The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Sep 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #121 of 1,456
  Actually, considering what you guys are talking about has something to do with usability I don't mind if you guys decide to continue on with the discussion in here. TwinQY, I've used lee's guide for file cleaning and I've continued to use it ever since. My V player and DX50 all scanned a full 64GB card in under or around 5 minutes using both FLAC and ALAC. I've been lucky in that any file scanning issues to date have been minimal

I hope that 5 minutes is only for the first scan? How long does both units take to boot on subsequent restarts? Patience has never been my virtue either.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #122 of 1,456
Pls tell us more about the mod!

I suggest you contact goodvibes and he'll explain it to you. It's not hard at all really and only required you manually change the file allocation before updating the firmware. This will change the sound signature of the Studio for the better IMO. Giving it more warmth, a smoother treble and a hint of warmth in the mid range. This all improves the overall prat of the player. So it sounds more natural yet very detailed. I forgot the exact size he used when manually formatting it. But just PM him and I'm sure he'll help you out. I tried his suggestion and noticed the difference as well. So I stuck with it.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #123 of 1,456
  What class SD cards are you using?

Aloha.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-/dp/B009QZH6JS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380175176&sr=1-1&keywords=64gb+microsd

Actually, considering what you guys are talking about has something to do with usability I don't mind if you guys decide to continue on with the discussion in here. TwinQY, I've used lee's guide for file cleaning and I've continued to use it ever since. My V player and DX50 all scanned a full 64GB card in under or around 5 minutes using both FLAC and ALAC. I've been lucky in that any file scanning issues to date have been minimal

I'll paraphrase the PM contents (gosh we work fast) and leave out the salty language

Definitely not. I take great pride in my tags, heck I've spent hours specifying and hand-plucking UTF-8 with Musicbrainz. I've written encoders and players - I know what I'm doing with the tags schiit.

I think it's less of a problem (the guy I had it loaned from agrees with me) and more of a divergence in what we preceive to be decent times. I'm used to players that do this sort of stuff near-instantaneously. No bugs. If there is, I'm also used to ironing them out myself and going right into the stuff. Can't even do that with the piss-poor written stuff some of these new players using. Minutes is definitely not my experience.

I just easytag or write directly with the encoder with a bash file. I know you windows heretics love the mp3tag. Musicbrainz is just a database I consult with - it can't actually tag - usually when I rip CDs I double check the characters on there to see what's up. Frankly my tagging system works at a pretty decent rate - I've worked at it for years and get new stuff on the regular with no problems. The thing is - most players apart from the schiitfirmwared have little to no problems with this, especially with regards to speed. For the heck of it - I've loaded my all-jazz-all-english playlist tracks because I do the playlist-at-a-time thing - just as slow. These are direct rips with no touching of the metadata with another tagger afterwards - you can be sure as heck I don't have cdrtools pipe in asian characters for classical/jazz tracks.

You know - there's an AK120 out for demo at my local headphone store...:p 

I did have to stop using the indexing afterwards and just used the browser as I was on a deadline. All in all - great player, great design, great form, great aesthetics. A bit more polish on everything's all I ask. The UI for the most part was fine - I'm a sucker for those kind of looks - just didn't blow me away.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #125 of 1,456
I suggest you contact goodvibes and he'll explain it to you. It's not hard at all really and only required you manually change the file allocation before updating the firmware. This will change the sound signature of the Studio for the better IMO. Giving it more warmth, a smoother treble and a hint of warmth in the mid range. This all improves the overall prat of the player. So it sounds more natural yet very detailed. I forgot the exact size he used when manually formatting it. But just PM him and I'm sure he'll help you out. I tried his suggestion and noticed the difference as well. So I stuck with it.

Alright thanks man! Cheers!

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #126 of 1,456
As a Studio V user myself, I have to admit that the UI has its flaws. It hangs at times and I usually have to wait about 40s for the player to load my 32GB SD card which has been fully maxed out. However, given the intent of this player to give audio output with hi fidelity, I do believe that it is doing its job well (it sounds so damn good). The manufacturer never promised a top class UI, though it is a plus to have one. It's like asking a Prius to perform like an EVO together with the good fuel economy. Just my two cents :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #127 of 1,456
The only shady part of ibasso was that they released dx50 with a beta firmware and that made some impatient customers angry...Now I use my dx50 with ease, sound quality is decent, reasonable battery life and no need to carry a stack.. if SQ of ipod is really all that, we wouldn't see so many idevice dac/amp in the market...
DX50 is a cheap alternative to AK100 for portable high res playback but it started off on a wrong foot....the current state of audiophile DAP market is not sad really, there are so many choices to choose from..and we will have even more soon....

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #128 of 1,456
Cosmic that is not uncommon for these DAP makers. Hisound, Hifiman, Colorfly, Sansa, Cowon etc have all done this. But the severity does differ from all these manufacturers. The Sansa Fuze + is a very good example of a poorly executed design and UI which still to this day does not work properly unless you use rockbox. At least there is a solution in that case though. ibasso has done this even with the DX100. Not that I agree with their actions but it's been happening for a long time.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #129 of 1,456
Great thread.

I have drunk the apple kool aid and have largely stayed within its gated walls.

Great thing about being in Tokyo is I also get to try all the other Daps about, either at shows or from other head-fiers.
I hvve been tempted at times, but as the threads says great sond wth dubious ui at times.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #130 of 1,456
I think high end DAPs are like high maintenance women or agitated babies. You have to know how to treat them and you won't have too many problems:

- I owned the DX100 and after a week of adjustement it worked perfectly. I just sold it because of the size
- I owned a modded AK100 and after a week of cleaning all my tags I never had a problem. I sold it to get an AK120
- I owned the AK120 and never had any issue with it (my tags were clean from the AK100)
- I now own the 901 and after a week of adjustement I never had any problem
- I have owned a Tera for months and never has an issue

So the overall state is not so sad in my opinion. You just have to know and accept the limitations of said players.

As a comparison, I have owned a Cowon X7 which bricked 3 times and I had to send it back to Korea each time.

Of course ipods are more fluid and don't brick, but that is partly because they take full control over your library. No drag and drop, and they add SO MUCH CRAP to your tags it's unbelievable.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #131 of 1,456
Great thread.

I have drunk the apple kool aid and have largely stayed within its gated walls.

Great thing about being in Tokyo is I also get to try all the other Daps about, either at shows or from other head-fiers.
I hvve been tempted at times, but as the threads says great sond wth dubious ui at times.

You spoiled little rice-kitty :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back