The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 3, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #76 of 2,918
I hope that with Sennheiser's sponsorship of Head-Fi that Jude could be offered one to make available at meets, etc.  This is a halo product and Sennheiser easily has a huge ROI from any investment in Head-Fi.  There will be some in our ranks that will buy this, but I assume the Orpheus is about delivering perfection that will help to see other Sennheiser products and set the course for what can ultimately make it downmarket over time based upon the lessons from building the Orpheus.  With the amount invested in R&D, I don't think $55K is unreasonable given the limited number of buyers it will have, and I am happy that a bit of profit from my many Sennheiser products has gone toward development advances such as this.  I will not be purchasing this product (couldn't if I wanted to), but I am happy it exists.  BTW, as a high schooler pre-ordering the HD 580 Precision (I had a HE 90 satin lined wooden case I kept them in that Sennheiser used to show them off the HD 580 promoting the product back in the 90s), I had a poster of the original Orpheus set pinned to my wall :-D.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #77 of 2,918
LOL, we have lift off into Strato-Fi
biggrin.gif

The chances of getting one are about 1: 175,223,510.
... bought a lottery ticket anyway
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #79 of 2,918
What percent of your net worth would you spend to buy these headphones? It would have to be around 0.05% for me

$110,000,000

Dear Sennheiser,

Please save a pair for me once I hit the $100M+ club 

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #83 of 2,918
Hoping to try it one day. This is not for ordinary people, just like Ferrari where not everyone will be able to drive.
With Hermes bag,  2 channels setup selling at record prices, what's 55k to take home the "best" headphone system ever made.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #84 of 2,918
Orpheus v2 or a loaded BMW 3 series.... hm... I guess I can even get a pretty rockin' nearfield system too. Hype is strong on this one. And really that's all it has to be. Since people can only hear this at audio shows. I can't wait to line up for this at next year's AV show in HK.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #85 of 2,918
  Wow! Would it not be possible to produce a version without the automatic open-n-close features and marble with 99.99% of the sound quality for significantly less?

I don't think the marble and automated knobs and cover are a big part of that price. Those things would amount to less than 1000 dollars. You're paying for engineering, not necessarily something palpable, but an idea of what went into the process of making such a product.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #86 of 2,918
Darn even blood + kidney + bone marrow couldn't pay for it...

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #88 of 2,918
Thinking about getting a set. No joke.

Recovering from cancer, the last thing I should be doing is spending more money (those bills...). But then again, recovering from cancer, I'm thinking "you only live once..."

All the best buddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back