The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 3, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #92 of 2,918
Well, I was thinking about buying a tiny home sometime this year for right around that price point. However, with this release, I'll need to tell my realtor to hold on. I've been waiting for this all my life. Now, I need to figure a few things out - do I get the entire system, and maybe move into it? I'm sure I can do most of my cooking and sleeping in one earcup, keep the car and bicycle in the other. My guests will have to share the amp and tubes with the pets and cleaning supplies. However, where will I put my speaker setup, and will its sound be enhanced even further by the fact that it's a speaker within a headphone, kinda like in Inception. Oh, so much to ponder....

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #95 of 2,918
Maybe they would sell me the foam that goes into the headband for 1k, I can put it into my HD650s and call them upgraded.

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #96 of 2,918
They cost how much?!?

Seriously though, it's always good when a new reference arrives, I just really hope the HE1060's tech trickles down to a more affordable version real soon!
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #97 of 2,918
Kevin Gilmore's assumption on capacitance to drive may be a bit pessimistic ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/779102/did-sennheiser-just-reveal-the-orpheus-successor/975#post_12011474 ) since Sennheiser claims 200% efficiency improvement. 40 pf are not that far from 50 pf, BTW.

That said, very curious to see how Sennheiser manages amplification...ok, one need "only" 30% of the current to drive the phones properly, but hey, 30% of a SRM-T2 (that's at least the class we are talking about) still is a lot of room and heat to dissipate.

Very curious about the "thick" diaphragm too.

Ali

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #98 of 2,918
Thx for a cool report Jude and congrats to Sennheiser for pushing the cutting edge.

On lil thing though, the design reminds me of this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Double-Stove-Hot-Plate-Burner-Portable-Compact-Cooking-Camping-Picnic-/131612687979.
Granma had one with a marmor-like plate which looked even more similar.
Design, beauty are of course very personal things but I'll take the old design without a single blink. That was a beautiful & original tech-art masterpiece, this thing kinda gives me the giggles. Oh well, maybe it looks better in person. And btw the black version looks *much* better IMHO.

Other than that, it's wow after wow, as it should be ... that open/close "ceremony" is simply perfect and technical decisions like amps in the cups sound both innovative and right

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #102 of 2,918
HOW TO RATIONALIZE THE PURCHASE OF THE SENNHEISER HE1060/HEV1060 HEADPHONE SYSTEM

Remember the following 7 logical points: 

1) I am not just buying headphones; I am buying a German engineered, integrated headphone system. - Ya, that sounds much better.

2) $15,000 for the best headphone is not that bad when considering that the best loudspeakers are $150,000 or more. That is only 10% of the price of speakers.  I am not spending $15,000 on headphones; I am saving at least $135,000 - smart me.

3) $15,000 for the headphone amp is a bargain considering two Woo Audio WA-234 mono amps are $30,000 - that is one hell of a bargain - it's half the price!  How could I not jump at this deal?

4) $15,000 for the fabulous integrated DAC is cheap, when you consider that the MSB Select DAC is $89,950 - Bargain City indeed.

5) $3,000 for hiding those horrible, unsightly protruding amplifier knobs when it is not in use.  We all have those moments when we think to ourselves, 'God, I would give anything to not have to look at a protruding headphone amplifier knob.' - Problem solved!

6) $3,000 for watching the tubes lift out of the top. - Let's face it, looking at vacuum tubes that are not actively being used has been scientifically proven to increase systemic body inflammation, raise blood pressure and disturb brain function. - My health is important.

7) $4,000 for the opening box lid. - Every time I turn the unit on for listening, I get to feel like a billionaire who is being served tea on a silver platter by a butler.  This is enormously cheaper than hiring a butler for the same amount of ego gratification and sense of self importance.  Admit it, only heathens and troglodytes have headphone cases that do not have motorized lids. - I certainly am not a heathen or a troglodyte.  

There is your $55,000.  Now that was not hard, was it?  If your wife does not understand this logic, it simply confirms what you have always suspected - she is irrational! 

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #103 of 2,918
  What percent of your net worth would you spend to buy these headphones? It would have to be around 0.05% for me

$110,000,000

Dear Sennheiser,

Please save a pair for me once I hit the $100M+ club 

In 2013 it was reported that there are ~200,000 people in the word with a net worth of more than $30M. I imagine Sennheiser can find 300 of them to buy this. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #104 of 2,918
Amazing automatic transformation of buttons and custom made tubes (°Д°)!!! It looks the dropbox of headphone is fixed onto the one piece of artificial marble.
I'm interested in that whether the natural marble's radiation can effect the circuit's work or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back