The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 28, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,606 of 1,909
  Pretty quiet on the M&M2Ü front.  Does anyone have any impressions to share?

Working on it... The headphone adapter I bought to try with my IEMs (Bowers and Wilkins C5s) was DOA (or at least I hope it was, as it otherwise means my Magni 2U is shot - but I got the same lack-of-mids on two separate 1/4" outputs from the same source material).

I've got the AKG K7xx coming from MassDrop hopefully in the next week or two and will add my $0.02 then. :)

Also just ordered a Fulla and will provide some color commentary on the difference for anyone interested.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,607 of 1,909

This thread may have slowed down in the last few days, but 1,603 posts so far is useful, yes?

I suppose, once you WADE through the MANY HUNDREDS of posts about:

1.  Whippee I just order my Schiit, can't wait till it comes posts.
2.  Ahhh, I've been waiting for a shipping confirmation, hope I get confirmation soon posts.
3.  Still waiting and it's really hard to wait posts.
4.  Etc etc etc posts.

:)

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,608 of 1,909

2.  Ahhh, I've been waiting for a shipping confirmation, hope I get confirmation soon posts.
4.  Etc etc etc posts.

Yeah... some people get really excited about their Schiit.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,609 of 1,909
  Pretty quiet on the M&M2Ü front.  Does anyone have any impressions to share?

My impressions of the Uber would leave an uber impression on you.
dt880smile.png

Crazy thing, guys: when I first used the Modi 2 and Magni 2 Uber with various headphones, there were only slight improvements compared to listening from portable devices or my laptop's headphone jack...but since using certain programs and settings (letting the DAC interact with the computer in a certain way and letting the computer operate in a certain way), there is a gigantic leap in sound quality! Like, most people wouldn't even believe me until they heard it with their own ears. Sneak peak: I'm even hearing instruments I never heard before.

I am slowly working on an extensive guide related to this. Once it's ready, you should be able to find it on the bottom-right corner of the site under New Articles.

Until then, stay uber!

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #1,610 of 1,909
Hello, I'm new here, have ultrasone 650 proline headphones, 
and I bought magni 2  3 weeks ago from schiit magni web page. it's a great gear for my needs.
But I had a problem with provided AC power supple.
I've written a letter to magni support and in 4 days the new one was arrived to Spain.
Incredible customer supports.
You are really good guys.
thank you so much.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,611 of 1,909
Ok that's it...enough already with these damn Y-connectors splitting the analog output from my Bifrost so that I can feed both my speaker amp and my headphone amp.  Those connectors DO degrade the signal.  And I just hate switching out cables between the amps.  So, I ordered a SYS.  I hope that it is clean and keeps the signal integrity out of the Bifrost.

And, since I already had the SYS on the order form, I just had to add a Magni 2Ü even though I said in an earlier post that I didn't see the need to upgrade from my Magni original.  DAMN YOU JASON for making such irresistible products!!

Oh well, since the Magni 2Ü has preamp outputs now I can throw out those confounded Y-connectors from my computer setup as well.  I suppose I can relocate my original Magni to my bedside table (no really honey, you won't hear a thing).  However, now my M&M stack finishes will be mismatched because I'm totally satisfied with my original Modi, really I am...I do have some restraint you know.

I must say the SYS in my main system is awesome. I don't detect any difference in sound quality (like I DID with the Y-connectors). No more switching out cables, just press the selector button on the SYS. Love it!

As for my original Magni, I decided to use it with my Rega RP1 turntable & NAD phono preamp. Man this puppy conveys the luscious vinyl warmth to the HD650's beautifully.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,612 of 1,909
I must say the SYS in my main system is awesome. I don't detect any difference in sound quality (like I DID with the Y-connectors). No more switching out cables, just press the selector button on the SYS. Love it!

As for my original Magni, I decided to use it with my Rega RP1 turntable & NAD phono preamp. Man this puppy conveys the luscious vinyl warmth to the HD650's beautifully.

I have no problems using a Y connectors with my Bifrost as its output impedance is more than low enough to drive more than the two amps.The capacitance in short Y connects/cables isn't enough to affect treble at all.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,613 of 1,909
  I have no problems using a Y connectors with my Bifrost as its output impedance is more than low enough to drive more than the two amps.The capacitance in short Y connects/cables isn't enough to affect treble at all.

Yeah I don't know what's up with the 2 sets that I've tried but to my ears they seem to smear the detail.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #1,615 of 1,909
Jan 29, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,617 of 1,909

4.  Etc etc etc posts.

This made me laugh. I live in Orange County, Cal. I order my Schiit one day and have it in the mail the next day.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,618 of 1,909
I am currently using Creative X-FI HD USB and have my newly purchased Beyerdynamic T90 headphone plug into the headphone jack.

But I wonder will the Modi really provides a better sound quality compare to my existing X fi? Or if i hook up the x fi with Magni would be roughly the same sound quality compare to Modi/Mafni stack?

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,619 of 1,909
Alright, SO, to start out, I previously had/still have a pair of V-Moda M80's. However, I just now finally made the dive into open headphones and ordered a pair of AKG K7XX's from Massdrop. I've been researching a bit into amp/dac combos since I'll need them to drive the K7XX's and get the most out of those badboys. From what I've read it looks like the Magni2/Modi2 combo looks like the best bet for what I'm willing to spend, and are unbeatable at this price-point, but here's my question.

Without digging through hundreds and hundreds of posts, and sorry if this has been answered prior, but can anyone quickly tell me what combo would be most advantageous for me to buy? Is it worth the extra $100 to buy the Uber editions of both the Magni2 + Modi2? Or should I buy just the Uber edition of one, and then the base version of the other? Or just buy the base versions of both?

Any input about this Schiit would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,620 of 1,909
  Alright, SO, to start out, I previously had/still have a pair of V-Moda M80's. However, I just now finally made the dive into open headphones and ordered a pair of AKG K7XX's from Massdrop. I've been researching a bit into amp/dac combos since I'll need them to drive the K7XX's and get the most out of those badboys. From what I've read it looks like the Magni2/Modi2 combo looks like the best bet for what I'm willing to spend, and are unbeatable at this price-point, but here's my question.

Without digging through hundreds and hundreds of posts, and sorry if this has been answered prior, but can anyone quickly tell me what combo would be most advantageous for me to buy? Is it worth the extra $100 to buy the Uber editions of both the Magni2 + Modi2? Or should I buy just the Uber edition of one, and then the base version of the other? Or just buy the base versions of both?

Any input about this Schiit would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The differences between the standard Magni and Modi and the Uber versions are clearly outlined in the FAQ sections of the Schiit website. You need to decide if you will need the extra features, now, or in the future.

I'm sure you will be very satisfied, no matter what you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back