The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Jan 29, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #106 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't believe the abuse this guy has to put up with.

Keep in mind that perception is reality.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #107 of 837
It says more about the insidious and pervasive influence that shills have here than anything else. If jamato8's motivations are unfairly viewed as duplicitous, that's unfortunate. But it's simply a sign o the times. There are shills among us, and, to me, they cast doubt over the integrity of many of the reviews and threads on this site (although HF certainly isn't unique in this respect). We all suffer as a result.

jamato8 seems pretty mature and can handle it.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #108 of 837
He did indeed handle it with aplomb, good job jamato
smily_headphones1.gif
i too am pretty excited for this amp!

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #110 of 837
I found out that the gain of the Protector is:

2 6 and 11 in single ended and in balanced this doubles to 4 12 and 22. The run time in balanced is around 32 hours for something like the JH13 Pros and a little longer in single ended.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #111 of 837
Is that the effective gain on the output or the internal gain? I guess what I'm asking is if someone puts 1V in what do they get out?

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #113 of 837
I will be getting the Protector to listen to for a few days starting tomorrow and will post impressions of what I hear. I will be using the JH 13 Pro, HD650's and for fun I think I will change the plug on my Porta Pros that are balanced but with two mini's.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #115 of 837
It is an awesome little amp. You will love it. It doesn't sound like you are listening to a portable amp. On low gain, it can drive a pair of HD800 to loud levels, but I prefered the sound quality on medium gain. If you maxed out the volume on medium or high gain using a 4V source, you'd destroy your ear drums very fast. I can't even imagine how loud it would get with a pair of sensitive IEMs like the JH13 (119dB@1mW, 28 ohms).

I think someone said earlier it can swing 12V or 14V. Ray said it has two 8.4V batteries for a total of 16.8V. The power is not dual mono though.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #116 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is an awesome little amp. You will love it. It doesn't sound like you are listening to a portable amp. On low gain, it can drive a pair of HD800 to loud levels, but I prefered the sound quality on medium gain. If you maxed out the volume on medium or high gain using a 4V source, you'd destroy your ear drums very fast. I can't even imagine how loud it would get with a pair of sensitive IEMs like the JH13 (119dB@1mW, 28 ohms).

I think someone said earlier it can swing 12V or 14V. Ray said it has two 8.4V batteries for a total of 16.8V. The power is not dual mono though.

You're aware that gain says absolutely nothing about the quality of an amp of course?

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #119 of 837
The Protector has arrived.

As noted, it is the same size as the Predator.

It is easy to use and the connecter is a snap. The connector being very solid and just fitting the face of the Predator so everything looks right.

Of course what everyone wants to know is what it sounds like.

With a little bit of a warm up, 1/2 hour, the sound improved from being a little cold to natural. One thing I notice immediately is that cymbals, not always easy to get right have the true brass sound. Separation of side to side and front to back is excellent. Some cuts on Buena Vista that I thought were one voice I now can tell are two voices.

More to report later.

Edit: This Protector is broken in of course as it is the one Ray has been using and has taken to a recent meet. Even with that I notice that in doing an A/B to another amp for a baseline, it needs a bit of on time. I can hear changes on this broken in model after even 45 minutes but this is normal for any amp, at least in my experience. So if you get one besides the burn in period, on time will also be something to consider when listening, at least in my experience. This is a good thing to think about before proclaiming what it sounds like or for that matter the sound of most any amp. IMO

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #120 of 837
The JH13 Pro sounds downright beautiful with the Protector driving it balanced. JH13's images are now bigger, ambiance retrieval's better, soundstage is now around your head for the most part, and there's a lot more punch to the bass.

Note: Admittedly, I have not tried that many amps with the JH13. I've only had a MiniMax, Qinpu Q2, DNA Sonett, and the amp that comes with my Peachtree Audio Nova DAC which Sherwood likens it to a Gilmore Lite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back