The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Sep 25, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #691 of 698
Can anybody link me to any simple electronic filter mods or easier mods for MH463.
For now I have the red filter material removed, headband rubber removed and changed the pads to velour(for the worse). I may do the cable removal/jack replacement one some day.
Want to make the bass tight, remove brightness and instrument separation more distinct.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #692 of 698
Can anybody link me to any simple electronic filter mods or easier mods for MH463.
For now I have the red filter material removed, headband rubber removed and changed the pads to velour(for the worse). I may do the cable removal/jack replacement one some day.
Want to make the bass tight, remove brightness and instrument separation more distinct.

Thanks in advance.

I'm working on a new mod that is completely reversible. Probably tomorrow will be done with partial cosmetic improvements.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #693 of 698
This is a very simple mod and a completely reversible one.

Cutting two oval pieces, slightly larger than the black mesh with the logo on the outer side of the cups, of a magnetic sheet.

Since the mesh is made out of metal, the oval pieces can be attached to it magnetically. They have enough force to stay on, and enough flexibility to seal the cups just well enough to turn them into a semi-closed pair.

The mod makes them sound clearer and tighter, especially in the mids.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #694 of 698
This is a very simple mod and a completely reversible one.

Cutting two oval pieces, slightly larger than the black mesh with the logo on the outer side of the cups, of a magnetic sheet.

Since the mesh is made out of metal, the oval pieces can be attached to it magnetically. They have enough force to stay on, and enough flexibility to seal the cups just well enough to turn them into a semi-closed pair.

The mod makes them sound clearer and tighter, especially in the mids.

Does this affect soundstage at all?

May 10, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #695 of 698
Here's the color code for the MH463 stock cable:

Blue = Tip
Red/Green = Ring
Solid Green+Gold = Sleeve

Since the cable is dual entry, it carries 4 leads, thus makes it possible to turn the MH463 into a balanced pair of headphones. All that needs to be done is to take apart one of the cups to find out which of the leads, solid green or gold, is connected to which cup, left or right, to solder them to the correct negative pole on a 4 pole XLR or 2.5 TRRS plugs.

Thanks, you saved my life.
Got a used v2 yesterday and the jack was failing. Both jack and cable are not made of quality materials. Had to change the jack and your scheme came in handy.
Next thing is getting a more reliable cable on these headphones.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #697 of 698
I really like the original pleather pads of my Somic, but they are starting to tear down. Is it possible to buy equal pads from AE? If not, any recommendation towards compatible pads that work good on these headphones? Been using them lately everyday and I got addicted to their sound signature...

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #698 of 698
Bumping this thread just to post this:

IMG_20200430_105638.jpg
Balanced conversion of MH463.

Slightly wider soundstage, better detail but no miracles. At least I don't have that annoying cable anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back