The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Jul 21, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,336 of 1,456
That's got to be some strong quality weed if he's pricing his stuff that high LMAO

It's no joke ( well I guess it is). http://www.tera-player.com/

That is a heap of money for a resistor network and a ram buffer. Not even platinum or brushed whatever like the Haagen Dazs players.

I am in the wrong line of work.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,337 of 1,456
I believe (and assume) Charles raises the price of his Terra player each time a new high price is set by another company. (AK being the last two times with AK240 and now AK380). It's like he thinks it's completely worth the money and wants to stay ahead of the compeition..

Just what I've observed over the last year or two.

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,338 of 1,456
I believe (and assume) Charles raises the price of his Terra player each time a new high price is set by another company. (AK being the last two times with AK240 and now AK380). It's like he thinks it's completely worth the money and wants to stay ahead of the compeition..

Just what I've observed over the last year or two.

That would appear to be the business model he is following. Wonder how that is working out for him?

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,339 of 1,456
Wonder how that is working out for him?

Something suggests to me not so well?

However, I still picture the occasional high class, high roller, money no object, crazy? people purchasing a few units.

I think I read more to it though a long time ago somewhere. Something about the NOS Dac he uses being quite rare now?

(don't quote me on that, I cannot completely remeber)

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,340 of 1,456
Something suggests to me not so well?

However, I still picture the occasional high class, high roller, money no object, crazy? people purchasing a few units.

I think I read more to it though a long time ago somewhere. Something about the NOS Dac he uses being quite rare now?

(don't quote me on that, I cannot completely remeber)

You mean there are no asiatic clones of that chip? wonder why that might be
cool.gif

Well his website did start out as a DIY project. I wonder if anyone out there HTTracked it.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,341 of 1,456
Whether that NOS DAC be rare or not Charlies playing a dangerous game. As it is, with the market becoming so saturated, you can go to the well only so many times before the horse finally gets smart and decides to mule kick you. As I've become more acclimated to better sound I've begun to understand more the comment of "diminishing returns". There's the "its worth it to me for that extra 10% boost in sound quality" side and there's the "Its way to expensive for a scant 10% audio improvement" side. I respect both sides. The sides I don't respect are the "I'm buying it because I want to prove to everyone I'ma big shot'" side, and the "we're upping our products price point because we put the word audiophile on the packaging and as such we know we can get away with it" side. Those two sides I've come to despise. 

All that aside, if I ever was to meet Charlie in person I can't help but think we'd probably have one hell of a weekend drinking our faces off while violently arguing about audio. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,342 of 1,456
There are some people in this world who will just buy "the most expensive" cuz it "sounds the best". Yeah I know it is not logic, but people believe it.

I heard from a friend of Charles (who is also my friend) that when the price was something like 3.5k euros, he was still selling it in good amounts.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,343 of 1,456

Btw, all the smartphones are built by FoxConn nowadays right?

Hello, AmberOzL -

No--at least not according to my limited understanding. There are at least a few such facilities in the world, with Taiwan's Pegatron among the largest. Both Apple and Samsung are Pegatron clients, along with many other companies. And yes, as you might guess, "big P" has its own horror stories. Indeed, between the two facilities, Foxconn may actually be the lesser evil. Maybe.

Smartphone buyers in Europe are more fortunate than those elsewhere, as there is a group striving to build a cruelty-free phone. Take a look at Fairphone.

Kind regards,
Brian

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,344 of 1,456
  Whether that NOS DAC be rare or not Charlies playing a dangerous game. As it is, with the market becoming so saturated, you can go to the well only so many times before the horse finally gets smart and decides to mule kick you. As I've become more acclimated to better sound I've begun to understand more the comment of "diminishing returns". There's the "its worth it to me for that extra 10% boost in sound quality" side and there's the "Its way to expensive for a scant 10% audio improvement" side. I respect both sides. The sides I don't respect are the "I'm buying it because I want to prove to everyone I'ma big shot'" side, and the "we're upping our products price point because we put the word audiophile on the packaging and as such we know we can get away with it" side. Those two sides I've come to despise. 

All that aside, if I ever was to meet Charlie in person I can't help but think we'd probably have one hell of a weekend drinking our faces off while violently arguing about audio. 

In psychology Value is defined as: That which reduces needs. Or. That which alleviates negative prospects. How we define our personal needs or what is a negative prospect is a very personal and sometimes quite irrational decision process. Setting a high price on something which is not a need does trigger a response almost automatically that tells you somewhere deep down any other product somehow has some negative prospect to it.

I hope you stick Charlie with the tab for that weekend
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,345 of 1,456

Hello, AmberOzL -

No--at least not according to my limited understanding. There are at least a few such facilities in the world, with Taiwan's Pegatron among the largest. Both Apple and Samsung are Pegatron clients, along with many other companies. And yes, as you might guess, "big P" has its own horror stories. Indeed, between the two facilities, Foxconn may actually be the lesser evil. Maybe.

Smartphone buyers in Europe are more fortunate than those elsewhere, as there is a group striving to build a cruelty-free phone. Take a look at Fairphone.

Kind regards,
Brian

If I remember right, there was once a story in the world news concerning employees at Pegatron complaining of becoming sick and poisoned from inhaling fumes during the screen making process of phones

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #1,346 of 1,456

Hello, AmberOzL -

Kind regards,
Brian

I got the point of the Fairphone 2 bur they charge way too much for it. I looked at the specs then at the price, something ain't right. Maybe all the other good things they do made them increase the price, I don't know. However, if I were to buy a phone that costs 500€+ I would look for something better. Plus, as I mentioned to Arly here before, after years of using Android, it became a big turn off for me. I think, most likely, I will settle down on a Windows Phone OS.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,349 of 1,456
Phone wise, I own a Oneplus, and will get the next model. They have top performance, cost only 350, and the battery life craps all over iPhone and Samsung. I don't use it for music, but supposedly they sound nice.

As for the Tera, I am happy I got mine under 1k long ago...still worth the 1k but not more IMO.

Unfortunately OnePlus doesn't send their phone to my country. That would be the only device could make me stay in Android.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,350 of 1,456
As requested a couple of days ago. I did the best I could and tried not to come across as overly snippy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back