The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 6, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #481 of 2,918

Car analogies really don't work, because there are clear measures of performance with cars and not so with headphones. You can't just say "I subjectively prefer the speed of this Camry to this Ferrari and it subjectively goes around the track faster", that is nonsense, but you can easily say the same regarding even the original Orpheus and something like the HD650.

The elephant in the room is, if Sennheiser electrostatics were so damned awesome, why can't they compete with Stax at a fraction of the price with their volume manufacturing advantage? The answer is exactly the reason why these car analogies don't work.

+1

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #482 of 2,918

Hi guys,

The HE 1060 will be available as a separate product as a supplement to the complete system. We cannot guarantee the quality and safety of the system if the HE 1060 is connected to systems from other manufacturers.
The second headphones will be available at the same time as the complete HE 1060 / HEV 1060 system: in the middle of 2016.

In the meantime, here's a BlueStage article on Axel Grell and Gregory Porter discussing their favorite music, excellence and the ultimate sound experience: http://goo.gl/ilPcWe

VERY VERY strange that that guy can appreciate so much details & clarity from the headphone...through his hood !  
eek.gif

Or may be you need to be hooded to make it works....but it is not mentioned in the specs :)

Come on marketing guys... stop !

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #483 of 2,918
Well, its marketing thats for certain.
I mean, you dont put famous people to listen to your HP if you want to have critical and positive criticism but when you are going Beats way.

Most singers have decent ear, but Id be surprised if most of them can tell the difference from two similar dacs with different dac chips.

Also, GUYS, this marketing stuff is not for Head-Fi, its for the people who DONT own accounts in here and are loaded (most likely with their parents money).

So as for us, its the fact that the HP will be sold separably what is the big deal. The fact that some Gosling guy liked them is less important for us that the fact that we know people here who's judgement we can trust (and we will wait for their opinion on the HP. Im looking at your David! :D).

Dont worry about safety of the Orphy 2, Amp makers will figure it out if its worth it (if the HP alone does not cost an insane amount of cash).

I do think however Ill be going Stax 009 rather than this. Even at the same price, if I pay my child's university money for a HP (and im single) Id rather get something that is not "warm, euphoric, etc" but something that is more closer to reality, like the HD800 with slighly equed down highs.

I do however hope Uncle Senn sets the price of the HP alone in the real of affordability (by head-fi standards that is).

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #486 of 2,918
Nov 6, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #488 of 2,918

Think about it like this: If anyone reading this (or I) ever happen to hit the lotto or something, does that automatically make us evil, greedy, snobs, etc? I don't think so. Not all wealthy people are any of those things. Perhaps they are really smart and hard working. Just a thought!

IMO

What makes the sennheiser and people who buy the HE1060 evil, greedy, snobs,etc. is that it drives up the prices for headphones, speakers, turntables, etc. Price it between $15-20k like the old Orpheus and the rest of the totl (minus uber source) setups and I think you will see allot less complaining. As big as Sennheiser is there is no reason they can not do this, especially looking at the dac.

What happened to $40k? Is it seriously $60k? That's absolutely ridiculous. Speakers at $30k as the 009 maxes out at about a $20k source. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #490 of 2,918

VERY VERY strange that that guy can appreciate so much details & clarity from the headphone...through his hood !  
eek.gif

Or may be you need to be hooded to make it works....but it is not mentioned in the specs :)

Come on marketing guys... stop !

Before this hood thing gets blown up, Gregory Porter is a grammy winning jazz musician and wears the hood for medical reasons. He has had surgery done on his face, and thus wears the hood to cover it up (what exactly, I am not sure, but I assume scarring) when appearing in public. One has to assume that he wore the hood for the public video, but did additional private listening without it. I have no way to confirm he did additional listening without it, but it would only make sense that he did.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #491 of 2,918

Why? Where in Marxist doctrine are you prevented from enjoying technological advances?

You aren't! You have no idea how happy I am that you recognize that! I'm disturbed at how motivated I am to obtain these things, though - not because it's wrong, but because it would require leaving the working class as soon as possible, LOL.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #492 of 2,918
Careful reading of Rosmadi's statement on the availability of the HE 1060 as a separate purchase seems to indicate that the HE 1060 WILL NOT be available as a separate purchase, but ONLY as a SUPPLEMENT when you purchase the HE 1060 system.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #493 of 2,918
  Nope. As said several times, final amplification is within the cups. Out of Spritzer and Kevin Gilmore, I don't see anyone opening headphones' gut and modify them in order to get them work on other stats amps.

Ali

I don't think you modify the headphones - you build a better (and cheaper) version of the amp!
I can imagine the Stax Mafia building a better amp, if the headphones became available separately...

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #494 of 2,918
Nope. As said several times, final amplification is within the cups. Out of Spritzer and Kevin Gilmore, I don't see anyone opening headphones' gut and modify them in order to get them work on other stats amps.

Ali

What's there to modify? Just gut the built-in amp, and put a set of connectors on. Just need someone with high craftsmanship skills.

In other note, I wonder if Senn is doing some sort of EQ in the built-in amp?

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #495 of 2,918

Before this hood thing gets blown up, Gregory Porter is a grammy winning jazz musician and wears the hood for medical reasons. He has had surgery done on his face, and thus wears the hood to cover it up (what exactly, I am not sure, but I assume scarring) when appearing in public. One has to assume that he wore the hood for the public video, but did additional private listening without it. I have no way to confirm he did additional listening without it, but it would only make sense that he did.

http://www.hollywood.com/general/gregory-porter-s-trademark-cap-preserves-privacy-59866603/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back