The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #436 of 1,909
  So I plan to go with the magni 2 uber ad modi 2 uber. What are the best type of cables to use? I need a USB A-B cord to get power/signal from the pc to the dac and a dual RCA to RCA to run from the dac to the amp right. Anything else besides those two cords?

The Modi 2 Uber get's power from a wall wart so the USB cable is just for the signal. Those two cords should do the trick. You might want to try an "Amazon Basics" USB cable, they're inexpensive and built well. I've used Monoprice RCA cables and they work perfectly fine. Look for a short cables since you'll probably be stacking or at the very least they'll be close to each other. Looks like some fun is coming your way, enjoy it.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #437 of 1,909
I am looking at the AudioQuest Forest and AudioQuest Evergreen personally.  I doubt I could tell a difference but for me there is something to be said about piece of mind.. But keep in mind what the weakest link in your chain is going to be.  Could be the source files/ components, could be power ( I am using a Furman power conditioner).  The only way to really know is buy different levels of components and go from there, most of us can't do that so that is why we ask.  Heck I may not have the right ears to hear the differences ;p. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #438 of 1,909
  I am looking at the AudioQuest Forest and AudioQuest Evergreen personally.  I doubt I could tell a difference but for me there is something to be said about piece of mind.. But keep in mind what the weakest link in your chain is going to be.  Could be the source files/ components, could be power ( I am using a Furman power conditioner).  The only way to really know is buy different levels of components and go from there, most of us can't do that so that is why we ask.  Heck I may not have the right ears to hear the differences ;p. 

Or the emotional investment to hear differences.
wink.gif
 My main quest is to enjoy music before chasing ghosts. Some folks enjoy chasing things and if that makes one happy, that's good too.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #440 of 1,909
  I just plan to use the couple dollar monoprice cables Schitt links to on its site. If it was too schitty I'm sure they wouldn't link to it.

I have a lot of Monoprice cables including one of their 40ft HDMI cables. Never had a problem with any of them.  The only complaint that I have is some of the cables are very stiff and can be a pain for cable management.   My home theater before my divorce was wired completely with Monoprice cables.  Looking back seems amusing using cheaper cables between individual components costing $1000+,  receiver, amps, $3000 speakers, $2000 subwoofer.  But you know what it sounded just fine.  But now I am spending more for interconnects on less costly components for headphones. I think it is caused by reading too many posts on these forums.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #441 of 1,909
Probably. I found some nice cables you should buy. I think you need some of these 11 foot cables. Great bargain! :D http://www.jenalabs.com/interconnects/interconnect-13.html

Honestly though. Should I not bother buying a USB 3.0 cable since modi states USB 2. I'm a little confused why they would use 2 instead of 3.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #442 of 1,909
There's no reason to use 3.0, as far as I can tell. The last audio standard was written for USB 2.0/2.1, IIRC.

Also, there is really no such thing as a USB 3.0 cable. Really, it's the hardware behind the port that changes, not the connection system.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #443 of 1,909
  Probably. I found some nice cables you should buy. I think you need some of these 11 foot cables. Great bargain! :D http://www.jenalabs.com/interconnects/interconnect-13.html

Honestly though. Should I not bother buying a USB 3.0 cable since modi states USB 2. I'm a little confused why they would use 2 instead of 3.

I personally would buy the USB 3, as far as I know they are compatible. ( Corrected as seen below to reduce false information)  I spent 2 days diagnosing a issuing with my theater, the problem was the HDMI cable was too old of a version and would not support 3D.  But really you again likely won't have any issues either way.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #444 of 1,909
Okay, cables for newer standards might have tighter tolerances and/or limits in order to ensure signal integrity. With digital transmission lines, your usable length goes down as your operating frequency goes up, so getting a full USB 3.0 data stream might be impossible beyond a certain length, hence the "USB 3.0" cable. Otherwise, all cables within the USB standard should work.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #445 of 1,909
I personally would buy the USB 3, as far as I know they are compatible.  I spent 2 days diagnosing a issuing with my theater, the problem was the HDMI cable was too old of a version and would not support 3D.  But really you again likely won't have any issues either way.
No, you shouldn't buy a usb3 cable because it WILL NOT FIT into the Modi.

USB3 Type B

Modi 2 Uber

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #446 of 1,909

USB 3 is backwards compatible to USB 2, electrically and by protocol. Not all ends of the cable are physically the same. A USB 3 male micro B plug is not the same as a USB 2 micro B plug. So the USB 2 micro B plug will fit into the female USB 3 companion socket, however the A USB 3 male micro B plug will not fit in the female USB 2 socket. Look at pictures. They Type A you see on your laptop will fit either USB 2 or 3. Confusing isn't it. Like I said look at the pictures.
If I'm not mistaken the USB 3 cable will not fit into the Modi. You can always bounce that off of Schiit.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #448 of 1,909
Looks like I'll be joining the club soon!

Gonna sell off some of my stuff (including my portable audio system) to get the Focal Spirit Professional, Magni 2 Uber, Modi 2 Uber, and PYST cables.

So I contacted schitt support and they told me that there is a noticeable difference between magni 2 and 2 uber, however no difference between modi 2 and modi 2 uber unless you need the extra doodads on the back.

Also even though support told me there really isn't a diff between modi 2 and modi 2 uber I really wonder if maybe there is due to the stated improvements in circuit topology. I guess I'm just worried if i dont get the uber ill have sub par sound (then again streaming music from my pc sounds just fine to me so I probably wouldn't notice anyway). If only Jason could chime in if there is a real difference between the 2 and Uber besides the construction of the chassis and the inputs/outputs.

Another reason I'm getting the Modi 2 Uber instead of the Modi 2 is because it has a linear power supply and wall wart. I've heard too many bad things about USB-powered audio components. For all I know, there may be no audible difference in this case, though.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #449 of 1,909
I was also not aware of the type B connector difference...weird choice changing the connection type of the UNIVERSAL Serial Bus...

I guess this just emans that we need to get everything on the Type C connector.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #450 of 1,909
Thanks for pointing out the difference in the usb 2 and 3 cables. Also The PYST but I think im gunna gunna get the monoprice cable thats only $2.35 ffor 1.5ft...unless anyone else knows of a shorter version under 20 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back