The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #227 of 1,909
So you probably cheaped out and left the protection off this amp, or something stupid like that, right?
No. Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber have relay mute for delayed startup and fast shut-down. You can leave your headphones plugged in all the time

i was wrong.

i left my pc on all the time, as long as i can plug my headphone in all the time while the pc's on, everything's kosher with me.

thanks!

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #228 of 1,909
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #229 of 1,909
  placed my order yesterday 

hi jaywillin

amazon doesn't ship to where im at. but there's a local monoprice importer.. based on your amazon link, this is the one i should get for the cable right?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

by the way, on monoprice i also find

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9299&seq=1&format=2

is both the same cable? can i buy that? for vanity reason, the white color looks better, im just not sure whether the white one is the same cable with the amazon one you reference or not because the white one is "3ft Designed for Mobile 3.5mm Stereo Male to RCA Stereo Male"

while the amazon link you refer to, it's a "3ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male"

i ask also because while monoprice description writes both as 3.5mm to RCA, the picture looks different...

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #230 of 1,909

hi jaywillin

amazon doesn't ship to where im at. but there's a local monoprice importer.. based on your amazon link, this is the one i should get for the cable right?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

by the way, on monoprice i also find

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9299&seq=1&format=2

is both the same cable? can i buy that? for vanity reason, the white color looks better, im just not sure whether the white one is the same cable with the amazon one you reference or not because the white one is "3ft Designed for Mobile 3.5mm Stereo Male to RCA Stereo Male"

while the amazon link you refer to, it's a "3ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male"

i ask also because while monoprice description writes both as 3.5mm to RCA, the picture looks different...

yes, those are fine, i just used the amazon link as illustration
you can also get higher quality cables, from companies such as audioquest , again, just for illustration purposes
http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-EVERG0-6MR-AUDIOQUEST-EVERGREEN-MINI-TO-RCA/dp/B005VQG8UE/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1418650347&sr=8-29&keywords=audioquest+rca&pebp=1418650353146

the cheaper ones are fine though if you're on a budget, soundwise, you probably wouldn't hear a difference, the audioquest cables are just a little better built

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #231 of 1,909
  Haha yes it's great for the $100 I paid.  I know someone has to be the last person to buy the old model, but it sucks when it happens to me.  Ahhh well. 
tongue_smile.gif

To be clear, I likely won't return it (I think it was about 13 or 14 days between my receipt and the new announcement).  I wanted something cheap for an office system.  I would have upgraded to the Modi Uber version had it been available at the time, as my budget was $150, but at this point I'd be paying at least $50 for turnaround shipping from Canada to get a new model - plus original $40 shipping for Modi + Wyrd - definitely not worth it for this level of DAC.

Oddly enough, my office speakers are AudioEngine A5s - which I just realized that I bought a few years ago, about 3 weeks before AudioEngine released the new A5+ model (that had the remote, which actually would have been really useful at the time).  Those were a bit more expensive to buy and I did call AE about it, but it turns out we destroyed the brand-new box in a house move at the same time, so they wouldn't accept a return.  So I guess my office system will be composed of my bad-luck gear. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #235 of 1,909

Well, this is the last time I'm going to post in this thread...

Jason posted 3 more times in this thread just now and he still hasn't officially answered what the differences are between Modi and Modi 2, other than 24/192 capabilities. He'd rather talk about return policies and Amazon, than the actual new products that's being introduced here.

You see what I mean by this question is being ignored and dodged? I don't know why it's such a difficult question to answer. I'm not the only one who's curious either. Like I said, it's been asked multiple times since the 2nd and 3rd page of this thread and still no answer. 

I'm not ignoring it or dodging it...the difference in DACs goes far beyond simply the chip, or the interface, and the important differences are clearly defined in the product description and the FAQ. 

If you want subjective sales blather about how Modi 2/Uber will transport you into new heights of audiophile pleasure, you're looking in the wrong place. Same thing if you want buzzword compliance about how we use the latest chip du jour. Again, as clearly noted in the product FAQ, we are using the AK4396 specifically because it is a very good D/A converter in absolute terms, even after the introduction of many new chips--which are typically introduced either for (a) cost-constraint, (b) higher integration (more channels), or (c) compatibility with unicorn formats such as DSD 4X/8X.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #236 of 1,909

I'm not ignoring it or dodging it...the difference in DACs goes far beyond simply the chip, or the interface, and the important differences are clearly defined in the product description and the FAQ. 

If you want subjective sales blather about how Modi 2/Uber will transport you into new heights of audiophile pleasure, you're looking in the wrong place. Same thing if you want buzzword compliance about how we use the latest chip du jour. Again, as clearly noted in the product FAQ, we are using the AK4396 specifically because it is a very good D/A converter in absolute terms, even after the introduction of many new chips--which are typically introduced either for (a) cost-constraint, (b) higher integration (more channels), or (c) compatibility with unicorn formats such as DSD 4X/8X.

i was hoping for a little sales blather  
blink.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #237 of 1,909
i was hoping for a little sales blather  :blink:
I think we're not hearing about some of these things because MOTs aren't allowed to wax fantastic about products. I believe they can only comment on specs, measurements and parts. Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't remember where I've read it, I just remember reading about it on Head-Fi said by another MOT.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #238 of 1,909
I think we're not hearing about some of these things because MOTs aren't allowed to wax fantastic about products. I believe they can only comment on specs, measurements and parts. Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't remember where I've read it, I just remember reading about it on Head-Fi said by another MOT.

i was being a little sarcastic there in case that didn't come through.
i believe you're probably right about what MOT are, and aren't allowed to say, especially degrading , dispararing  the competition , but i'm not sure
i'm sure the better companies wouldn't behave in that type of behavior anyway

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #239 of 1,909
Any one have any idea if the sound quality will be much better on the Magni 2 (Uber), not sure if i should keep my Aune T1 and get a better amp in a Project Sunrise III or sell it and grab a Modi 2/Magni 2 Uber to power my 400i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back