The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 15, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #211 of 1,909

Well, there's actual specs and lengthy measurements posted about the ODAC so there's not really much "supposing" if you really wanted to look into it.

You silly guys and your bickering about $100 DACs.

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #212 of 1,909
Except a great majority of people in this world will NEVER buy an external DAC in their life, let alone listen to a decent pair of headphones.

Even though you laugh at  $100 DAC "bickerings", that's only in the context of head-fi. $100 bucks sounds like nothing to us, sure, but that's only cause you're HERE.

Sorry for being a ******. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #213 of 1,909
  Except a great majority of people in this world will NEVER buy an external DAC in their life, let alone listen to a decent pair of headphones.

Even though you laugh at  $100 DAC "bickerings", that's only in the context of head-fi. $100 bucks sounds like nothing to us, sure, but that's only cause you're HERE.

Sorry for being a ******. 
beerchug.gif

i see your point, but that "great majority" isn't here, we're a relatively small bunch here, one of the reason's i'm here, is i get to communicate with folks who dig this stuff, most,maybe all the folks i actually know, and interact here in my everyday life, don't even know what a dac is, or care. 
debating , asking questions is great, it's how we learn, but a lot of times we beat the dead horse too much, and take it way to serious. 
if i had a question i really wanted answered from a company regarding a product, i wouldn't ask here, i'd shoot them an email, instead of drawing some sort of negative conclusion from a company's lack of response here on the forums. and if a response is given that isn't an answer, or an answer you don't like, don't buy the product, and move on to the next thing, no big deal, just my $.02

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #214 of 1,909
Ok, so from Modi1->Modi2 we get: usb2.0 driver support instead of the old school 1.1 native, linear power supply, and the same chip but with an improved layout and topology. Switching to Uber gives use that plus more source options, pretty case, and discreet output?

If so I'm down. All that remains is for me to decide if I get the Magni 2 uber or just use my Magni until I finish my M3

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #215 of 1,909
Both views definitely have merit. As long as it doesn't get personal or heated i see no issue with discussion. Of course pressing a point others don't want to discuss is also an issue in of itself though.

I understand why Jason hasn't commented, he probably has more information "coming soon" knowing the book thread. For those of us who are impatient (i would really like to know the difference for the optical out from my tv, if any) it can be very frustrating and seem unprofessional. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone in this business, especially a team who are usually very open.

Another $0.02

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #217 of 1,909
  Both views definitely have merit. As long as it doesn't get personal or heated i see no issue with discussion. Of course pressing a point others don't want to discuss is also an issue in of itself though.

I understand why Jason hasn't commented, he probably has more information "coming soon" knowing the book thread. For those of us who are impatient (i would really like to know the difference for the optical out from my tv, if any) it can be very frustrating and seem unprofessional. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone in this business, especially a team who are usually very open.

Another $0.02

we got $.04 !
schiit, more so than most other specialty providers, don't use a lot of hocus pocus pseudo-science to market their stuff it seems, now they do market well, and that's part of what a good 
company must do i'd think. i like the humor, and the lack of BS !

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #219 of 1,909
initially i posted this question on the wrong thread...

i double post it here,

hi

i have never own a dac or amp before. (well.. fiio e10). And i dont have any idea about what cables to plug in where. im not a tech-literate person either. i have limited budget... im thinking of getting magni, can the magni 2 be connected to my fiio e10 dac/amp?

what cable do i need to connect fiio e10 to magni?

and also... i've read schiit magni 2 FAQs,
If you don’t need preamp outputs, you’re gonna be plenty happy with Magni 2

i don't even know what preamp output means, does that mean im going to do just fine with a magni 2?

oh my headphone is 32 ohm grado, 12 ohm sony ma-900, and about to buy a 250 ohm beyer...

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #220 of 1,909
  initially i posted this question on the wrong thread...

i double post it here,

hi

i have never own a dac or amp before. (well.. fiio e10). And i dont have any idea about what cables to plug in where. im not a tech-literate person either. i have limited budget... im thinking of getting magni, can the magni 2 be connected to my fiio e10 dac/amp?

what cable do i need to connect fiio e10 to magni?

and also... i've read schiit magni 2 FAQs,
If you don’t need preamp outputs, you’re gonna be plenty happy with Magni 2

i don't even know what preamp output means, does that mean im going to do just fine with a magni 2?

oh my headphone is 32 ohm grado, 12 ohm sony ma-900, and about to buy a 250 ohm beyer...

yes, the magni 2 can be used with the magni 2, you need one of these
 http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418643614&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+to+rca+stereo+audio+cable&pebp=1418643623574

the 3.5 jack into the line out of the e10, the rca's into the magni. 
pre amp output would allow you to control a amp, like in a pair of powered desktop speakers, if you don't have that need, the plain magni 2 will be just fine with all your headphones 

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #221 of 1,909
  yes, the magni 2 can be used with the magni 2, you need one of these
 http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418643614&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+to+rca+stereo+audio+cable&pebp=1418643623574

the 3.5 jack into the line out of the e10, the rca's into the magni. 
pre amp output would allow you to control a amp, like in a pair of powered desktop speakers, if you don't have that need, the plain magni 2 will be just fine with all your headphones 

okay another question, on my fiio e10, i usually just leave my headphone plugged in when i sleep at night, many days i leave the pc on at night for cloud backups, and slow internet = takes all night.

there's no music playing or anything on the pc, it's just idle uploading backups. my question is... if i use the magni, how safe is it to leave my headphone plug all the time when the computer is not playing any sound?

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #222 of 1,909
okay another question, on my fiio e10, i usually just leave my headphone plugged in when i sleep at night, many days i leave the pc on at night for cloud backups, and slow internet = takes all night.

there's no music playing or anything on the pc, it's just idle uploading backups. my question is... if i use the magni, how safe is it to leave my headphone plug all the time when the computer is not playing any sound?

It's fine. The Magni 2 still has the relay mute that allows you to safely leave your headphones plugged in without worry of hurting them when powering on/off. Go to the Magni FAQ page on the schiit site to see it in writing.

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #224 of 1,909

and both ordered. Modi2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber - can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back