The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,251 of 2,918
Mm...sorry to say that this is my first and last Orpheus. I don't think my hearing will last that long. This thing will outlast my lifetime (health problems). I'm very sure of that.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #2,252 of 2,918
Mm...sorry to say that this is my first and last Orpheus. I don't think my hearing will last that long. This thing will outlast my lifetime (health problems). I'm very sure of that.

You should be more positive about life - always remember that health is strongly connected with the mental state and trust someone has in themselves / life itself. Don't let yourself feel down and most ailments should get better!

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #2,253 of 2,918
Interesting to see from the manual http://en-at.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/7510/HE1_Manual_0217_EN.pdf that the amplifier has a cross-feed function and bass boost which is limited solely to bass frequencies and seems to be intended to reduce bass localization to make it more realisticc.

The reason for this is that headphone presentation of deep bass can be far more localized (i.e. left to right) than what you would hear live. While this azimuthal localization of sound in the real world depends on both time and amplitude differences between the two ears, low frequencies do not give an amplitude difference at the two ears. This is because the head does not create a shadow of sounds off-center, below 1.3 kHz (seems a bit high to me) https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/head-shadow/ Thus bass levels in the real world tend to be more or less equal in the two ears. However, as Senn notes, many recordings have bass off to one side and because we are dealing with headphones, you can make an artificial highly localized directional bass which you would not hear that well localized if, say, you had been in the studio, where the track was recorded.

I assume the bass boost is added because when you mix the bass on one channel with no bass on the other this lowers the actual bass level and/or the perception of its loudness.

I am not a fan of cross-feed in general, but this application is very limited and addresses a real anomaly of headphone listening at least when recording engineers do not anticipate the problem. They could take care of it at the mixing stage but many seem to prefer the artificially enhanced bass localization that comes with headphones. The HE1 allows you to do your own mix.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #2,254 of 2,918
mm...my HE 1 measurement:

test.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #2,260 of 2,918
Nah, Some very reputable reviewer says neutral and flat is the best :D

Wait, can I share your picture please :D

Eh, everyone has their personal preferences!

I like V-shaped in general - love ie800, Signature Studio, DK-3001, literally love those things that have good bass and treble! The treble of HE-1 was a lot like I like it, energetic and alive!

I hope that @raypin is enjoying his HE-1 well in there! I just found Signature Studio and I really like its sound at the moment, so I'm having a good time! I just hope everyone else has a great time with their equipment!

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #2,262 of 2,918
looks pretty flat to me

Like the graphs from Sennheiser for the 800, it's hard to read too much into these due to oversmoothing. That looks like 1/2 Octave smoothing, so any peaks and dips are significantly flattened out (if there are any). IMO, anything smoothed at less than 1/6 octave doesn't convey useful information.

Again, not saying there is an issue with the HE-1, just that the heavily smoothed graphs don't really present data that can be used to draw conclusions.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,263 of 2,918
Like the graphs from Sennheiser for the 800, it's hard to read too much into these due to oversmoothing. That looks like 1/2 Octave smoothing, so any peaks and dips are significantly flattened out (if there are any). IMO, anything smoothed at less than 1/6 octave doesn't convey useful information.

Again, not saying there is an issue with the HE-1, just that the heavily smoothed graphs don't really present data that can be used to draw conclusions.
Well, the matter is that as long as it is not flat, I know who will just dislike it and call it out to be worse than hd800 :wink: regardless of cost. I have seen Z1R in 0 comparison being compared to m50x :D.

Anyways, you know you have the best from Sennheiser engineers, don't let anything get in your ways, they are but some bump and soils on your path to audio nirvana :).

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,264 of 2,918
Well, the matter is that as long as it is not flat, I know who will just dislike it and call it out to be worse than hd800 :wink: regardless of cost. I have seen Z1R in 0 comparison being compared to m50x :D.

Anyways, you know you have the best from Sennheiser engineers, don't let anything get in your ways, they are but some bump and soils on your path to audio nirvana :).
Send it to Tyll and Jude to measure independently LOL

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2,265 of 2,918

Or Sennheiser could publish the graphs using appropriate smoothing....

Again, I'm sure it's a fantastic headphone and certainly not accusing Sennheiser of doing anything intentionally misleading, but I do wonder what the FR really looks like. I'm sure some additional measurements will show up eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back