The Sennheiser HD518, it just needs to gain some weight
Apr 3, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 24
Do the 518 and 558 fit exactly the same as the 598? I love the 598 except the bass is very minimal.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #19 of 24
Thanks. I'm hearing the 558 can easily sound as good as the 598 with some internal padding.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 24
I searched and didn't find a thread about modding the HD518, which is strange because it's a good candidate for it because they're: inexpensive, easily disassembled, and damned well just about everywhere. :D

Anyway, I was bored the other night, which is bad when I have my headphones near and modding materials next to my desk. So, I looked over my cans and thought it over, and decided on the HD518s. I bought these for my wife but instead of using them she stole my 598s, so they've pretty much been sitting here. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with them, their bass was too boomy and flabby, the mids were muffled, and IMO they had some funky resonance issues. People may talk about what a value they are, but to me they really weren't much to write home about. I would have sent them back but I procrastinated until the 30 day return window expired.

So I took them apart and poked around looking to see what could be done and I noticed that there's some empty space in there, and I thought, "I wonder what some mass loading would do?". So I got out the Plasticine (modeling clay) and set to work. For a couple hours I played around with varying amounts until I struck pay dirt. Add it just around the outer rim inside the cup, they're very sensitive to the amount used, don't over do it. And be careful not to get it on the back mesh, it's a devil to get out. Here:

The bass tightened up dramatically, the muffled mids were better, and the resonance issue disappeared. Wow, were these the same headphones? I was impressed. So I called a friend who is a Sennheiser/Beyer nut and told him and he asked me to stop by. So, I got there we hooked them up and he was quite surprised and claimed they sound more like the HD650 now, we got his and compared and he was right. They didn't have the breadth of soundstage but the tone was similar, as was the attack and detail. It's a nice upgrade and worth the clay and time, IMO.

Any other ideas?

x2.... although my understanding is the 515 does not use the same driver as the others.  Let others confirm this though.
518s use the same driver as the 558 and 598 but the pads and plastic back enhance the bass and make them feel more closed. I've missed my 518s to be more open and they sound indistinguishable from 598s.

However, I noticed the resonance in the lower end and plan to use this plasticine mod to get rid of that. I'm just wondering what kind of plasticine the OP used as most I've read about smells and I don't want to use play doh as that gets dry and messy.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 24
Instead of using Plasticine (modeling clay) I am going to try this stuff:

"Blu-Tack Reusable Adhesive" 

- Bostik Blu-Tack is the is the original reusable adhesive. It is permanently plastic and pliable (it can be readily formed into any shape 

- Use to reduce noise vibration. Hold speakers in place 

Blu-Tack can be used as a damping agent for sound and vibration applications, due to its low amplitude response properties

I would like to know if anyone else thought of using this stuff too... 

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #22 of 24
Instead of using Plasticine (modeling clay) I am going to try this stuff:

"Blu-Tack Reusable Adhesive" 

- Bostik Blu-Tack is the is the original reusable adhesive. It is permanently plastic and pliable (it can be readily formed into any shape 

- Use to reduce noise vibration. Hold speakers in place 

Blu-Tack can be used as a damping agent for sound and vibration applications, due to its low amplitude response properties

I would like to know if anyone else thought of using this stuff too... 

Did you try the blue tack, and if so how did it go as considering doing this myself?

Edit:

Just tried it along with removing the grills and recovering with material from some unused speaker grills.

They sound more open now and the resonance in the bass appears to have lowered. It's difficult to say how much the sound has changed though without an un-modded pair to compare them with.

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 24
Did you try the blue tack, and if so how did it go as considering doing this myself?

Edit:

Just tried it along with removing the grills and recovering with material from some unused speaker grills.

They sound more open now and the resonance in the bass appears to have lowered. It's difficult to say how much the sound has changed though without an un-modded pair to compare them with.

I just did this and it sounds way tighter on snare and bass drum sounds especificlly not much of an audiophile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back