The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 13, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #106 of 1,909
Where do I drop my resume?
tongue.gif

in the circular "file cabinet" by the door there.

:wink:

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #107 of 1,909
Bifrost's first upgrade (Uber) is only $100, but that's also the Schiit-installed version. If you want to install it yourself, it's only $70. Modi 2 Uber is $150, or $50 more than a Schiit-installed Bifrost upgrade. So in the long run, it would be cheaper to simply upgrade the Bifrost.

Also, I think Bifrost is supposed to sound better than Modi, and Gungnir better than Bifrost.
You didn't count gen 2 usb, which takes it to about 180 shipped, sans install. Almost 20 more than a modi uber.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #111 of 1,909
Oh Schitt! Looks like I'll be spending more money! Thanks Jason!! Modi 2 Uber here I come!

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #113 of 1,909
  Modi 2 Uber: The Complete Mini-DAC
Honey, I shrunk the Bifrost! That’s the idea behind Modi 2 Uber. Like Bifrost, Modi 2 Uber offers USB, Toslink, and RCA inputs, each individually selectable via a front-panel button. It also has a more sophisticated analog section, with DC-coupled output...

Does the bolded part mean it will sound better?  Because I only need USB, not Toslink or RCA.  Will the Uber sound better?  And would a Bifrost sound even better still, or is that all about upgradability?

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #114 of 1,909
I'm in the same boat as Kon Peki. I don't need any new features, but an audio SQ upgrade to hold me over until I get out of school and can reasonably afford a Bifrost without cutting into my Ramen diet? That I'm very interested in.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #118 of 1,909
Great news, i guess the price tag is friendly enough to purchase the modi 2 uber despite already owning the first version.
I guess we could always push our old equipment to our offices :D

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #119 of 1,909
Oh Schiit!  Look what was on my doorstep!

I literally ordered this thing 36 hours ago and here it is!

God, I love these guys (and girl)!

I won't go too much into the sound quality of it just yet, I want to give it a couple days to break in a little.

But I will say that even fresh out of the box, it already sounds better (and a bit different) than my original Magni.  The Magni2U's soundstage is significantly more natural and open sounding. Loving it so far!
L3000.gif

And one nice little thing that's been improved that isn't on the spec sheet is that the original Magni's superbright white LED has been dimmed down to about half the brightness and it looks great.

And so far, the Magni2U seems to be running even cooler than the Magni1.  Possibly because the aluminum top dissipates the heat much better than the steel one, or maybe they reduced the Class A bias a little, or maybe its a bit of both.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #120 of 1,909
That's awesome.  Haven't received the shipping notice for mine yet (although I also ordered the Modi2U, so that will probably slow things down).  Traveling for work this week so an early delivery wouldn't do me much good anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back