The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2,236 of 2,918
Thank you for explaining. Any of those would work with HE-1 as it is an electrostat?

No, none of these would work with a Sennheiser HE-1, as the HE-1 is a matched set with it's very proprietary driver/amplifier.
Again, do a bit reading first, before throwing out a lot of assumptions and shills about things you have no idea about!

Also, using any of the mentioned energizers with a power amplifier, the sound will very much reflect the sound from the power amplifier.
So even that will be a question of preferences, and the power amplifiers abilities.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,237 of 2,918
No, none of these would work with a Sennheiser HE-1, as the HE-1 is a matched set with it's very proprietary driver/amplifier.
Again, do a bit reading first, before throwing out a lot of assumptions and shills about thing you have no idea about!

Sorry, I am trying to find out those things at the moment! I wanted to get in the Electrostat area for a while now, I hope I don't break anyone's fun by asking those questions!

I think I got all the data I needed, I apologize if I dragged this thread OT too much!

Lets go back too HE-1 as I do my reading on E-Stats!

@raypin , How do you feel about HE-1 after a few days from your purchase?

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #2,238 of 2,918
The downside of owning a HE-1 (if there is one) is you've reached the mountain top and the only direction is down, no more dreams of what could be next. Well, I guess you could still start the journey all over again with something like the $30 Koss PortaPro.:dt880smile:

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,239 of 2,918
The downside of owning a HE-1 (if there is one) is you've reached the mountain top and the only direction is down, no more dreams of what could be next. Well, I guess you could still start the race all over again with something like the $30 Koss PortaPro.:dt880smile:

Lol, or you could start modifying it and then move on with Focal Utopia speakers setup and start racing again :wink:

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #2,240 of 2,918
The downside of owning a HE-1 (if there is one) is you've reached the mountain top and the only direction is down, no more dreams of what could be next. Well, I guess you could still start the journey all over again with something like the $30 Koss PortaPro.:dt880smile:

I'm not sure that it is possible to just "place a coin in" and start the journey again when it comes to audio though

Lol, or you could start modifying it and then move on with Focal Utopia speakers setup and start racing again :wink:

There is no end to High-End speakers though - at least you can always have that.

After He-1, it is time to invest in a home, invest in acoustic treatments, invest in speakers.

Then, invest in inviting the bands to sing for you :o2smile:

On a serious note though, after HE-1, most will probably have reached the top, there is simply no more upgrade needed, you keep just listening to music for fun and for enjoyment, only relaxation and happiness, no?

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,241 of 2,918
Mm..feeling? KEEP CALM AND SMILE.

1. Rediscovering my music (particularly the music of my youth); tracks long familiar sounds
new again.

2. Deeply relaxing (can't help but snooze during the listening sessions).

3. I stopped worrying about the equipment. There's no -
Utopia needs bigger soundstage. HD 800 needs more bass, tame the peak, sibilance galore.
Z1R is too bass heavy. None of that SHOT (pardon the french). It just delivers.

4. Deep satisfaction.

5. It is Maslow's self-actualization (hierarchy of needs) achieved. Lol! I jest. No, I'm not.

6. If you are a serious headfier just starting your collection and aiming to have the very best (or one of), seriously save up your funds and avoid the the baby steps (steps that I undertook) by buying this and buying that. Just buy the HE 1. It will be the best and most rewarding shortcut of your journey. I wish I had known that 4 years ago. If you have a very good friend or a brother who has the same level of passion about headphones as you, split the cost to make the purchase easier to make.

Then move on to speakers.....I am in deep shot!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #2,243 of 2,918
Mm...last night, I spent 2 hours listening to a few Carpenters albums and some old sentimental favorites from the 70s (Aubrey etc.), FLACs:

Setup 1: Cocktail Audio X40 music server - coaxial digital cable - HE 1
Setup 2: Cocktail Audio X40 music server - AES/EBU cable - Chord DAVE (DAC mode activated) - balanced XLR - HE 1

Switching between the 2 setups was rapid via HE 1 remote control.

Aside from the louder output of balanced setup (which is to be expected), the audible differences in SQ were not that big. Setup 2 brought the midrange slightly forward and it is like sitting in the 2 row vs. 6th row seat. Also, the Dave made the HE1 slightly clearer, brighter and more resolving (a smidge).Also, Karen's voice was noticeably airier. Setup 1 was flatter, neutral but not boring.

My initial impression stands: DAC vs. DAC is too close to call.

I ll scour my music collection for bass tracks tonight. Will listen after watching the new Transformers.

P.S. I was a bit tired prior to listening. Had fun watching Wonder Woman (8.5/10). The headphones does get warm. It is like holding a candle a few inches from your ears. But with some adjustments in room temperature (yup, you need A/C), it becomes a non-issue.

P.S. 2. Had a brief power interruption last night. The unit remained open. Upon power up again, the unit automatically activates the shut down phase (lids close, tubes retracts and knobs retracts). My headphone was not packed so the cable was caught while the lid was closing. The lid stopped closing (a safety feature I guess) but the tubes and knobs retracted. So, lesson is to pack the headphones and cable upon power interuption.

Thanks for reporting that the difference between the integrated DAC and the DAVE is almost none. I didn’t expect the integrated DAC to compete to be honest, but glad to hear it does.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #2,244 of 2,918
Mm..snakes! snakes, everywhere! Lol! Very sloppy cable management. Snake oil? Booo! Lol!

IMG_1592.JPG

Btt, Tbh, I can live with either set-up. Next project: integrate the M Scaler of the Chord Blu II in my audio chain. I've been reading the Chord Blu 2 thread with great interest. If what I've read is true and accurate (from those who have it), the leap in SQ will be considerable.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,246 of 2,918
Mm..feeling? KEEP CALM AND SMILE.
6. If you are a serious headfier just starting your collection and aiming to have the very best (or one of), seriously save up your funds and avoid the the baby steps (steps that I undertook) by buying this and buying that. Just buy the HE 1. It will be the best and most rewarding shortcut of your journey. I wish I had known that 4 years ago.
!

Except that the HE-1 didn't exist 4 years ago, LOL! As Oscar Wilde once said, "I'm a man of simple tastes. I'm always satisfied with the best."

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,247 of 2,918
Mm..foreknowledge or even a hint that something like an Orpheus successor was under development would have sufficed. Would have saved me lots......time, aggravation and money. Of course, it is foolish fantasy on my part.

Just a note for those contemplating purchase. The Sennheiser guy who "hand-delivered" the unit told me that the current Orpheus design will last at least 20 years.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,249 of 2,918
Mm..foreknowledge or even a hint that something like an Orpheus successor was under development would have sufficed. Would have saved me lots......time, aggravation and money. Of course, it is foolish fantasy on my part.

Just a note for those contemplating purchase. The Sennheiser guy who "hand-delivered" the unit told me that the current Orpheus design will last at least 20 years.

20 years is a long time, and that is a good thing

Well, at least you now know that there is nothing else to buy for a full over the ear headphone for 20 years :sunglasses:

This is gonna be a long time with a lot of fun for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back