The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 31, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,621 of 1,909
  Alright, SO, to start out, I previously had/still have a pair of V-Moda M80's. However, I just now finally made the dive into open headphones and ordered a pair of AKG K7XX's from Massdrop. I've been researching a bit into amp/dac combos since I'll need them to drive the K7XX's and get the most out of those badboys. From what I've read it looks like the Magni2/Modi2 combo looks like the best bet for what I'm willing to spend, and are unbeatable at this price-point, but here's my question.

Without digging through hundreds and hundreds of posts, and sorry if this has been answered prior, but can anyone quickly tell me what combo would be most advantageous for me to buy? Is it worth the extra $100 to buy the Uber editions of both the Magni2 + Modi2? Or should I buy just the Uber edition of one, and then the base version of the other? Or just buy the base versions of both?

Any input about this Schiit would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I got the Magni 2 Uber since I wanted the preamp outputs to connect active monitors, plus it has slightly higher output power and looks a little better. At the time, I only had enough to get the Modi 2 (non-Uber), but the differences between the DACs are much less significant than the amps. I don't need anything but USB anyway, so it worked out nicely.

It mostly depends on whether you want the extra inputs and outputs. (Unlikely in the context of listening to headphones on a PC audio system.)

Your K7XX won't ship until February 17th, right?

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,622 of 1,909

I got the Magni 2 Uber since I wanted the preamp outputs to connect active monitors, plus it has slightly higher output power and looks a little better. At the time, I only had enough to get the Modi 2 (non-Uber), but the differences between the DACs are much less significant than the amps. I don't need anything but USB anyway, so it worked out nicely.

It mostly depends on whether you want the extra inputs and outputs. (Unlikely in the context of listening to headphones on a PC audio system.)

Your K7XX won't ship until February 17th, right?

I actually won't get mine until the March 3rd shipment, because I was at work when the February 17th shipment went live and it sold out before I got home. So I do have some time to decide, thankfully, and look at all my options. I'm looking at a Virtual Surround Devices too to use with my PS4. UGH, so much research.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,624 of 1,909
Looks like ill be investing in the Magni 2/Modi 2, I'm a first timer when it comes to Dacs/Amps so I think these would be worth starting off with.

Good choice.
L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,628 of 1,909
  To Uber or not to Uber that is the question.

Precisely, very well put right there ^
I have some time to decide I guess, need to make some money first!

It won't be long till you change careers to bank robber. Realistically, you can go Ubers and call it a day, besides all of the barking on the forums as long as you have a decent DAC/Amp it's headphones that will make the big difference. Some headphones have demanding driving requirements, however, the Magni will admirably power most headphones.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,629 of 1,909

It won't be long till you change careers to bank robber. Realistically, you can go Ubers and call it a day, besides all of the barking on the forums as long as you have a decent DAC/Amp it's headphones that will make the big difference. Some headphones have demanding driving requirements, however, the Magni will admirably power most headphones.

Bahahah that's true, can barely 200$ and i'm still researching what to buy next ! That's true, I think they'd last long enough.. Worth the investment

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,630 of 1,909
Hello,
Just a quick question, doe the Modi 2 Uber works with Xbox one? Will it improve the sound of games (going into a Magni hP amp)?
Will it introduce lag? Presumably it's connected via the toslink? Is this  good idea in general?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,631 of 1,909
  Hello,
Just a quick question, doe the Modi 2 Uber works with Xbox one? Will it improve the sound of games (going into a Magni hP amp)?
Will it introduce lag? Presumably it's connected via the toslink? Is this  good idea in general?

Thanks!

I don't have an Xbox One, but yes, it'll work just fine as long as it has optical/toslink out.

From a technical/measurable standpoint, yes, it will probably improve the sound of games. Will you be able to notice? Maybe, but that's pretty dependent on your ears and cans (personally, I don't hear any real differences between non-crap DACs unless I'm really concentrating, and even then there's no guarantee I will).

It should not introduce any noticeable lag (technically it might be either a couple hundredths of a second faster or slower to process audio than what you are using right now, but it shouldn't be anything you'll ever notice).

Is it a good idea in general? If you usually game with headphones then yeah, it probably is.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,632 of 1,909

Thanks mate.

Another question, if I get the Normal Modi 2 - without the toslink and power, can it run off the usb connection of an iPod touch 3rd generation (i think it's like an iPhone 3GS or something similar) - obviously I'll need to get the right cable - how fast will it drain the battery?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #1,633 of 1,909
Thanks mate.

Another question, if I get the Normal Modi 2 - without the toslink and power, can it run off the usb connection of an iPod touch 3rd generation (i think it's like an iPhone 3GS or something similar) - obviously I'll need to get the right cable - how fast will it drain the battery?

Thanks!
I'm not sure that this would work because the Modi will try to draw too much power. You'll possibly want a powered hub or a Schiit Wyrd for this to work.

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,635 of 1,909
Modi 2 Uber to use an iPhone as a source w/o problems? Understood with non-Uber you would probably need a powered usb hub or similar.

You will still need that powered Hub. The Uber uses its linear power supply for all things but its USB port

Users who are viewing this thread

Back