The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Jan 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #91 of 837
jamato8, I think if you confirmed that you do not receive the equipment you review/discuss for free or at discount from MOTs or are otherwise compensated by same, then your motivation likely would not be questioned.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #92 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a few of the connectors Ray is going to use for the balanced amp today

I received some as well. Didn't even have to pay for them. I couldn't believe they are in fact magnetic!

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #94 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cute, but not convincing.

The manufacturers must be rubbing their hands with glee - this Pied Piper does not charge a fee.

Looks like I completely misread your intent there.

Ah well, a sobering lesson for myself. Not everyone is like me either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #95 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received some as well. Didn't even have to pay for them. I couldn't believe they are in fact magnetic!

I don't know what you got but the ones I received from Mouser are not magnetic.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #97 of 837
I used a very powerful magnet also. I don't know the pull. I suspect that it may be part of the plating process, which is very common even on connectors costing very big bucks. Unless flashing of gold with no nickel plating is used, most connectors have a very small amount of magnetism.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #98 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most connectors have a very small amount of magnetism.

yeah, I was surprised when you initially mentioned these were not magnetic, so I just had to test them.

Pretty handy that Mouser will hand out samples at the drop of the hat for independent evaluation!

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #99 of 837
I'm still interested in the question of whether you get freebies for reviewing stuff. Do you get freebies for reviewing stuff? If you do get freebies for reviewing stuff, I think it would be useful for people to know that you get freebies for reviewing stuff.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #100 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still interested in the question of whether you get freebies for reviewing stuff. Do you get freebies for reviewing stuff? If you do get freebies for reviewing stuff, I think it would be useful for people to know that you get freebies for reviewing stuff.

No I don't get freebies for reviewing stuff. I like to talk about what I do have and the impressions I have from listening. Over on the photo site where I am often I talk about my gear and about shooting and critiquing images. I have more photo gear than audio but both stretch back to the late 60's.

To the balanced amp, I think with the likes of the JH13's and then the 16's and the UE's and even other balanced phones, the enjoyment of music will just be enhanced. The changes in the last few years to portables are what I knew would and could happen, which is a closing of the portable/home amp difference.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #101 of 837
Quote:

yeah, I was surprised when you initially mentioned these were not magnetic, so I just had to test them.

Pretty handy that Mouser will hand out samples at the drop of the hat for independent evaluation!

Interesting. I have gotten opamp samples before, which is very nice. Well I am set for now with the plug. I am sure Mouser is reimbursed for the samples and is given a certain number that they can distribute.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #103 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you very much for that. I am unwilling to push this any further.

jamato8, I appreciate your response and apologize for impeding the dissemination of the virtues of this amp.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #104 of 837
Quote:

I understand now. You are talking about the female connector that mounts to the board. That has something like tin around the housing for the pins but that isn't in the signal path and I don't think that will have any effect on the sound as it is a distance from the pins and does not have a normal magnetic field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back