The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Mar 15, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #1,081 of 1,456
I can agree on the promo video being a touch overcooked, certainly from an Australians point of view. Although they did grab me a little with the 'music isn't being heard how it's suppose to" the entire promo video came across a little cheesy to a few people I showed here in Australia. I've spoken with Arly about his video via PM so, not need to repeat it here. Bascially I'm 50/50 whether PONO will survive in the market, though I'm open for an ending either way.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #1,083 of 1,456
When is a DAP not a DAP.?

When it's a misdirection technique used to distract people from the actual money to be made.

With all due respect to Mr. Young, it's no big secret that artists have long been gritting there teeth over the compensation they share with record labels and distributors. Apple came along with the perfect marketing system and cut the throats of both and makes a healthy 30 points on each sale.

We already have hi res music and players. What is different here is the artist(s) are now in charge of the distribution system. That's where the real revenue is.

They hit the kickstarter target (800,000) in 24 hours. The public is going to pay for this for the privilege of being able to pay Young & co for something that already exists elsewhere.

Flipping brilliant. Wish I'd thought of it.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #1,085 of 1,456
  Well here's some interesting news, the Rockbox team have begun to port over Rockbox onto the DX50. They have early release out already and early reports seem to be its a decent user experience. i'm gonna keep an eye on this and wait for a fully stable Rockbox port. Who knows, maybe the Rockbox team can save the DX50 for me.

@DigitalFreak  Interesting!  This made me think it would be truly smart for one of these DAP manufacturers who obviously lack software skills to just hire the Rockbox people, right from the beginning, to create the UI - and even invite their input into the hardware design.

Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[snip]

One huge problem I have with the campaign is not only paying more for HD music, but the master of the music. So far, Neil has been campaigning for 24/96+ HD resolutions, he's been doing this for a while now actually, and that will not solve the problem of having compressed music. HD music offers no benefits to the end user.

Example 1:
A year ago I purchased Michael Jackson's "Bad" album from an HD music website. Me being an average consumer (the demographics the Pono player is targeting), I didn't know any better and I bought the thing thinking it must be better. After all, HD music offers 92831469817345 times the resolution of a CD!

That, was a big mistake.

Example 2:
Something more recent actually.
http://www.audiostream.com/content/becks-imorning-phasei-2496-download-worth-it

The second problem I have with the campaign so far is the lack of details and the non-subtle marketing. There are very minimal details about the device so far. We basically only know about the DAC, battery life, media it can play, it has a touchscreen, and it has a line out. I don't mean to bash any of the artists, but watching that campaign video was kind of painful to watch. I'm pretty certain there's a personality thing going on between the huge artists in the industry. Everyone in the video basically says it's the best thing they've heard and they're all walking out of their car. You're working with Neil Young for Pete's sake; he's a huge figure in the music industry. No artist in their right mind would go up to such a person and say "no, this sounds bad." It's like Dr. Dre offering Snoop Dogg a chance to be a part of his marketing campaign for his latest product; of course Snoop Dogg is going to say it's the best thing ever.

Iono, this is way off topic now. Don't mind me, carry on. >.>

@miceblue  You're singing my song.  See:  Do your 96kHz files contain 44.1kHz music?  

All done!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/709479/multi-review-hifiman-hm901-fiio-x5-sony-zx1-hisound-studio-3rd-anv-iphone-4#post_10349491

@eke2k6   Readers of this thread will enjoy your review - nice job!  My further comments can be found here.

Yea, you did the video in your jammies and your watch is on the wrong arm.
wink.gif

LOL  Be nice!  
tongue.gif

Making a video like that takes a lot of guts - you won't see me doing that - and I really appreciate that DigitalFreak is spectacularly genuine - aside from providing a lot of info and making some good points.  

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #1,086 of 1,456
Actually I used to do reviews of old game consoles, so I know what its like... and I actually did one wearing a very similar PJ top...kicked myself after it was uploaded cause I didn't even notice during editing haha. I stopped doing them cause its time consuming and I never liked the finished product.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,088 of 1,456
No not at all, I just realized that I should have added some context to be sure nobody took it the wrong way :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,089 of 1,456
Looks like I got busted, lol. What can I say, when I'm messing around at home I usually throw on an old pair of jeans and a pajama top. I so need a haircut
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,090 of 1,456
  When is a DAP not a DAP.?

When it's a misdirection technique used to distract people from the actual money to be made.

With all due respect to Mr. Young, it's no big secret that artists have long been gritting there teeth over the compensation they share with record labels and distributors. Apple came along with the perfect marketing system and cut the throats of both and makes a healthy 30 points on each sale.

We already have hi res music and players. What is different here is the artist(s) are now in charge of the distribution system. That's where the real revenue is.

They hit the kickstarter target (800,000) in 24 hours. The public is going to pay for this for the privilege of being able to pay Young & co for something that already exists elsewhere.

Flipping brilliant. Wish I'd thought of it.

aren't you doing the same thing every time you buy any product or service? 

the Pono player is another option on the market just as any other player at any price, people in this site seems to be happy with their $240 DX50 or $1000+ HM901 with their bugs and everything, but now people can't stand the idea of a $300-400 high-end player backed by a musician.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #1,091 of 1,456

the Pono player is another option on the market just as any other player at any price, people in this site seems to be happy with their $240 DX50 or $1000+ HM901 with their bugs and everything, but now people can't stand the idea of a $300-400 high-end player backed by a musician.

I don't think its so much the case of a celebrity backed product its more the case that in the past some of these celebrity backed products have been quite bad or mediocre therefore people have become cynical. Here's hoping we're all wrong and the player sounds as good as the advertising wants one to believe it is.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,092 of 1,456

I don't think its so much the case of a celebrity backed product its more the case that in the past some of these celebrity backed products have been quite bad or mediocre therefore people have become cynical. Here's hoping we're all wrong and the player sounds as good as the advertising wants one to believe it is.

I get your point but is not like he is selling it for $1000+ just as the other "high end" boutique daps that are filled with hardware problems and UI issues, at $300  in my personal opinion we can take a leap of faith knowing that is backed by well know companies.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,093 of 1,456
  I get your point but is not like he is selling it for $1000+ just as the other "high end" boutique daps that are filled with hardware problems and UI issues, at $300  in my personal opinion we can take a leap of faith knowing that is backed by well know companies.

Actually, its 399 and if it sounds like a good sounding 399 sounding player then i say awesome. If it doesn't, well, that's why so many people are cynical. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much hoping this player nails it in the sonics dept.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,094 of 1,456

Actually, its 399 and if it sounds like a good sounding 399 sounding player then i say awesome. If it doesn't, well, that's why so many people are cynical. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much hoping this player nails it in the sonics dept.

well, I could not resist preordering  one for $300, I wanted to get the Pearl Jam Special Edition but they were sold out, in case it sound just as my Sansa clip I will recycle as gift for someone in Christmas!

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #1,095 of 1,456

It's a sales tool. The DX and HM's and AK's are not. They are not expressly linked with with a music sales service. Thats the Apple model and as an alternative to that PONO gets credit. It's not the fact people cannot stand a player backed by a musician, it's the fact that it is being hyped as the only alternative out there.  Read the interviews and clearly Mr. Young wishes us to believe that high resolution audio does not exist outside of his system I find that very misleading and almost predatory, playing to the average music listeners ignorance of high res playback hardware and software.

I have no opinion on the device itself until it hits market. I just think people should be aware of the whole picture and judge it's value accordingly when it does hit market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back