The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Mar 28, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #2,611 of 2,918
Mm...can you settle a lingering and gnawing question? I ‘ve been told that the lifespan of the HE 1 tubes is 15,000 minutes or 250 hours. Another headfier (prospective owner I think) received information from Sennheiser concierge that the correct figure is approximately 2,000 hours. By my reckoning, I will be close to 200 hours of use by June or July of this year. Which is which? Thanks in advance.

Raypin,
Just so you know, we're getting the best estimate, and read your comment when you posted.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 28, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #2,613 of 2,918
Mm...true dat. :darthsmile:

Maybe. But you can get a great sound for 'affordable' amount of cash. A good 10k system would be 009 and BHSE but then you need a very good DAC as well, probably NOS tubes to tame the 009s a bit, so maybe 15K+ at least total. The LCD4s out of the DAVE are damb good, and more my sound signature than my previous 009s. I thought the HE-1 was closer to my LCD4s for body, solidity and realism to real music. I liked the 007s MKs 1s or the later 2015+ 007 Mk2 but felt they lost too much speed and impact, and had a loose bass. My 009s were going towards a stethoscope direction, i.e. detailed headphones not big speakers sound. I felt the HE-1 was right in the middle and seemed to have no issues to me. Yeah, if I had 50K spare, I would buy them, but use my Kassandra DAC with it.

But the Stax 011s?? We shall see.....

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #2,614 of 2,918
Mm...not too confident that the next flagship Stax will be better than the 009s. Their latest estat amp, the T8000, is a flop. At least, based on reviews. I was actually looking forward to the T8000.
KSE1500 is a more impressive product. Estat on the go? Now there’s a sales pitch.

Mm...not really. I am an early adopter of the KSE 1500. I flew to Hong Kong just to get it (first country in Asia where it was first sold some 2 or 3 years ago). It is impressive (spacious, resolving, very clear) but they should fix the bass problem (lacks punch) and it lacks musicality. Don’t like it. I hardly use it now. On a scale, it is a 7 or maybe an 8 out of 10 for me.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,615 of 2,918
Well the T-8000 was more than a flop, it was boring as hell. Stax are an odd company, flashes of genius, but then bring out some naff products. I don't get it. It doesn't do anything for the reputation. Better to bring out less, just get it right. Amps are not one of their strong points IMO. I wonder if there is an underlying reason. i.e. tubes inside the case, less heat, safety and ease of use in a typical environment, that sort of thing.

But there are plenty of Japanese tube amps with tubes on the outside - Kondo for example. They should just go all out and build a top tier amp, have done with it. The high end HP market is bigger now than ever IMO. But what do I know, I am not the CEO of Stax, and they are a secretive company compared to a lot of US audio brands for example. If they did a lot more comms on the web with customers, they would no doubt see the market could sustain a top tier amp, and a 011 as well. I bet customers would be begging for it...

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #2,617 of 2,918
Well the T-8000 was more than a flop, it was boring as hell. Stax are an odd company, flashes of genius, but then bring out some naff products. I don't get it. It doesn't do anything for the reputation. Better to bring out less, just get it right. Amps are not one of their strong points IMO. I wonder if there is an underlying reason. i.e. tubes inside the case, less heat, safety and ease of use in a typical environment, that sort of thing.

But there are plenty of Japanese tube amps with tubes on the outside - Kondo for example. They should just go all out and build a top tier amp, have done with it. The high end HP market is bigger now than ever IMO. But what do I know, I am not the CEO of Stax, and they are a secretive company compared to a lot of US audio brands for example. If they did a lot more comms on the web with customers, they would no doubt see the market could sustain a top tier amp, and a 011 as well. I bet customers would be begging for it...

Realistically speaking, the T2 were their greatest and still. However, the cost of producing such amplifier isn’t cheap. It almost bankrupt Stax right ? I am sure to make HE-1 system, it isn’t cheap either. Given that the system is complete and unique, you can not buy separate pieces. This is why the price is what it is. Sennheiser is a giant that can still afford to do such. The good thing is that Sennheiser beside the extreme HE-1, they don’t adopt the stance “because it sound good”. The next hd820 is still affordable and sane

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #2,618 of 2,918
Have you tried the 009+T2 yet Raypin ? Last I heard from you were that you would want to do some comparison between the 2

Interesting question Whitiger, I would like to know that as well. Bet Raypin has heard the 009s on the BHSE. I haven't heard the T2, and I can imagine it is sweater / smoother than say the BHSE or Carbon but not heard one yet. But my perceptions on the HE-1 is it is quite a different signature to the 009s, it may still be different off the T2? Which would best or right, I have no idea, but my hunch (feeling) would be on the HE-1 aligning with my 'ideal' presentation. Finding an owner who has both, good luck with that! Another thing in this mix is the DAC used for the front end of any high end HP setup. It is important, and will change the sound more than many realise. I read lots of 'hows it sound' posts, but not many considering the source used, just saying.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #2,619 of 2,918
The He-1 is intergrated, the T2 and 009 (stax system) has the ability to swap DAC, and that could be a positive or negative. I use my T2 and 009 with LKS MA004, dual ES9038-Pro, and I am addicted to the treble presentation, definition, extensions, fidelity

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #2,620 of 2,918
Whitigir, Raypan uses the DAVE and Blue transporter I believe. You can use an external DAC, and Jude did that with the TT when the HE-1 first came out. The top tier DACs will take it further I reckon.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,623 of 2,918
Whitigir, Raypan uses the DAVE and Blue transporter I believe. You can use an external DAC, and Jude did that with the TT when the HE-1 first came out. The top tier DACs will take it further I reckon.

I am waiting for a top tier ES9038 Pro DAC. There are only a couple Es9038Pro X2 out there. Dave is pretty top tier for it pricing, I rather stay with my regulated and linear power supply in my LKS MA004 than any switching power supply even if it is Dave. I am the sensible kind of people that use both what I learned and my ears to justify buying things on top of experiences and preferences.

If top tier is considered by the pricing and is all to be “because it sound good”, lampazarator will fit your criteria very very well

Btw, ES9038 Pro is a Benchmark for current newest DAC chips. Nothing out there can get close on paper. Yet, implementation matter, so does a well linear and regulated power supply vs switching

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,624 of 2,918
I am waiting for a top tier ES9038 Pro DAC. There are only a couple Es9038Pro X2 out there. Dave is pretty top tier for it pricing, I rather stay with my regulated and linear power supply in my LKS MA004 than any switching power supply even if it is Dave. I am the sensible kind of people that use both what I learned and my ears to justify buying things on top of experiences and preferences.

If top tier is considered by the pricing and is all to be “because it sound good”, lampazarator will fit your criteria very very well

Btw, ES9038 Pro is a Benchmark for current newest DAC chips. Nothing out there can get close on paper. Yet, implementation matter, so does a well linear and regulated power supply vs switching

If you want a Sabre DAC, and only a Sabre DAC...Ayre, in capital letters.
I have not heard the QX-5 Twenty, but their amps and preamps are nothing short of spectacular (even KG likes them), also I doubt that the late Mr Hansen would design something bad sounding.
PS: you may be satisfied with your LKS MA004, but you also "were satisfied" with the Carbon and the Grounded Grid before building the T2...with your amp, the sound quality jump to something like a Metrum Pavane would be spectacular.
PS2: steer cleer of Benchmark, unless you want an exotic cupholder or torture someone while playing a Kazoo orchestra.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,625 of 2,918
If you want a Sabre DAC, and only a Sabre DAC...Ayre, in capital letters.
I have not heard the QX-5 Twenty, but their amps and preamps are nothing short of spectacular (even KG likes them), also I doubt that the late Mr Hansen would design something bad sounding.
PS: you may be satisfied with your LKS MA004, but you also "were satisfied" with the Carbon and the Grounded Grid before building the T2...with your amp, the sound quality jump to something like a Metrum Pavane would be spectacular.
PS2: steer cleer of Benchmark, unless you want an exotic cupholder or torture someone while playing a Kazoo orchestra.

I am actually waiting for Hifiman and their Jade DAC :wink:. It will sound so good that it blow mind and pocket altogether. I am not a fan of Dave. Switching power supply, single ended output.

I was actually satisfied with Carbon and GG with Stax and Bass performances without sibilances or harshness (it blew that stax has no bass myths, and the myth about 009 is harsh). Everybody would agree :wink:. I progressed further because I heard and realized the potentials of 009. About that BenchMark, T2 consumes 200W....damn! Should also be a Benchmark lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back