The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #241 of 333

Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
     -Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
     -Yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
     -Less than 1%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
     -No
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
     -Interesting and can see a market for it, but not for those who have made a near-full conversion to FLAC like me... estimate that $200-$300 would be the sweet spot

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #242 of 333
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Not yet

None

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No, but it WOULD be the deciding factor in buying a digital disk player (Hint Hint Schiit
wink.gif
)

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
See above

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #243 of 333

Yes,

2. Do you own any SACDs?
No

n/a

Not really

£200-400

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #244 of 333
Yes for SACD, not so much for DSD.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Not at the moment but I might very well in the future as I upgrade my music collection.
N\A
Definitely a plus but at the moment wouldn't be a big factor.
$100-$150 would probably be tops.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #246 of 333

1. SACDs only
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
  1. Nope
  1. 0%
  1. I prefer digital media
  1. $200-300

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #247 of 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
  1. Yes
  1. SACD - 2%
    CD - 25%
    Files - 73%
  1. No, I'm tryin to get rid of all my CDs/SACDs and have only digital Files.
  1. Nothing, because of the statements above.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #248 of 333

Yep 

2. Do you own any SACDs?
 Yes I do. 

Maybe 5-10% SACD. Maybe 20% HD FLAC between 24-192. Along with 70 % CD's, all ripped to lossless.

It isn't yet but I think it will be very important in the future because of its obvious advantages.  

If it was an affordable upgrade, than yes. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #249 of 333

Yes and Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes.

Pretty low ... 2%? I have about a dozen SACDs vs. hundreds of CDs (all of which have been ripped to FLAC on external hard drive), as well as many more electronic files only (including some hirez HD Tracks downloads and vinyl needle drops).

It has not been in the past, and I doubt it would be a make or break it item in the future.  However, I'm always happy to have the extra feature! I'd certainly love to try it out and A/B direct DSD decoding from SACDs vs. the signal converted to PCM. If DSD files became available for downloading and playback via a computer system vs. having to purchase SACDs, then my answer would probably change significantly.

Hum... maybe $100-200 range, but I'd probably sit on the sidelines to read other user reviews before deciding it was "worth" making the upgrade.  While it would be great, unless the sound quality was so superior that I would start seeking out and building a larger SACD collection, it's probably just not worth it to experience "the best" with my current small collection.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #250 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1.yes
2.yes
3. ~2%
4.no
5.i dont think i will upgrade at all, since my sacd collection is really small

May 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #251 of 333
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No

0% SACD  30% CD  70% files

No, because I don't have any SACDs

Something relatively inexpensive compared to the DAC.  Probably 30% of the purchase price max.

May 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #252 of 333
1) Yes
2) Yes, over 50% are SACD (mostly hybrid sacd), 10% HDCD, 30% CD, 10% 24/192 flac
[No longer buying CD - Only sacd or flac]
3) Yes it matters, only reason to upgrade fron Centrance dac mini
4)150%-200$

May 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #253 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No - 100% digital at the moment.

0.0%

No - I think SACD will go the way of the buffalo before long.

100 - 150 USD, as long as SACDs continue to be available en masse (I have my doubts).

May 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #254 of 333
1. Q: Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  
    A: Yes

2. Q: Do you own any SACDs?  
    A: No. Most of the music I regularly listen to isn't available on SACD.

3. Q: If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 
    A: N/A

4. Q: Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
    A: No, not right now.

5. Q: If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? 
    A: Probably wouldn't opt for the upgrade. 

May 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #255 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes

I have about a dozen SACDs or hybrid CD/SACD discs.  That is waaaay less than 1% of my music collection, not even noise.

No

I wouldn't.  Nor would I probably appreciate the development cost going into the retail cost of the DAC to make it so upgradable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back