. I was also kind of hoping they would upgrade their UI a bit in their stock player, but oh well.
So.. I'm not very well versed with power specs. Does it have enough to drive IEMs that aren't too power hungry will enough?

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #345 of 3,003
When the zx300 came out, no wifi and no android people bitch and now with wifi and android people still bitch:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Welcome to The Internet. :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back