The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Apr 19, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #466 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmic_impulse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just hoping someone can tell the difference if there is between the two versions.

Maybe if I had a stock HD600 cable to try with my current pair, it would go back to the more treble-forward sound I experienced on my old pair; the only upgraded cable I tried on them was an HD650 stock cable for a bit, there was some improvement as I remember but not to the point where they sounded like different headphones...
redface.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #467 of 672
I've read extensively that because of the design of the hd650 cables to bring it more neutral sounding it must be changed. To what? I don't know/remember. My cardas comes soon so i'll offer some input (to already abundant opinions on HF).

One thing I can tell ya is HD600 although very tame, sometimes they sound quite harsh on the stock cable. So much that I can't take it.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #468 of 672
Fresh owner here. Best headphone for intimate music, period. Acoustic, live blues sounds the best, though HD600 is really a great all-rounder. I really love this headphone.

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #469 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fresh owner here. Best headphone for intimate music, period. Acoustic, live blues sounds the best, though HD600 is really a great all-rounder. I really love this headphone.

I listened to a lot of music with the HD600's yesterday. They are truly, truly, excellent. Really, really well balanced. The best I've heard on technical grounds. Whatever I throw at them, they play with a calm precision and balance that's very enjoyable for me and brings forth a warm smile. It's a better all-rounder than its older brother, the HD650's. There's a lot of clarity and detail to be heard through the HD600's. They make intimate music very intimate.
smily_headphones1.gif
The bass response does not abound, but it's there. Just about perfect, IMO. There's nothing recessed or laid back about what I'm hearing coming from these.

The only weakness I'd say they have is a relative lack of soundstage. IOW's, if you're a soundstage lover, you'll likely not take to these. Additionally, I don't think you'll get a head-banging experience out of them. There are coloured cans out there that will do that. My Ed8's can be a real headbanger at times.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #472 of 672
Donunus,
I can't say for sure what my favorite all-rounder is right now, since I just pulled my Bada PH-12 out of mothballs yesterday after retrieving a pair of DT880/600 ohm from the UPS delivery man.

However, I must confess that the last time I a/b-ed the HD600 against the D2000, I kept the D2000 [DUCK]. : )

The HD600 were my first set of "real" headphones, and they frequently muster fond musical memories. With the Cardas cable and Meier amping, the HD600 sound very memorable indeed.

PAB

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #473 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to a lot of music with the HD600's yesterday. They are truly, truly, excellent. Really, really well balanced. The best I've heard on technical grounds. Whatever I throw at them, they play with a calm precision and balance that's very enjoyable for me and brings forth a warm smile. It's a better all-rounder than its older brother, the HD650's. There's a lot of clarity and detail to be heard through the HD600's. They make intimate music very intimate.
smily_headphones1.gif
The bass response does not abound, but it's there. Just about perfect, IMO. There's nothing recessed or laid back about what I'm hearing coming from these.

The only weakness I'd say they have is a relative lack of soundstage. IOW's, if you're a soundstage lover, you'll likely not take to these. Additionally, I don't think you'll get a head-banging experience out of them. There are coloured cans out there that will do that. My Ed8's can be a real headbanger at times.
evil_smiley.gif

Hate to push you into a corner but do you "prefer" the 600 over the 650 now?

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #474 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hate to push you into a corner but do you "prefer" the 600 over the 650 now?

I can't conclusively say this... so no.
wink.gif

I once thought that soundstage and ambience weren't particularly important to me, but with the experience I now have with the HD600's, I now realize their importance. The HD650's are better with sound stage and ambience. Not much better, but better.
smily_headphones1.gif
I like them both, but the HD600's, are admittedly, the better all rounder and I definitely prefer them in terms of tonal balance and how well they represent just about anything I throw at them.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #476 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, interesting. Also, did I read that you had upgraded the cables for your Senns? If so what's your opinion of them vs. the originals. Thanks.

With the HD650's, I recabled them from very early. I don't know if you'll want to blame the changes on burn-in or the recabling or my mind. However, changed they have IMO. They were significantly darker than my Ed8's when I first got them, in that I would switch from listening to them to listening to my Ed8's and thought I had moved to an obviously brighter presentation. With the Blue Dragon and/or perhaps burn-in, this is no longer the case.

I got my HD600's with the Cardas cable. No head time with the stock.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #477 of 672
Quote:

I got my HD600's with the Cardas cable. No head time with the stock.

What is a good source for recabling the HD600?
Not sure I can (or think I should) do it myself
redface.gif
... is there a source for having it done?

shane

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #478 of 672
Since the cables are are plugged into the drivers, I just bought mine. Or are you thinking of making your own cable?

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #479 of 672
Quote:

Since the cables are are plugged into the drivers, I just bought mine. Or are you thinking of making your own cable?

I'm not thinking of making my own ANYTHING.
bigsmile_face.gif

Two things.
1) since the cables are said to have issues
2) since the sound quality has been reported to greatly improve...

I figured I'd consider re-cabling sooner than later. But I can not do this work.
Is it something I need to do myself? If it is, I'll just lave to live with them the way they are and hope that I never have any problems.
redface.gif

shane

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #480 of 672
The SAA Equinox cable works extremely well in this headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back