The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 24, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,591 of 1,909

I think there is more to building a good amp then just wattage. Otherwise all amps should sound exactly the same with the same power and that's not the case. The Lyr is just a allround better (build) amp, that's what is making the difference. Not even in the same league.

Perhaps you prefer the higher distortion levels of the Lyr. In any case either one is below the human threshold of perception. Yes the Lyr is physically built better, however, the Magni is built more than well enough. I am not affected by the price differences of what amps I listen to. Any SQ differences are going to be very very small so I can't go along with, "Not even in the same league" as I think that would at best be exaggerative. IMO, if one want's a big difference in sound, try another pair of headphones.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,592 of 1,909
  Perhaps you prefer the higher distortion levels of the Lyr. In any case either one is below the human threshold of perception. Yes the Lyr is physically built better, however, the Magni is built more than well enough. I am not affected by the price differences of what amps I listen to. Any SQ differences are going to be very very small so I can't go along with, "Not even in the same league" as I think that would at best be exaggerative. IMO, if one want's a big difference in sound, try another pair of headphones.

OK.

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,594 of 1,909
Does anyone use the Modi 2 Uber with the Wyrd? I need a powered USB hub to use with my iPhone / iPad anyway and I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra for the Wyrd to use with my PC as well. In Australia though it's about $150 extra for the Wyrd over a standard powered hub so it's a fair amount of money. I haven't had any obvious USB issues with my PC - I've gotten occasional dropouts with YouTube etc but that may be the fault of drivers more than hardware...

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,595 of 1,909
Does anyone use the Modi 2 Uber with the Wyrd? I need a powered USB hub to use with my iPhone / iPad anyway and I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra for the Wyrd to use with my PC as well. In Australia though it's about $150 extra for the Wyrd over a standard powered hub so it's a fair amount of money. I haven't had any obvious USB issues with my PC - I've gotten occasional dropouts with YouTube etc but that may be the fault of drivers more than hardware...

My suggestion is to get an affordable hub for those devices, then see if the Modi 2 Uber works fine on your computer. If there are serious problems, you may need the Wyrd, but otherwise, it's better to save your money.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,596 of 1,909
Could I be throwing my 2 cents in ?

I will try and share the experience I had one evening at a friend's place which is not entirely related to the Schiit topic but rather made me realize some things about gear in general.
When I tested the LCD2 and compared them to my K550 ( I know, right ? :D ) - I made a few fast tests. First off let me start by saying that I KNOW fast tests mean **** ( not Schiit :) ) so it would take someone days, if not weeks to actually hear the differences between 2 pieces of gear, be it amps, dacs and ( a bit skeptical on these ) - cables. So let me run down what gear we had laying around and what my conclusions were. So there was my Fiio E10 ( non K but the golden connectors edition ), a Fiio X5, a Fiio E12 amp and also my Sony Vaio laptop - wired to a hi-end DAC/Amp ExaSound E20 http://www.exasound.com/e20/Overview.aspx with a AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable - along with my K550s and the Audeze LCD2 ( v2.1 ). So dac/amps solutions ranging from a wh00ping $80 for the E10 to $2.500 for the E20 ( funny model name in my gear list for that evening :p ). Along side were 2 friends, one of them was the owned of the LCD + X5 + E12 and the other the owner of the ExaSound E20 which was actually a part of a hi-end speaker system that topped the $15.000 mark considering msrp prices on everything, including pretty expensive cables, racks - I know I know, one of THOSE guys :)) Only FLACs were used in the listening session.

Now - first off I tried the LCD2s on the E20 and was a bit disappointed - I probably expected so drop on my knees ( I was actually sitting down so that may have been the reason why I didn't haha ). Coming from a pair of pretty bright and "forward" headphones like the K550 the LCDs sounded pretty dark and muffed to me at start. I felt they don't have any details in the upped end ... minutes went by - gone through 3-4 tracks I knew pretty good and I started to hear the details I thought they don't exist - still I wasn't blown away by the sound as I expected, highest level HPs I tried until then were the K550 and the K701 so jumping to a LCD "should" have been mindblowing. Then I tried the LCDs on the X5 + E12 combo ... and thought they sound pretty similar to what I just heard on the E20 - which also surprised me as I was expecting some obvious differences. After a few more minutes of listening I decided to check out my K550 to see how they sound after the 15-20 mins with the LCDs. Again I must state that I didn't find the LCDs to be as mindblowing as I expected. Putting the K550s on - hit play and I started laughing like an idiot in the first 5 seconds of the first song played. The other 2 guys were looking at me like What ? I couldn't believe my ears ... I honestly felt like I was on one of those idiotic hidden cameras shows and someone exchanged my beloved K550s with some crap 15$ phones you would buy from the grocery store. I was like : did any of you just fwcked up my headphones while I wasn't paying attention ?? The sound was sooo forward, so bright and crisp but in a fatiguing way, it was just MINDBLOWING :)) Listening to some Katie Melua tracks ( which I knew very well ) and comparing the K550s directly to the LCD2s - I felt like she was screaming right next to my ear on the K550s while on the LCDs she felt like singing laying down on a furry and relaxing bed. Everything was so laid back, so relaxing, if you take account the quality of the leather pad of the LCDs ( compared to the pleather on the K550s ) I actually felt like the LCDs were trying to make love to my ears. I just realized there and then that although I didn't really like the LCDs - I instantly started to "see the light" once I had them side by side with my HP which I was very much enjoying up until then. So the decision to upgrade my HPs came as more of a brain thing rather than a heart thing.
After realizing there aren't many tests that need to be done to compare the 2 HPs as it was pretty obvious where it was going - I started playing around with the LCDs on the other pieces of gear I had at my disposal. Tried them on the E10 alone and AS EXPECTED - they sounded pretty bad - I couldn't put my finger on what it was exactly but it was pretty awful ( yeah go figure the $80 couldn't handle the big-boys ).
I then stared to play around with the E20 vs the X5+E12 combo trying to hear any differences... There were single track tests, and to my untrained wooden ears - they sounded the same. I mean considering the price of the USB Cable used between the laptop and the E20 which was higher than the whole X5 + E12 setup I was expecting more. The other 2 guys said they COULD hear differences and I'm not to say they weren't or it was placebo but really I was expecting something obvious considering the huge price difference. The X5 + E12 with the LCDs sounded VERY GOOD TO ME. I said why not try the E10 - with the E12 to see what's what. Surprisingly, it didn't sound bad at all TO ME which again was a bit of a shock and sudden realized just HOW MUCH importance the AMP plays in a Headphone setup compared the the DAC. What's funny is that I left pretty shaken from my friend - pretty decided to purchase something I wasn't even thinking of purchasing, I know I know - what was I thinking when I decided to try out the LCDs in the first place :D

I am pretty sure that if I were to have listened to the E20 for 2 days and then got back to the E10+E12 I would have felt some obvious differences BUT this made me think: REALLY WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT in the end ? I already concluded that between headphones the difference was huge, that is BY FAAAAAAAAAAAR the biggest difference in the sound - and the other 2 components although important - a lot further down the line. The AMP is visibly more important then the DAC. But what's the bottom line here - my purpose is to listen to music and feel good about it. Would a pair of LCDs ( and hopefully the HE-500 ) would bring a big improvement ? Absolutely. Would a decent DAC/Amp be enough TO ENJOY MUSIC ? For me it would. Yeah I'm sure the X5 + E12 sounds a bit worse against the E20 or other hi-end combos but for me it's pretty darn close when listened to 20 minutes of tracks I know very well. Why do we need to spend 1 week of crazy ANALytical listening sessions just to justify spending 5-10 times as much as the current dac/amp/cables gear for some differences that PERHAPS are there but DO NOT do anything to enhance the music listening experience too much. I think we're too much drown to the technical perfection which we will never achieve - even if we have millions at our disposal because next year "they" will come up with something "better". Yes Headphones do bring a huge difference in sound - but as long as they are driven properly and you have a decent source - it should suffice the music listening goal. But that's just my opinion - it's perhaps because I don't hear the subtilities and to be honest, I'm not even sure I WANT TO :wink:

PS. Ohhhh SCHIIT this was a very long post - sorry bout that =))

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #1,597 of 1,909
Is it worth it to spend the $40 extra for the Modi/Magni 2 over the 1st gen on Schiits website?

I'm entry level into this hobby and know NOTHING about how to tell the difference between the 2 generations.

Will be using with DT 990 Pros

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #1,598 of 1,909
  Is it worth it to spend the $40 extra for the Modi/Magni 2 over the 1st gen on Schiits website?

I'm entry level into this hobby and know NOTHING about how to tell the difference between the 2 generations.

If you're on a budget and won't appreciate subtle differences, it may not be worth the extra cost.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,599 of 1,909

Maybe not on Modi, but for Magni 2 I would say yes. The gain switch may come in handy someday.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,601 of 1,909

I would tend to agree with what was posted.  If you can't tell or don't care enough to tell (which is how I roll on most days too) you're prolly better off with the gen 1s.  The gain switch & the pre amp outs of the uber version for speakers are nice to have but not immediately useful for you at this point.  
Moreover, once Schiit has exhausted of their gen 1 stock, you may even get a better return on your investment in the near future if you decide to sell your MM1 stack if you decide to do so.
You can worry about the added features next time. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,602 of 1,909
My suggestion is to get an affordable hub for those devices, then see if the Modi 2 Uber works fine on your computer. If there are serious problems, you may need the Wyrd, but otherwise, it's better to save your money.

Thanks, probably a good idea. I'm waiting on some custom IEMs so when those arrive I'll do a bit of a test and make a decision.

Any feedback from anyone who uses the Wyrd would be appreciated though.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,603 of 1,909

I briefly used a Wyrd when I first got my Modi 2U. I found that it didn't make any difference I could detect. This is in contrast with the Modi 1 + Wyrd, where I did hear an improvement in sound quality. I've never had much problem with dropouts, I just got the Wyrd as an experiment for my Modi 1 originally.

I just use the Modi 2U by itself now with my Asgard 2. I'd say unless you have power issues with USB, you don't need Wyrd with Modi 2U.

Edit: This post prompted to do a reevaluation of the Wyrd hooked up again in my system. This time I'm hearing a difference (like I did with the Modi 1) and I'm back to using the Wyrd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back