The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 18, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #512 of 837
You guys don't have to post to subscribe to threads... if you open up the "Thread Tools" menu just above the first post on the page, you can subscribe from there.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #513 of 837
When I get resettled (moving) I want to balance my HF2. Any idea on how they might sound balanced?

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #514 of 837
Listening now via: Cowon S9->Protector->TWag->JH13s

I just received my balanced TWag today and plugged them straight away into the Protector. The soundstage varies between not much better than SE to several inches out of my head. I guess it depends on the recording and how it was mastered. I've only listened to it for a few hours now, but there have been several jaw dropping moments. I'm actually hearing sounds outside my head, which I didn't believe was possible with an iem. Not quite the 12" someone said, maybe half that, but the amp still needs another 60 hours or so 'til 200.
There's also more space between the instruments. And the bass on some tracks is sickening. Man i'm in audio bliss!!
L3000.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #515 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening now via: Cowon S9->Protector->TWag->JH13s

I just received my balanced TWag today and plugged them straight away into the Protector. The soundstage varies between not much better than SE to several inches out of my head. I guess it depends on the recording and how it was mastered. I've only listened to it for a few hours now, but there have been several jaw dropping moments. I'm actually hearing sounds outside my head, which I didn't believe was possible with an iem. Not quite the 12" someone said, maybe half that, but the amp still needs another 60 hours or so 'til 200.
There's also more space between the instruments. And the bass on some tracks is sickening. Man i'm in audio bliss!!
L3000.gif

Ugh, these types of reviews make me want to order the twag balanced right now before my 16's arrive..

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #516 of 837
Well, got to enjoy the Predator today with balanced HD201's and almost a balanced IE8, but missed out. Very good amp - that is for sure. Bright and fun and powerful, but that connector is trouble: Japanese but looks to be discontinued here. Still not hard to re-pin to a more useful system.

Edit: bolded text above should be Protector, not Predator.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #517 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, got to enjoy the Predator today with balanced HD201's and almost a balanced IE8, but missed out. Very good amp - that is for sure. Bright and fun and powerful, but that connector is trouble: Japanese but looks to be discontinued here. Still not hard to re-pin to a more useful system.

Did you mean Protector?
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #518 of 837
Spelling error: yes, I meant Protector! Yes, the portable balanced amp from RSA - thank you for fixing my error. Finally heard it today. The man who owns it owns about 15 customs and every portable amp I've ever heard and want to hear. You think some at HF are junkies? Wow, this man probably hasn't seen money in years!

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #519 of 837
Larry's comment here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f149/t...0/index10.html

In particular, this "If I use the TWag cable + single ended adapter with Pico Slim Demo Amp or RSA P-51, I can enjoy it just as much as with the Protector single ended. But when I remove the SE adapter and go balanced, then the soundstage opens up and also becomes more transparent (I have about 160 hours on the Protector)."

has made me decided to just stick with my Protector and forgo the Slim. I read this as the Protector, Mustang and Slim being on a fairly plane when SE, but when the Protector is used in balanced mode things are taken to another level.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #524 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YUP, and keep sending to Craig for the TWag cables...

Not a bad idea!

Go Syracuse!!
For you basketball fans...

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #525 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should use your own ears, and not the ears of someone else on the internet.

With limited resources, and with the excellence that is head-fi that provides me with good information, I choose to trust 'someone else on the internet', especially one who has had the opportunity to compare both.

Besides, perhaps even you have doled out advice in the past... Take just one of your posts: "The big problem with the denon d5000s is the tone, so balancing won't fix their problems."

Wait, what? The big problem is tone, according to whose ears? Yours? OK, since I shouldn't trust your ears, so is just reading your post is wasting my time??

Of course not! This is head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
We're here exactly to read about others' opinions! Given all my monetary and informational constraints, I'll listen to those whom opinion I trust, just as I assume you will.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back