The S9 and J3. $100 extra for an SD slot?
Aug 22, 2010 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

faisal2003456

100+ Head-Fier
From what I understand is that the differences are the size, microSD slot, and UI. I'd rather get the S9, since it is a full $100 cheaper for the 32 GB model. Did the UI get any specific improvements in V2.53? How can Cowon charge $100 for an SD card slot?! It is amazing!

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
can this be true,, the s9 is getting an sd slot?????????? if that is so i am in ,, brilliant cowon

Not quite. The J3 basically is the same thing as the S9, just with revamped design and a MicroSD slot added. The S9 seems to remain in production for now, but it will not be updated.

To the OP, if you get a 32GB S9, it should last you a while. Otherwise you could always get a backup player like the Sansa Clip or Fuze (both which have MicroSD slots)...

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 9
The firmware version 2.5.3 upgrades overall speed... takes about 40% less time to switch functions (music to main menu to video ect.)

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
The firmware version 2.5.3 upgrades overall speed... takes about 40% less time to switch functions (music to main menu to video ect.)

Oh! Perhaps I should try it! I still have the first version with gapless MP3 playback. 2.41? I was so happy with the gapless playback that I did not bother updating any more. Also, I do not like it that when I switch to MSC mode for the update, all my playlists made with MTP will be erased. The only thing about the S9 that really bothers me...

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:

Not quite. The J3 basically is the same thing as the S9, just with revamped design and a MicroSD slot added. The S9 seems to remain in production for now, but it will not be updated.

To the OP, if you get a 32GB S9, it should last you a while. Otherwise you could always get a backup player like the Sansa Clip or Fuze (both which have MicroSD slots)...

j3 same as s9,   good to know, seeya itouch and your childish eq!   but ill proabbly keep her in the ride or the second rig
thanks

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 9
You get more than a new UI, case and microSD slot. How about the battery life and tactile buttons?
All in all the J3 is a FAR more polished player than the S9 and a worthy up-grade. I don't know why you would go the S9 unless you were really pressed for cash, and if that's the case there is probably better alternatives.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 9
I got the S9 already and for $200 (32GB) the only other DAPs I found (32GB) were the X-Fi 2, X-Fi Style, X-Fi 1, and the Zune HD. Everyone here hates Creative. It was really down between the HD and the S9 and the S9 seemed like the better choice.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Audio wise, the S9 is definitely a better choice, I completely agree... I don't hate Creative though, especially not more than the Zune HD, which has terribly SQ and a completely incompetent EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back