The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #481 of 837
RE: BURN-IN

Ray previously said that burning it in balanced will go faster because you are exercising all 4 buffers, but you can still burn it in single ended if you have to, it just takes longer.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #482 of 837
haha i keep thinking that im burning it in SE, and that only the positive side buffers are getting burnt in, so when i get my jh-13's that they will sound funny since the negative buffers wont have been used
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #483 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha i keep thinking that im burning it in SE, and that only the positive side buffers are getting burnt in, so when i get my jh-13's that they will sound funny since the negative buffers wont have been used
smily_headphones1.gif

Wouldn't it actually be burning in 1 of 2 positive/negative buffers?

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #484 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how many hours you guys getting per charge running balanced mode with iem?

roughly 24hours running balance mode with se530 custom..

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #485 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't it actually be burning in 1 of 2 positive/negative buffers?

well there are 4 output buffers in total, 1 each for L+, L-, R+, and R-, so i imagine that im burning in L+ and R+, so then R- and L- are left unloaded.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #486 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well there are 4 output buffers in total, 1 each for L+, L-, R+, and R-, so i imagine that im burning in L+ and R+, so then R- and L- are left unloaded.

Your imagination is wrong.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #488 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your imagination is wrong.

Care to explain?
popcorn.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #489 of 837
Well I have been running my ESW10 JPN in balanced for a few days now. At first they sounded ok, and they were already broken in but in single ended. Can't see that it makes a difference but possibly it does as they sounded a little edgy at first but still better than single ended but now they sound much better than at first. The bass is more dramatic but not over the top and the resolution has gone up to a very high level but not etched or unnatural. I hadn't planned on balancing the 10's since they are limited edition but I don't plan on getting rid of them and can't see this would decrease their value anyway. What I can say is that they are sounding great and with my adapter is is simple to use them single ended but now, why? :^)

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #490 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have been running my ESW10 JPN in balanced for a few days now. At first they sounded ok, and they were already broken in but in single ended. Can't see that it makes a difference but possibly it does as they sounded a little edgy at first but still better than single ended but now they sound much better than at first. The bass is more dramatic but not over the top and the resolution has gone up to a very high level but not etched or unnatural. I hadn't planned on balancing the 10's since they are limited edition but I don't plan on getting rid of them and can't see this would decrease their value anyway. What I can say is that they are sounding great and with my adapter is is simple to use them single ended but now, why? :^)

My guess is that the changes you're hearing has more to do with the amp burning in and opening up than anything changing with the cans.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #491 of 837
My guess is it has more to do with confirmation bias than anything else. Unless you're suggesting that the little plastic connector and aluminum pins are burning in.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #492 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This really takes an already overblown concept and takes it ludicrous levels. The same wires and drivers are being used in your headphones whether the signal is coming from a balanced or s/e amp, so how could there possibly be a difference between "breaking in single ended" and "breaking in balanced"? As grawk says, the only thing that is different is the connector and I hope that is not what you think is "burning in."

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #493 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is it has more to do with confirmation bias than anything else. Unless you're suggesting that the little plastic connector and aluminum pins are burning in.

It's possible that confirmation bias comes into play, but I asked about the amp burn-in, as I believe his amp is still well under the 100-200 hour mark recommended by the manufacturer.

If anyone can hear plastic burning in, or those tiny connectors, they have very Golden Ears. Or they're plain nuts.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #495 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's possible that confirmation bias comes into play, but I asked about the amp burn-in, as I believe his amp is still well under the 100-200 hour mark recommended by the manufacturer.

If anyone can hear plastic burning in, or those tiny connectors, they have very Golden Ears. Or they're plain nuts.

Yeah, I am a little over 100 hours so it could very well be a combination of things or the amp still forming. Whatever it is, I am enjoying the results and that is what matters.

Relax and enjoy the music and life. It is all too short my friends so make it last while you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back