The retro IEM thread. Lets talk about our old discontinued IEMs
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #46 of 263
If you can find them (with the proper fit and tips), the KEF M200 still has some of the most stunning bass and mids you can hear in an earphone. Some found a better fit by cutting off the flexible/bending thick rubber ear clips. I have gotten that bold yet, but with some patience, I can get a nice firm fit with these thick earphones. I use some Unique Melody ME 1 silicone tips on the KEFs, or the medium stock tips.

Ha, had forgotten about the M200s! You are bang on - I remember the bass being phenomenally good, and the mids too. The fit was mad though - I think I ended up snapping those annoying rubber things off. And driver flex too was a nightmare. Happy days - it was a simpler world back then.

I'd talk about the ear raping Ety ER4P too, but for some reason they don't seem discontinued.

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #48 of 263
i just found a picture of one of my first hybrids, the Fidue A83! i'd forgotten about these, but they were pretty amazing detailed and with big bass. the fit was funky, so i sold them and got the A73 i think it was? another hybrid, until the left side went out on them many years ago.

6e64225djw1eigsfx4hpyj21kw16o4jg.jpg
I still listen to mine. Fit was improved by using third party cables, though they spin freely at the connector. I have to EQ down 8k to take sibilance or they fatigue quickly. The detail is still amazing on this set.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #50 of 263
whatever happened to T-Peos? they were running with the bulls for awhile there, and then poof...gone.

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #53 of 263
Good thread @Dsnuts! I will be digging out my old classics and posting some pics shortly.

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #56 of 263
Still going strong...

IMG_20200808_133201~2.jpg

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #57 of 263
Still going strong...

IMG_20200808_133201~2.jpg
How did you like ours? i got them as a christmas present in 2014, and i tried to hold on to them for as long as i could, since my mom got them for me, but i couldn't get used to the prominent flabby bass and the narrowish stage.

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #58 of 263
DSC07436.JPG I remember when I mentioned on one of the threads about the MP8320 a long long time ago in the old headfi threads. People started to get angry. One fool got banned. I mean it was so strange that someone would mention how good this $7.11 earphone can be and at the time there was no such thing as budget earphones being mentioned on the threads. That was like breaking an unsaid rule. Lol.

After selling out 3 large batches of these earphones on Monoprice web site. These are sub $10 earphones that hold up even today. Got them connected to my Fiio M15. Never sounded better. These aren't the most refined and there are better offerings now a days in the sub $20 category but these had a place in earphone history due to being the first sub $10 earphone to make waves on headfi. Before Chi fi was Chi fi. There was the MP8320.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #59 of 263
One from early 2005

My first little comparison. The C710 and the JVC/Victor NX55.

P1010035.jpg

The NX55 is the neckstrap version of the FX55S. The FX55 was the first JVC in-ear AFAIK and for sure their first released in the US. It was my first ever canalphone. The FX55S is a cable change a Gumy material change from the original FX55. My contention is that it is their second best phone behind the FX500.

The Denon is a more sensitive phone, 16 Ohm/110 sensitivity while the NX55 is 32 Ohm/95 sensitivity.

The Denon signature is more bass, more bright and extended treble while the NX55 has less bass and treble presence making the mids a bit more in your face. The soundtages are presented different but the image size is almost the same. The NX55 has more separation with more air around instruments and between vocals.

These are interesting earphones. Both try and mimic a larger headphone sound pretty well. Some nice reverb, good placement and distinction between impact of bass notes, decent imaging/depth overall and a large soundstage.

The Denon is a bit crisper and has more detail and treble presence/extension. I don't feel feel they really are that much ahead of the Victor though. Listening one after the other is fairly competitive. The more refined Denon versus the Victor which does have more forward vocals that are a bit more syrupy and sweet. I used to listen to the AKG K401 and the FX55 and for sure most all the Victor/JVC phones have pretty sweet mids(except for the DX1). The bass seems to go as low on both earphones but the NX55 has less bass with a quicker decay down low. At times a bit more punchy on the attack and a bit more agile. I might prefer the Victor staging the bass behind the vocals a bit more.

Overall, these are two of the more enjoyable earphones I have come across. Different but both aggressive, quick, large sounding with engaging bass and mids. The Denon has better objective SQ but subjectively they are near equally enjoyable to me.

The second comparison is the C710 vs. The CK10

P1010025-1.jpg

Well, the Denon is a lovely sounding phone. It does fall a bit short of the high end though. My CK10 which I run with an S-adapter and E2C black silicones is a clearer window into the music. The Denon sounds a bit veiled in comparison. The soundstage is slightly smaller. The CK10's greater separation and air help make the Denon seem smaller sounding also. The clarity is high end and the transparency is noticeably better for the Technica. The overall frequency range is wider for the CK10. The Denon sounds a bit slow and sluggish after listening to the CK10 first. The C710 is not really outclassed but beaten in most aspects. You can't go right away from one to the other like the NX55 and C710. Some time needs to be spent away from the CK10 and then the Denon will sound better again.
Coverd the JVC, Denon and AT a bit. Turns out I had the original Japan FX55(kitten damage weakend and later killed it), the Japan only NX55 neckband version and now the US version FX55 is the third time. UE SF3 Studio was the only other time I bought something 3 times.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #60 of 263
I've still got my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's and they're still going strong. I still rate these headphones very highly and still use them as a yardstick against other IEM's. I recently listed all the PDA (personal digital assistants) I have had (and sold on) over the years and was utterly stunned when I realised just how many I have had in my possession at some point. I suspect that if I started listing headphones that have passed through my hands, the results would be one hell of a massive list.

20171229_174700.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back