The Sennheiser "veil"
Feb 2, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #271 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrose Sélavy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who the hell reads this far into a pointless thread! I'm going to use this dead space to boost my post count!

I wouldn't say the thread is pointless, the original question seemed quite a reasonable thing to ask for someone who saw the term veil and didn't know what it meant in this context. There has been some good discussion in the thread. Just seems there's a few with an axe to grind one way or the other.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #273 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's time to start arguing about whether the HD-700 will be veiled.

I'm betting on "no". If it's planar as rumored I'm keen to get a pair. If they were an electrostatic in the vein of the HE60 or HE90 I'd be keen too assuming the price isn't insane.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #274 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKGs=detailed and airy, Grados=poppy or snappy, Senns=full bodied.....can't think of Beyers or ATs since I haven't spend much time with them.

I can help you out with that. ATs = swift & spry.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #275 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's time to start arguing about whether the HD-700 will be veiled.

I think they are gona have a switch where you can adjust the sound, Grado Harsh, Beyer Bass, and Senn veil just to make everyone happy
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #277 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they are gona have a switch where you can adjust the sound, Grado Harsh, Beyer Bass, and Senn veil just to make everyone happy
wink.gif

Why not make a headphone that has all the "harshness" of Grado, bass of Beyerdynamics and the veil of the Sennheisers in 1. It would be the ultimate headphone that everyone will love (or not).

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #278 of 372
HD600/580 are indeed veiled and the HD650 is veiled as well....My comparison, you are listening the music in the lobby of the venue, with the door closed...with the HD650 you just open the door, but still at the lobby....

Of course that veil will be noticed only in comparison, but for the ones that have never listen any other forward headphone the Senns are perfect, as they were for me till I heard the CD3K, and later on many other heapdhones...

The veil is almost gone in balanced operation, Senns drivers are slow in comparison to others, they need a good control over them to really shine, than only the balanced topology give them...I have heard them out of the best amps around, and in all of them they sounded veiled, use a humble balanced amp, and the things will change dramatically for these babies....a balanced amp place them at the level they are believed to be for years, in order to deserve all this recognition they do here, in single ended, IMO all of them are average bored headphones...

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #279 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er, the HD650s, for example, have a sensitivity of 103 dB/mW, there is no way they need something like a Dynahi.

Didn't say that. Alot of juice in the non-technical perspective meaning a killer amp.
For example: They sound great out of the Hornet, but they are a whole new headphone with the Dynahi, etc.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #280 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm betting on "no". If it's planar as rumored I'm keen to get a pair. If they were an electrostatic in the vein of the HE60 or HE90 I'd be keen too assuming the price isn't insane.

If it doesn't have the Sennheiser "veil"....which Senn fans see as "body", then I guess I'll be keeping my HD650 as well (has the perfect range for my symphonies now).

For those that say Senn fans don't know what veil is because we haven't listened to forward sounding headphones...many of us have...we know they're not as detailed or airy as others: instead they offer an extended range. This is also why they seem slow to some. If you don't like their presentation, don't get them! There is no such thing as a one sized fits all headphone. Shoudn't this be a good thing? More choice I tell you!
icon10.gif

*note* I think I'm just going to copy and paste the above paragraph as my only response to the Sennheiser veil threads from now on. Including this one when it keeps going to more pages ad nauseam
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #281 of 372
So, this is just a made up term for something that doesn't exist by sennhieser haters. got it. I don't want to have ice picks shoved into my ear like with these other headphones, so i'll be buying the 650s!

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #282 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by edude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, this is just a made up term for something that doesn't exist by sennhieser haters. got it. I don't want to have ice picks shoved into my ear like with these other headphones, so i'll be buying the 650s!

Maybe there is a "veil". So what? I wouldn't consider it a bad thing.
As long as it isn't totally covered in veilness (if there is such a word).
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #283 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpeggio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not make a headphone that has all the "harshness" of Grado, bass of Beyerdynamics and the veil of the Sennheisers in 1.

Veil? What veil?
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #285 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess my hearing is not that good my 580's sound great
i would like to upgrade to 650's later i don't get the veil
thing.

Maybe you don't "hear" the veil because your hearing is good. That makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back