The retro IEM thread. Lets talk about our old discontinued IEMs
Aug 7, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #31 of 263
Here’s some retro old school that goes WAY back to my youth.

Totally rad dude, gag me with a spoon!

Mint condition Sony Sports MDR-W20G, upgraded with MX500 drivers and balanced plug conversion. Paired with a mint WM-AF54 Sports Walkman:
9F2DAD4C-6B82-4D0B-BE82-4C05A4E69B07.jpeg

But wait, the Walkman sports a hidden secret (say whaaaaaaa?):
C3FEBC1E-8100-459C-A0D7-34E80298B2EA.jpeg
5805383E-A07C-4785-AE48-1E3A7369776D.jpeg

Retro meets 2020!

This Pikachu pokemon headphone would be the perfect match for your gear! Wow i think your Sony gem can be sold for a big profit if you ever let it go on ebay or a museum!

pikachu.jpg

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #32 of 263
Wow i think your Sony gem can be sold for a big profit if you ever let it go on ebay or a museum!

Love the pikachu headphone haha!

As far as selling the Sony, I don’t think most people would appreciate it. I did keep all of the cassette player guts; it basically comes out in 1 piece due use to its modular design.

Just like I tried to sell my near mint condition, fully restored, fully upgraded 1989 chrome GT Pro Performer (no rust, no cracked welds, garage kept, black 5-star Skyways, Redline 3-piece chromoly crank, etc). No one wanted it (locally, anyways). So I just kept it, where it gets the love and appreciation it deserves :)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #33 of 263
My first good IEM was the Brainwavz R3. In November 2013, I bought an ibasso Dx50 and it included this IEM as gift. It weight and shape made them very uncomfortable. I gave them to my father, he may still keep them.

R3_2_new_5000x.jpg

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #34 of 263
I still have my prototype version somewhere. It was interesting idea they had going with that design. They do look like little bombs hanging off your ears. If I remember correct. Zero Audio did a dual dynamic that was equally bombastic looking duoZa I believe. I will have to see if I can find my pair.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #36 of 263
The benefit of not cable swapping was good and bad. In hind sight I am glad most IEMs have moved onto cable swapping but that opens up another can. Which you guys know all about now a days. Most of my older earphones were not able to cable swap which were more prone to breakage. Then your screwed unless your a wiz at soldering.

Would be cool to get a 2 pin mod for some of my older earphones just so I can try different cables on them.

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #38 of 263
I use to buy all the highly rated earphones from joker’s thread. Also cleo’s thread. Too bad I don’t have any of them around anymore. I’d love to just pop some of those in and have a listen.

Hm. With all due respect to very good reviewers that are still doing informative work here, IMO, the two fellows you mention are the pinnacle of the golden age of reviewers

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #44 of 263
I use to buy all the highly rated earphones from joker’s thread. Also cleo’s thread. Too bad I don’t have any of them around anymore. I’d love to just pop some of those in and have a listen.

Likewise. joker and Clios were my go to recommenders for years.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #45 of 263
Great thread! Here are 3 of my favorites from yesteryear.. Fischer Audio DBA-02, Hifiman RE-262, and T-Peos Altone 200. You didn't have to worry about cable swapping back then!

DBA-02:
DBA-02.jpg

RE-262:
RE-262.jpg

Altone 200:
$ROYMW9O.jpg
I owned the DB-02 (and was just commenting on it a few weeks ago on the discovery page) and the T-Peos. The T-Peos was a recommendation from this head-fi'er who had an avatar of samuel jackson from Django, when my TF10's got sold, and i said i wanted something similar in sound. I picked up those Altone's and though pretty good technically, the recessed mids were way more than the TF10, and really didn't match the sound all that well. Sold off almost immediately. The DB02's were a personal favorite, and i loved the details it spit out. So much fun, but they liked to pop out of my ears too much, and the bass was anemic when i didn't have my amp handy, so after some hard contemplation, i sold those off too. wish i hadn't. they are no longer available anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back