The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 30, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #605 of 837
I have had the chance to meet with Ray himself today at his place where all RSA amps are conceived and given life. I was like a kid at a candy store. I was on a shoulder of one of his trusted assembler looking at some amps buing assembled. Anyway, I blurted out " if I need something that could very much handle whatever I throw at it... what would you recommend?" he handed me a well-broken-in Protector and ran me thru both options. With all it's 4 amps balance firing... I was like " holy..." it was nirvana. He did warn me of what to expect but boy was that an understatement. I then proceeded to demo the entire line and the Protector is what I want but just not what I needed at the moment but would surely get one soon. At the end of the day... I went home with a Predator on hand.

Thanx again Ray and I will bring some of your stuff home as loaners
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #606 of 837
Just received my Protector after a travesty of a FedEx shipping experience but even with no burn-in what so ever I can say that this is one keeper. In balanced mode it elevates my JH13 to completely new levels. Now to give the rig 1½ days of IsoTek burn-in before taking it with me for Easter vacation. I'm keeping my place in the Pico Slim preorder but I am really having a hard time imagening how it would improve or even match what I'm hearing here.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #607 of 837
How does the Protector balanced out compare with the RSA Black Bird SR71A? Is it worth selling my SR71A and getting the protector instead?

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #608 of 837
No idea, never heard the Blackbird. The only other RSA amp I have heard (and owned) was the original Hornet but that was so long ago that I can't comment on the sound differences

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #609 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my Protector after a travesty of a FedEx shipping experience but even with no burn-in what so ever I can say that this is one keeper. In balanced mode it elevates my JH13 to completely new levels. Now to give the rig 1½ days of IsoTek burn-in before taking it with me for Easter vacation. I'm keeping my place in the Pico Slim preorder but I am really having a hard time imagening how it would improve or even match what I'm hearing here.

Mate you've probably got a dream portable rig
smily_headphones1.gif
congratulations, mission accomplished.

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #610 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

good to hear you like it
smily_headphones1.gif
we've got identical travel rigs with the 6.5 gen iPod classic to protector to jh-13's. Though i use mine at home too, with my Dac19 as the source, it get so much better than way
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #611 of 837
RSA HR-2 is brighter than Protector. I would be happy if Protector stay on the same brightness even after 200 hours of use. Music is more forward in balanced mode, I could hear music in front and in the back of my head, but that's only with certain songs. Listening to Enya's Sumiregusa, I felt like the song was wrapped around my head.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #612 of 837
Just a small teaser

protector.jpg

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #613 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by googleli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the Protector balanced out compare with the RSA Black Bird SR71A? Is it worth selling my SR71A and getting the protector instead?

IMHO, Yes. While I like the SR-71A when I have it but it can't compare to Protector in balanced mode.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #614 of 837
Balanced mode delivers louder deep bass in the soundtracks of Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill. It does great justice to those soundtracks. The deep bass deserves to be heard especially when it conveys an emotion. I like the part where Big Boss tells Snake to "let it go my son", "I'm not here to fight".
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back