The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Dec 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #558 of 1,456
I care. At least I care about the war the RIAA is waging. And I think there's something wrong in the current system in many countries. If I buy it I should be allowed to use it on all my devices and I shouldn't need to check the fine print on the back to ensure there's no copy protection crap.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #559 of 1,456
  I care. At least I care about the war the RIAA is waging. And I think there's something wrong in the current system in many countries. If I buy it I should be allowed to use it on all my devices and I shouldn't need to check the fine print on the back to ensure there's no copy protection crap.

And from the same Wiki you posted:

"The law makes no explicit grant or denial of a right to make a "personal use" copy of another's copyrighted content on one's own digital media and devices. For example, space shifting, by making a copy of a personally-owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person's personal use, is not explicitly allowed or forbidden."

If it was forbidden, do you really think any of the DAP manufacturers would be "alive" today? Most people transfer their CD collection to their players and the stuff they buy online (HDtracks, iTunes, etc.) is added to the already existing collection. I never met ANYONE who bought an iPod and then started to buy all of the albums they ALREADY HAVE on iTunes. It doesn't even begin to make sense. So good luck buying the CDs you already have again, I wont be spending my money on CDs I already spent money on (and I have more than 200 easily).

And back to topic...

Just tried the included MQS songs on the AK100 with my Beyer T5p's and they are sounding tasty! 
I need to put the same songs on the X3 now and see what's up.
But what I really want to do is try to create the AK100 library (database) with all my songs and see if it blows up just like the X3 does...

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #561 of 1,456

And from the same Wiki you posted:

"The law makes no explicit grant or denial of a right to make a "personal use" copy of another's copyrighted content on one's own digital media and devices. For example, space shifting
, by making a copy of a personally-owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person's personal use, is not explicitly allowed or forbidden."

If it was forbidden, do you really think any of the DAP manufacturers would be "alive" today? Most people transfer their CD collection to their players and the stuff they buy online (HDtracks, iTunes, etc.) is added to the already existing collection. I never met ANYONE who bought an iPod and then started to buy all of the albums they ALREADY HAVE on iTunes. It doesn't even begin to make sense. So good luck buying the CDs you already have again, I wont be spending my money on CDs I already spent money on (and I have more than 200 easily).

Good point. XD

Does anyone here have a FiiO X5? I signed up for the tour that FiiO is offering, but the official list of people on the tour won't be available until January 6 next year. I'm curious to see how the interface turns out with the Sansa Fuze-esque scroll wheel.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #563 of 1,456
I still would have mine if my father hasn't lost get another IPC at the airport. /tear

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #564 of 1,456
  You're not supposed to copy your discs, in some countries it's even illegal even for personal use... and yet, just try to get this disc replaced free of charge..

Depends on the law of the land.
In Canada, fair use allows us to copy media for personal use provided you don't circumvent 'digital locks'.  Granted, as music DRM is going the way of the dodo bird (Apple did away with it almost 5 years ago) this provision has less a meaning for audiophiles than it does against movie pirates, software pirates, etc.  Plus, the RIAA/CIRA have pretty much been told by the RCMP that pursuing any criminal allegations is "not a priority".

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #565 of 1,456
Good point. XD

Does anyone here have a FiiO X5? I signed up for the tour that FiiO is offering, but the official list of people on the tour won't be available until January 6 next year. I'm curious to see how the interface turns out with the Sansa Fuze-esque scroll wheel.

An X5 tour you say, could you kindly point me to the appropriate sign up thread my good sir.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #566 of 1,456
Good point. XD

An X5 tour you say, could you kindly point me to the appropriate sign up thread my good sir.

Well technically it ended 2 days ago... :/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/696004/fiio-x5-preview-world-tour-application-20-26-december-2013

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #570 of 1,456
True, but at the same time when it's not on your time it can very well be worth the time. I was a beta tester and a purchaser at the same time and can't say I was very pleased in such scenarios :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back