The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Jun 30, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #2,270 of 2,918
Like the graphs from Sennheiser for the 800, it's hard to read too much into these due to oversmoothing. That looks like 1/2 Octave smoothing, so any peaks and dips are significantly flattened out (if there are any). IMO, anything smoothed at less than 1/6 octave doesn't convey useful information.

Again, not saying there is an issue with the HE-1, just that the heavily smoothed graphs don't really present data that can be used to draw conclusions.
agreed

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #2,271 of 2,918
Nah, Some very reputable reviewer says neutral and flat is the best :D

Wait, can I share your picture please :D

Well, the matter is that as long as it is not flat, I know who will just dislike it and call it out to be worse than hd800 :wink: regardless of cost. I have seen Z1R in 0 comparison being compared to m50x :D.

Anyways, you know you have the best from Sennheiser engineers, don't let anything get in your ways, they are but some bump and soils on your path to audio nirvana :).

if you want to continue to snipe at tyll hertsen then i suggest you keep posting in the mdr-z1r thread rather than here

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #2,272 of 2,918
Mm..I ll post every now and then but don't expect a polished review. I do not consider myself an expert. Right off the bat, I can tell you that the sound quality difference between the HE 1 and the Stax 009 is not that wide a gulf as the price gap seems to suggest. I'd be lying if I told you otherwise. But, I have taken the price out of the equation since I own both. No pressure to justify. Price is no longer a consideration. It is just gear vs. gear. In one area, in particular the bass, the HE 1 beats the 009. It is just freakisly textured and unlike any other bass I have heard from any headphones. The experience is akin to an iMax theatre. Pretty damn close.

Keep it coming, it's such an opportunity for us to hear HE-1 impressions from someone's own rig rather than 30min in a showroom.

In regards to the 009 missing out in the bass out of 007t2, I am afraid you'll be shocked once you get a BHSE in your system. The carbon is then supposed to be the ultimate for bass control so, here again, this could prove a very interesting experience...

Cheers, arnaud

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #2,273 of 2,918
Keep it coming, it's such an opportunity for us to hear HE-1 impressions from someone's own rig rather than 30min in a showroom.

In regards to the 009 missing out in the bass out of 007t2, I am afraid you'll be shocked once you get a BHSE in your system. The carbon is then supposed to be the ultimate for bass control so, here again, this could prove a very interesting experience...

Cheers, arnaud

I've always felt that the 009 had pretty much the same amount of bass on a proper setup FWIW.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,276 of 2,918
Mm...more impressions: instrument separation is just insanely top-notch. I can easily, very easily, pick out every single instrument or background vocals and follow it. No need for an expert's ears.

Interesting to see an owner of the HE-1 posting here. I would add to balance the opinions on the 009s capabilities, the jump from being driven by the 007T or my last Stax amp, the SRM-717 to my next amp the KGSShv was huge, another headphone completely. Everything got bigger, wider, smoother, deeper, more 3D. Referring to bass in particular, no contest really, the 009 goes deeper and faster on KG amps.

Later when I got the KGSShv Carbon, it scaled up again with even more textured bass and a massive soundstage. Treble extension went up as well without any harshness or edges creeping in and layering shot up again. So I am wondering what the gap would finally be with a well driven 009 v the HE-1? Maybe just flavours? I will get my ears around the HE-1 for a quick demo in 2 weeks at Can-Jam so may get an 'idea' though not ideal conditions or what I would call a full demo TBH.

Congrats on your HE-1, no taking away from it, it has to be the ultimate 'off the shelf' HP system.

Keep the feedback coming Raypin!

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #2,277 of 2,918
Mm...the sound signature of the HE 1 is balanced and aims to be a reference system (by that I mean a headphone system that stays out of the way of your music and just presents it as close as possible to how it was recorded). It is frighteningly close to recreating a live performance, or at least, as close as is technologically possible out of a headphone, given the known limitations of a headphone (vs. speakers vs. a live performance). I'm in the camp that says: live > speakers > headphones. But, the HE 1, given my experience with other headphones (see profile), just pushes the boundary further than any other (headphones).

Does it have its faults? I'm trying hard to find it.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #2,278 of 2,918
How long was the wait from ordering the HE1 to delivery?

Mm..it used to be 18 months. Now (with ramped up production), a little over 2 months. Promised was 90 to 120 days. I guess they were very conservative. Throughout the process, they will update you by email or phone calls. Production starts once you've made the 20% deposit. Balance to be paid prior to shipment (by air) and delivery is by Sennheiser people direct your home or any place you desire.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #2,279 of 2,918
From my point of view, HE-1 sure are warmer than 009, but with this Sennheiser "very-flat-and-accurate-response-to-the-point-of-very-slightly-cold" touch. Senn's e-dyn are for sure more prone to that, but you can hear it with HE-1 (and with HE-60 as well...even if they are way brighter).
HE-90 are more mellow, and 009 (as well as most Stax) are more "sparkling", so to say.

Looking at bass, properly driven 009 are faster and more impactful, but HE-1 have surely more volume, in a symphonic and relaxed kinda way.

Anyway, congrats for you buy Raypin...it's the ultimate madness, but like I've always said, we hobbysts entered the madness territory a long time ago, when we crossed the HD600 price boundary :D

Ali

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #2,280 of 2,918
Balance to be paid prior to shipment (by air) and delivery is by Sennheiser people direct your home or any place you desire.

Nice. do these fun guys come round then? Hell, if I had ordered the HE-1 I would be jumping when it arrived!!!!!

sennheiser-cars.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back