The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #256 of 1,909
  Is it ridiculous to consider a Magni if all I have is Monoprice 8323s?

Those headphones have no business sounding as good as they do for costing only $20 Haha  That said, you won't notice any difference since they are not hard to drive.  Like others have said, that $100-150 would be better served buying better headphones. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #257 of 1,909

Those headphones have no business sounding as good as they do for costing only $20 Haha  That said, you won't notice any difference since they are not hard to drive.  Like others have said, that $100-150 would be better served buying better headphones. 

And THEN buying the M/M....

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #258 of 1,909
Long story short, don't upgrade past your Monoprice 8323. Once you do, you and your wallet are screwed.

Run away from here, fast!

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #259 of 1,909
Speaking of wallets being screwed, just ordered the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber! 

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #260 of 1,909

They'll waive it if you return the old M/M and buy the new model with 15 days :) 

I returned the Modi (Laura and the gang at Schiit are awesome!) and purchased the Modi 2 Uber since I fell within the 15 day window too.

Didn't pull the trigger on the Magni 2 Uber because I'm using my Vali as the amp, so my wallet didn't take quite the hit yours did.

Can't wait to hear it!

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #261 of 1,909
I ordered the Magni 2 Uber, I'm uber excited for this schiit! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #262 of 1,909
Meh. I've never been impressed by the way the original Magni/Modi sounded with any headphone, but I'm intrigued if these will be any kind of major improvement for the entry level cost.

Schiit definitely has their marketing strategies on point, though!

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #263 of 1,909
Dec 15, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #264 of 1,909
Meh. I've never been impressed by the way the original Magni/Modi sounded with any headphone, but I'm intrigued if these will be any kind of major improvement for the entry level cost.

Hoping you get the chance to evaluate.
Me? Modi 1 + Wyrd was good but not great.
And with no need for optical or other DAC inputs I am passing for now.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #265 of 1,909

so the circuit topology improvement would be "less noticeable" perhaps for folks who have Wyrd+Modi 1?

except that's not "all other things being equal" since the Wyrd is delivering reclocked/stable USB packets to the Modi1. 
(ie.  no reclocked USB inside Modi2.  that we know of.)

I didn't say that. I think it's important to be accurate when quoting or making assumptions or in the absence of data or direct product experience.

What I am saying is that Modi2 can sound better than Modi1 in a controlled, direct comparison (the only change being the DACs) simply because of an improved circuit topology. That's likely not the only change that was made, but a more sophisticated circuit topology can provide a significant improvement. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #267 of 1,909
  I didn't say that. I think it's important to be accurate when quoting or making assumptions or in the absence of data or direct product experience.

What I am saying is that Modi2 can sound better than Modi1 in a controlled, direct comparison (the only change being the DACs) simply because of an improved circuit topology. That's likely not the only change that was made, but a more sophisticated circuit topology can provide a significant improvement. 

1.  I know you didn't say/state that, which is why I merely asked a question.

2.  agreed on your statement that a circuit topology can provide significant improvement.
but I'm saying this "topology" improvement has somewhat been done in Wyrd+Modi for some of us.

Thus, the direct comparison might need to be made for Modi 1 and Modi1+Wyrd to gauge "value" or benefit.

and of course the subjective answers will never be concrete for everyone's rig.
so what's the point of this debate at the moment, I don't know.  and will bow out.
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #268 of 1,909

1.  I know you didn't say/state that, which is why I merely asked a question.

2.  agreed on your statement that a circuit topology can provide significant improvement.
but I'm saying this "topology" improvement has somewhat been done in Wyrd+Modi for some of us.

Thus, the direct comparison might need to be made for Modi 1 and Modi1+Wyrd to gauge "value" or benefit.

and of course the subjective answers will never be concrete for everyone's rig.
so what's the point of this debate at the moment, I don't know.  and will bow out.
confused_face_2.gif

I think you're misunderstanding the difference between in and out. Wyrd cleans up the stuff before it goes through DA conversion, the topology has a bigger difference over what comes out.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #269 of 1,909
  I think you're misunderstanding the difference between in and out. Wyrd cleans up the stuff before it goes through DA conversion, the topology has a bigger difference over what comes out.

ok.
I'll wait for someone to crack open the Modi 1 and Modi 2 to show where the deltas exist.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #270 of 1,909
Running a Gen. 1 Modi and a Valhalla 2 at the moment.  I know this may incur some flack (Not the codec kind either...) but does the Modi 2 Ü really provide ANYTHING of use to someone who  only uses USB?  It is highly debatable as to whether the "Hi-Res" audio can produce any humanly perceivable alterations to sound with most perceived "improvements" coming from better masters.  My audio collection consists of lossless CD rips, so I am left wondering just how much better the Modi 2 Ü would be than the Gen. 1.  The "circuit topology" might have changed, and I would expect it to with the added inputs, but before the hype-train leaves the station we might need to actually, ya know.... take a listen.

On the upside, man does the Uber look cool... would match my Valhalla 2 nicely indeed... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back